project: TRON

Greetings.

I am finally able to post a build log!

Let's get the specs out of the way first.

Spoiler

CASE: InWin 303

MOTHERBOARD: MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro

CPU: AMD R7 1700

GPU: AMD RX 480

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x16GB @ 2133MHz

STORAGE: Toshiba XG3 256GB m.2 SSD

Western Digital Black 2TB HDD

PSU: Silverstone Strider 850W Platnium

You may be wondering why I bought the RX 480 to watercool it, and there is a valid argument of purchasing a better performing card for the price of the card plus the block. But since this will be my first watercooling build, I have the idea to just upgrade the parts down the road when I feel like I need to, rather than building a whole new loop to include the graphics card.

Having the graphics card now in creating the loop mitigates that problem, and I really don't think I need more power than a RX 480 on water for performance.

On to watercooling parts!

Spoiler

RADS: 1xAlphacool NexXxos 45mm X-Flow

1xAlphacool NexXxos 30mm X-Flow

PUMP/RES COMBO: EK D5 PWM with 100mL res top

CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro

GPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV

FANS: 7xBeQuiet! SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM

COOLANT: PrimoChill True Infused Opaque Sky White concentrate

This is the current state of the build right now and I am currently waiting for shipment of the PETG tubing, coolant concentrate, as well as the drain port system (bunch of Bitspower fittings) from Performance-PCs.com.

I will update as soon as the rest of the parts arrive!

Have a good day!

0622170548a.jpg

Small update:

Went to a Microcenter nearby and bought some tubing (yay!) The problem with that though is that they didn't have the size of the tubing that would fit my fittings... :(

So I bought another set of fittings that are the size of the tubing I have (besides, the size of the fittings I had were incredibly hard to find tubing for anyway, so I thought I'd go with a more "standard" sized tubing).

While I am waiting on those, I finally decided on where I would set up my drain port.

I forgot about the fact that my rad on the bottom actually has 4 ports, two on either end opposing each other.

0623171727.jpg

So I thought since that IS the lowest part of the loop, I would set up my drain port there using a 90° extender and a ball valve, sticking it out on the bottom twoPCIe slots on the case.

0623171728.jpg

Well, that's it for today and hopefully the fittings come soon. ^^;

I like the all black look of the parts! The black with the white fluid and case sounds like it'll look good... followed!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

That's a lot of rads for a single CPU+GPU! Looking forward to the completed build.

On 6/22/2017 at 2:26 PM, DocSwag said:

I like the all black look of the parts! The black with the white fluid and case sounds like it'll look good... followed!

Thank you!

I initially thought about using pastel pink coolant (like how I have customized some of the characters in games, lol) but I figured going for 3-tone would look just awful, so I opted to go white. :)

On 6/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, Zhanming12 said:

That's a lot of rads for a single CPU+GPU! Looking forward to the completed build.

I've always had a problem with heat management during summer (when I lived in southwest coast area) and I figured northeast coast regions would also cause some heat problems during the summer (and my room is an oven, and it's barely even summer!)

so I figured better to go overkill cooling than overkill heat, lol

and I am thinking of maybe getting another card in the future ^^

Update: The first part of the fittings (the drain port) and the fluid came (yay!) so I set the drain port.

0627172147.jpg

0627172149.jpg

Honestly, watercooling is a lot more work than I thought it'd be... 

I found out over reading the documentation of the fluid that it has to be changed every 6 months or so, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up but I hope it's all worth it in the end!

0627172154.jpg

2 gallons of distilled water, check.

0630170240b.thumb.jpg.39372449781fc99d75cf46163f0e0e3b.jpg

pair of scissors, check.

0630170240e.thumb.jpg.951b9004f303440ff819167208d86d71.jpg

fittings, check.

0630170239b.thumb.jpg.3124dc1f19f524e853ab12aebed25e32.jpg

The hardest bends ended up being the shortest ones - the ones connecting the pump and the bottom rad, and the bottom rad to the graphics card.

0630171241.thumb.jpg.c7dae7530ccbae9fb07a4e28126c0ed8.jpg

I feel like I could have done a better job with the tubing, but overall, I am satisfied with how it turned out. ^^

0630171941a.thumb.jpg.fb49f13663d2ccfbe6a009a794637db1.jpg

There are still some air bubbles that will have to bleed out, but for the most part. it's running beautifully!

Idle temps are about 40 degrees on the CPU and the GPU, with load temps - Prime95 and Furmark - being around 50 on the CPU and high 40s on the GPU.

The fans and the pump are barely even running, lol

I dropped 15 degrees or so from water, and the more exciting thing is that the load temps are very, very consistent with the idle temps!