Connected but no internet

Outragious
Go to solution Solved by Outragious,

I went ahead and reset my computer, and have internet access again. Thank you for your help.

My desktop is connected to the internet through a pcie x1 network card. I can see all the networks, and connect to my router. However, when i connect i am told i have no internet access. I look at the router, and see my computer is on the wireless clients list as connected. The mac address shows up, but the name and ip address show as unknown. i have reinstalled the driver, and restarted the router. I still can't get internet. My laptop is sitting besides me and I can surf the net on it. I even tried an usb network adapter on my desktop, and get the same result. I am at a loss for what to do. Please help.

you'll need to double check that your router has DHCP enabled, if it is, and is still isn't working, try setting a manual static IP for your desktop that is in the same subnet normally the first 3 octets will be the same and just the last digits will be different gateway should be the router's IP address, and DNS should also be the router's IP (you can also use things like google public DNS or OpenDNS here too)

if that works, then the issue is with the DHCP either on the router, or the PC

When i set a static Ip address, my default gateway keeps getting removed. My wireless card is wifi adapter 3.

ipconfig2.png

1. Try pinging 127.0.0.1 (Not 172.0.0.1) - Share results
  2. Also, make sure your network interface is enabled under Network Connections (Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections)LTT-TopicNET_797026_V1.png.85fb6ffd43a7c6a134a4594f0145ea69.png

1 minute ago, Outragious said:

ipconfig3.png

Crap, sorry, my home network starts with 172.16.x.x, you're gonna want to ping 127.0.0.1.

Try the following steps, seeing if the issue is resolved after each one.

1. First, try to disable then enable the network interface. (Right click on the interface then click Disable, repeat to enable.)
  2. Try using the diagnose option in the menu when right-clicking the interface....
    Spoiler

Yea I know the utility sucks, but It can find stupid stuff quick.

3. Open Device Manager (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager)
  4. Expand the Network Adapters tab, then open the properties of the Wi-Fi card.

5. LTT-TopicNET_797236_V1.png.fd458f73c61c6bef876def25a4a6b05c.png

6. Warning, this step could cause more issues, but has a good chance to solve the issue! Uninstall the driver, then reboot, hopefully, Windows will reinstall the network driver. If you have Windows 8 or newer, the odds are really good, this is also where it can go wrong if it doesn't reinstall.

7. Take note of all the info or take a screen shot, check the manufacturer of the PC, motherboard, or NIC's site for an up to date driver for your version of Windows. Once you find one, get it installed on the PC. ONLY TRUST THE OFFICAL SITES OF THE HARDWARE!

I have done all of that before. all the trouble shooter gives me is all the Ethernet ports have issues (it thinks drivers), but my wireless isn't included in the list (never works). i can make it troubleshoot the device specifically, but it gives me the driver issue and can't fix it. I have completely uninstalled the device, and reinstalled it. something i should mention i was a computer tech in a computer repair business for a year and a half, and for the life of me can't figure out why it isn't working.

Ah, FYI, just list the steps you took to start out then next time :)

• Do you not have a wired NIC on the motherboard?
  • Is the wireless card on the desktop showing that it's connected to an SSID? Also, can you view the status of the NIC?
  • LTT-TopicNET_797136_V2.png.4cf4b716ba72856a31320b114370a9c4.png
  • Check the properties under the interface and post the results, example below.
  • LTT-TopicNET_797136_V1.png.65661c514aba537c0b89ba337cd3ec92.png
  • Have you attempted to uninstall all of the VPN apps you have? If not, uninstall them all if you can.
  • Did you upgrade from Windows X to Windows 10 I'm gonna guess?
  • Have you verified the driver is installed for the PCIe NIC card, also is this the card you have installed? If not, please link it.
  • Have you thought about reinstalling Windows? I would say that's a last resort thing, but you may have to.
  • Do you have any anti-virus or firewall installed like Norton, AVG, Glasswire, Comodo, etc.? If so, try disabling, repairing, or removing the software.

