Booting and Setting up my DIY PC 101

Before going in depth and building my own pc for the  very first time, i want to know if i can do booting my self . 

Downloading windows , updating mobo and gpu .... etc etc all of that great stuff ...

Can someone like me who has never done it before boot up a pc ? 

Give tips , advices , and if possible send me a very nice and detailed video on youtube on how to boot up your new pc... cuz ive seen some, but every time i go there i am like " I'll never do this cr@p work .... ''

Also , in order to download windows , do i have to build an optical drive too? if so , does it have to be a specific type? ex ; CD/BLUE RAY or .... RCD what ever ....

all you have to do is get a copy of windows on a flash drive. which you can buy that way or download a version onto a flashdrive and buy the key. get into the motherboard bios screen which is specific to your motherboard and then boot your system from the flash drive. 

-moved to general discussion-

To boot up your PC, make sure it's plugged in, and then turn it on.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, giliagmon said:

all you have to do is get a copy of windows on a flash drive. which you can buy that way or download a version onto a flashdrive and buy the key. get into the motherboard bios screen which is specific to your motherboard and then boot your system from the flash drive. 

So , i plug my pc , start it , spam a key ( i think DEL or sth ) get to the mobo screen and insert the flash drive which has windows 10 downloaded ? 

Don't I have to download  versions for my GPU ? If so , will that require my flash drive , if yes , do I proceed on that before or after installing windows 10 ?

How can i download windows on its own , to a flash drive , and then buy a key and use it? 

Also , how come, microsoft is selling windows 10 for 135 $ and on the internet every one sells it for way less ... ? even my dominant well known reliable chain of electronics in my country sells it for 110 $ ( Like saying wallmart in america )

A good tip:

Have a working computer beside you so you can google, download drivers etc.

Retail stores selling windows cheaper than ms because they're retail stores they offer discount. Other place selling keys that are unreasonably cheap (eg $30 versus normal price of $100+) are illegal keys. You should avoid these.

If you have windows installation media on a DVD or a usb drive, just plug in and boot. The installation interface would be loaded automatically.

5 hours ago, mach said:

A good tip:

Have a working computer beside you so you can google, download drivers etc.

Retail stores selling windows cheaper than ms because they're retail stores they offer discount. Other place selling keys that are unreasonably cheap (eg $30 versus normal price of $100+) are illegal keys. You should avoid these.

If you have windows installation media on a DVD or a usb drive, just plug in and boot. The installation interface would be loaded automatically.

ok , so ill just buy an optical drive , windows 10 on cd ( 64 bit ) and run it ...  does the optical drive have to be something specific ?

For example will this '' LG GH24NSD1 '' work ? I only want it for windows 10 so i dont want to buy something expensive .

And also , does it matter that windows 10 im buying , are called DSP ? whats the difference , cause ive seen OEM and ESD as well and i cant understand ....

8 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

ok , so ill just buy an optical drive , windows 10 on cd ( 64 bit ) and run it ...  does the optical drive have to be something specific ?

For example will this '' LG GH24NSD1 '' work ? I only want it for windows 10 so i dont want to buy something expensive .

imo anything would work

OK... You need complete guide? I'm on mobile, but I'll cook something up. Let's start by saying that I haven't installed any Win10 yet. So heads up on that.

1. Preparations.

You can use USB for OS image. You can get image from Microsoft. If possible, use USB2 for stick and port. Works more reliably.

Download mobo and GPU drivers, any drivers for peripherals and essential software and put them on another stick. You'll need at least chipset, LAN, USB3 and audio. You can use Ninite.com for essential software.

Don't worry about updating BIOS. That's something you should avoid as beginner.

2. First boot. Before booting connect USB with OS. You can go for direct install with OS or check that mobo sees your drives. Either way you can leave OS installer connected for whole time. It will ask for booting from "disk".

3. Windows and the rest. Installing Windows is like other software. Mostly clicking next and yes. Important parts are selecting correct drive (format and partition if its brand new) and setting up users. You can also enter key during installation or do it later.

After you get to desktop, check if internet is working. If it isn't, install LAN driver from stick. Then chipset. After this Windows will download updates and should also install most of drivers. You can use the ones on stick too. It doesn't matter in which order you do it. And you can start installing other software at this point too.

Thats about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv