gtx 1070's are unavailable, what now?

Larrie_c

I was planning to build a system after my finals. It would be a amd ryzen 5 1600 and a gtx 1070 or even a 1080 if it fitted my budget. A few months ago i saw gtx 1070's on amazon for about €380 to low-400 . Now, my finals are done, but there is all the mining-craze going on. Prices went up and the only cards available (if i can even  find one) right now are costing me around €550. 

Anyone who knows if the prices or the availability will change, or should i just wait for amd vega to come out? 

It's really hard to say what will happen and when it ends.

If you're willing to, you could look on the used market for a 980 ti.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

2 minutes ago, Larrie_c said:

Snip

Anyone who knows if the prices or the availability will change, or should i just wait for amd vega to come out? 

I'm not saying wait for Vega, but the mining GPUs should be coming out soon. Specifically designed for mining. No video out. It should help relieve pressure of the regular GPUs.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm not saying wait for Vega, but the mining GPUs should be coming out soon. Specifically designed for mining. No video out. It should help relieve pressure of the regular GPUs. 

Than i will probably wait for a few weeks. As it is my first build, i don't realy prefer second hand stuff yet. 

This small group of people, called miners, buy up all the GPU stock. 

They are to blame. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I doubt that will help.

The mining GPUs will come from the same fabs the normal ones come from. Right now the issue is the fabs can't produce fast enough for the demand.

Eventually all the mining GPUs will be gone and then everyone goes back to the normal GPUs. Hooray.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It should help relieve pressure of the regular GPUs.

Not really sure how that works, there is a set manufacturing yield that these companies can make, the only way to alleviate the miners buying everything would to increase the total yield which only someone like Nvidia would be able to do, but their cards aren't good for mining anyway. 

And even after that the miners will just buy the normal GPUs anyway. 

You think miners are going to care? They are like a disease growing on the PC community. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DocSwag said:

Eventually all the mining GPUs will be gone and then everyone goes back to the normal GPUs. Hooray.

I concur with your enthusiasm. However, it's got me tempted to over sell my R9 380, but I feel bad that someone would pay me close to 400 for something I paid 220 for...

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You think miners are going to care? They are like a disease growing on the PC community. 

You bring a good point.. damned hipsters.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

400 for something I paid 220 for.

Nah I just checked, nobody wants the R9 380

just sit back and wait for the Etherium bubble to burst, it won't go much longer, just like Bitcoin it will reach a point where GPU mining isn't efficient and will move on to ASIC's or some other device built specifically for Etherium mining

25 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Nah I just checked, nobody wants the R9 380

People are buying them in Amazon at that price... Which is dumb. Maybe it's money laundering, which is more likely.

48 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

The business reasons to provide "mining GPUs" confounds me. Theoretically these cards would have to have similar performance-per-dollar to the ordinary gaming counterparts, and yet in order for anyone to want one they would have to be cheaper. I'm not sure how that makes any sense from AMD's/Nvidia's perspective, unless they have a lot of chips lying around that are fit for mining but cannot be sold for gaming, somehow. Otherwise they'd just sell them as higher-margin gaming cards. Just leaving the video out ports off doesn't count for much, I don't think.

59 minutes ago, Larrie_c said:

I was planning to build a system after my finals. It would be a amd ryzen 5 1600 and a gtx 1070 or even a 1080 if it fitted my budget. A few months ago i saw gtx 1070's on amazon for about €380 to low-400 . Now, my finals are done, but there is all the mining-craze going on. Prices went up and the only cards available (if i can even  find one) right now are costing me around €550. 

The reason the prices suck right know is cause everyone has bought up all the competing RX 480's due to the bit coins rising value. So know everyone's got no choice but to buy a GTX 1070. Also most people right now are selling there RX 480 to buy a GTX 1070. So the demand for GPU's in general is really high right now. (EX: GTX 970 selling for $350). Right now is a terrible time to buy a Graphics card. I recommend not buying a Graphics card right now at all, even a used one.

PC SPECS

CPU: i5 4690k OC 4.4Ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 Strix OC 

Storage: 1TB HDD, 240GB sandisk SSD

Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61

Case: NZXT S340 elite

PSU: EVGA BQ 650W

Motherboard: Asus - B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX

RAM: 8x2 (16Gb) Generic kingston ddr3 1600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta love that comic sans am I right?

I love to joke around,i'm not at all a professional.

1 hour ago, Sovietpizza said:

The reason the prices suck right know is cause everyone has bought up all the competing RX 480's due to the bit coins rising value. So know everyone's got no choice but to buy a GTX 1070. Also most people right now are selling there RX 480 to buy a GTX 1070. So the demand for GPU's in general is really high right now. (EX: GTX 970 selling for $350). Right now is a terrible time to buy a Graphics card. I recommend not buying a Graphics card right now at all, even a used one.

No. It's not due to bitcoin.

13 hours ago, Larrie_c said:

Than i will probably wait for a few weeks. As it is my first build, i don't realy prefer second hand stuff yet. 

If you are upgrading then you might look at second hand things

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

16 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Or 970 if you want to get less temptation in your wallet

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

19 hours ago, typographie said:

The business reasons to provide "mining GPUs" confounds me. Theoretically these cards would have to have similar performance-per-dollar to the ordinary gaming counterparts, and yet in order for anyone to want one they would have to be cheaper. I'm not sure how that makes any sense from AMD's/Nvidia's perspective, unless they have a lot of chips lying around that are fit for mining but cannot be sold for gaming, somehow. Otherwise they'd just sell them as higher-margin gaming cards. Just leaving the video out ports off doesn't count for much, I don't think.

From what it looks like, these specific cards don't have any display out. These are built around the same architecture, but don't have to output any image. It looks like somehow eliminating this allows the GPU's to be clocked much higher than a gaming GPU would be since it's only being used for compute and not rendering? So it may cost a bit more, but you'll theoretically get much more performance from them than gaming/production oriented cards.

14 hours ago, StomptomdFTW said:

ebay has them for sure. 

ebay pricing is pretty bad too, just checked

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

19 hours ago, typographie said:

What might make a good miner GPU is different than what makes a good gaming GPU, even if they come off the same process. It is similar to AMD 8 core Ryzen processors if you compare the 1700 and 1800X. For gaming GPUs, you want to get higher clocks, and care less about power. For mining, you want a reasonable level of performance, but at low power. Lower clock binned chips that might not make the cut for gaming could still be useful for mining. Combined with potentially lower finished product costs due to reduced ports and associated circuitry, it could make mining slightly better value, and stretch out the bubble.

16 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

It's due to Ethereum.

On the AMD side perhaps, but Zcash seems to be driving similarly on nvidia.

I don't know when the end will come, but it may be different than the original bitcoin bubble. Now we have multiple currencies. As any of these gets over-mined, there are also others that might start to look more interesting. So while I still expect a drop eventually, I think it wouldn't be as sharp as before.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Lower clock binned chips that might not make the cut for gaming could still be useful for mining. Combined with potentially lower finished product costs due to reduced ports and associated circuitry, it could make mining slightly better value, and stretch out the bubble.

It seems to me that leaves Nvidia and AMD with a razor's edge balancing act between power, performance, and revenue for themselves that I don't entirely trust them to achieve and maintain. Add to that complexity the wildly different power costs in other areas where these cards would likely have different prices, as well. Past experience with big corporate entities trying to capitalize on viral phenomena doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence that they're going to be as nimble and aggressive as they need to.

I saw some 970 selling for ~200 cad (used ofc). That's not an amazing deal, but compare it to R9 290... ~300 cad. Crazy stuff. People were selling R9 290's for 150 cad before mining craze.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)