I do have a wired nic on the motherboard, but have decided to go wireless. Running a Ethernet cable is not an option. I can find the ssid. When I log into the router my computer shows up, but it is only identifiable by the mac address. My computer shows up with unknown as the name, and the ip address. vpn apps gone. I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate. i pulled the driver straight from the man manufacturer. It has worked up until now. I could no longer receive internet after i installed cam software in order to control my nzxt hue+ led module. i left this out as i had uninstalled the program and reinstalled it several times and the problem was still there the whole time.

status.png

I forgot, I use Eset Smart Security as my anti virus. it hasn't been a problem yet, and realized you had the card already.

Hey, sorry for the delay, completely remove any and all A/V or firewall, this includes Eset Smart Security if you haven't already.

If that doesn't work, then we'll have to reset TCP/IP and DHCP,

1. Start command prompt as an administrator
  2. Type in netsh int ip reset c:\tcpipresetlog.log - This command has the same effect as removing and reinstalling TCP/IP and logs data to c:\tcpipresetlog.txt.
  3. Restart the computer.

If the last step failed, try resetting the Winsock Catalog.

1. Start command prompt as an administrator
  2. Type in netsh winsock reset c:\winsockreset.log - This command resets the Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioned LSP. Also, it logs the output.
  3. Restart the computer.

i removed eset and ran both commands to no avail. I am not sure why access is denied on the first one, as i ran cmd in administrator mode.

one.png

two.png

is this the only wireless device not getting internet?

and are you set to a static IP?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I have tried setting a static ip, but the default gateway is always cleared when i go back and check the ipv4 settings. everything else is connecting.

6 hours ago, Tsuki said:

is this the only wireless device not getting internet?

and are you set to a static IP?

A static IP has nothing to do with this, the NIC is acting like the IP stack isn't even loaded.

5 hours ago, Outragious said:

I have tried setting a static ip, but the default gateway is always cleared when i go back and check the ipv4 settings. everything else is connecting.

You may be approaching the point where you need to reinstall windows. Before we do that, is there a way to the test the Wi-FI card in another Windows 10 system with the same drivers. Maybe reseat the card, don't this it will help, but you never know. Also, run an SFC scan if you haven't.

On 23/06/2017 at 1:47 PM, Chaz042 said:

Ah, FYI, just list the steps you took to start out then next time :)

• Do you not have a wired NIC on the motherboard?
  • Is the wireless card on the desktop showing that it's connected to an SSID? Also, can you view the status of the NIC?
  •  
  • Check the properties under the interface and post the results, example below.
  •  
  • Have you attempted to uninstall all of the VPN apps you have? If not, uninstall them all if you can.
  • Did you upgrade from Windows X to Windows 10 I'm gonna guess?
  • Have you verified the driver is installed for the PCIe NIC card, also is this the card you have installed? If not, please link it.
  • Have you thought about reinstalling Windows? I would say that's a last resort thing, but you may have to.
  • Do you have any anti-virus or firewall installed like Norton, AVG, Glasswire, Comodo, etc.? If so, try disabling, repairing, or removing the software.

Why hide your internal IP address? No one is going hack you... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Why hide your internal IP address? No one is going hack you... 

@Abdul201588 Not my PC, not my network, also some of the redacted info are public IPs and public hostnames that would divulge info, so yeah, it's for privacy more than anything.

I booted my computer up from my windows to go, and pulled the driver from my hard drive for the network adapter. I can connect to the internet on my windows to go.

14 minutes ago, Outragious said:

I booted my computer up from my windows to go, and pulled the driver from my hard drive for the network adapter. I can connect to the internet on my windows to go.

Good, there are no hardware issues then, have you tried running an SFC scan?

I went ahead and reset my computer, and have internet access again. Thank you for your help.

9 hours ago, Outragious said:

Your welcome, sorry it required a reinstall.