Imagination, Designer of Apple's GPUs, Puts Itself up for Sale

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11569/imagination-technologies-formally-puts-itself-up-for-sale

As some of you may remember, close to 3 months ago Imagination, the company that has been designing the GPUs Apple has been using in their SoCs for generations now, announced that Apple had informed them that in a year or two Apple would stop using Imagination PowerVR GPUs in its SoCs. Due to around half of Imagination's revenue coming solely from Apple, this was a huge bombshell and shortly after Imagination stock fell A LOT. Before the announcement imagination stock was priced at around $280 per share, but immediately after it dropped to $100, though now it's managed to climb back to about $140 per share, or around half of what the stock was priced at before the announcement.

Around a month after the initial announcement Imagination announced that they would be selling off the other parts of its business, focusing solely on its most profitable business, the GPU business. However, now it seems that Imagination has instead decided to, instead of trying to survive off its GPUs, put itself on sale.

While the company as a whole was not formally up for sale until today, as you’d expect for a company in difficult circumstances like Imagination, that option has unofficially been on the table since the start. To that end, Imagination has reported that a number of parties have expressed an interest in buying the entire company. As noted in Imagination’s press release:

Imagination Technologies Group plc (LSE: IMG, “Imagination”, “the Group”) announces that over the last few weeks it has received         interest from a number of parties for a potential acquisition of the whole Group. The Board of Imagination has therefore decided to initiate a formal sale process for the Group and is engaged in preliminary discussions with potential bidders.

At this time Imagination is not naming any suitors – and indeed is warning that a sale may not go through at all – though at this stage it’s difficult to imagine someone not taking advantage of the situation. Imagination’s PowerVR GPU IP alone is valuable to virtually all of the major SoC vendors, not to mention IP powerhouses and former customers such as Qualcomm, Intel, Samsung, and of course, Apple.

As for a potential price for the company, assuming Imagination were purchased wholesale, after today’s announcement the company’s market cap has jumped to £400M (~$500M USD). At about half of the company’s 52-week high, this would be significantly cheaper than had anyone attempted to purchase the company before the Apple split. The final price tag then would be somewhat higher, as a sale would almost certainly come with a premium over the company’s current stock price.

What would be quite interesting is if, in the end, Apple would turn out to be the one who purchases Imagination. A lot of features from the PowerVR architecture are used in iOS App Development, including PowerVR Texture Compression, so moving away from PowerVR wouldn't be an easy feat for Apple. However, with Imagination's market cap currently at around $500 million, or about half of what they were at before the initial announcement, if Apple bought them now they could purchase the company for significantly cheaper than what it might have initially cost them.

At any rate, I'm quite interested to see who might end up purchasing Imagination. There are lots of companies out there that might be potential buyers and regardless of who will end up purchasing Imagination this might end up changing the mobile SoC market in the future.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

If apple buys them now, that's some pure, dastardly, deviously, well play move right there

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Gimme $500 million and I'll buy them!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

If apple buys them now, that's some pure, dastardly, deviously, well play move right there

Sneaky Apple... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Yeah, it'd be a bit difficult for them to stop using PowerVR in the future so if they could just go ahead and swallow imagination up for half the original price, that'd be really good for them.

And they would have tighter control over them which might result in better GPU performance on iOS. Win win for Apple, really.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

News is already official that Apple will stop using Imagination's GPUs.

If they pull a 180 and gobble up Imagination, such an act is almost criminal and they would get sued big time by the state.

It would also be a pr disaster and destroy the trust of other companies who have business dealings with Apple.

Apple with its bottomless pocket would have no problem paying full price for majority control of the company anyway.

Are there laws against doing this?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

News is already official that Apple will stop using Imagination's GPUs.

Even if they stop using Imagination's GPUs, it mùight make sense for Apple to gobbble them up for cheap now to avoid potential patent infringements later.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Apple should buy them (patent dispustes are so lame), they have proven to be excellent GPU designers and already had a great reputation while working with Apple. 

In that sense, other buyers may find them also quite enticing and enriching for their companies sincee they helped such a giant so far.

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its as good as fraud/extortion

If Apple buys Imagination, it means that their claim to stop using Imagination's tech was a lie to force stock price to go below its true value (which is what it had been before the announcement) so that Apple could buy the company for cheap. For example telling an addict that you will stop supplying drugs to him, knowing that he has no alternate sources and that his reaction will be to offer to buy at much higher price.

Technically though it wasn't apple that made the announcement, but imagination though? :P 

Also, apple might've phrased it cleverly, maybe saying something like, "We'll stop using powervr GPUs." Imagination is planning on a new gpu architecture called furian in a few years, so apple could end up using that and calling it something other than powervr.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

If they acquire, that's some Silicon Valley Gavin Belson shit from Apple. And now I'm grown up and slightly jaded about the world, I would applaud them for their ruthlessness.

Just now, huilun02 said:

The call was made by Apple. Imagination merely released it to public. Imagination and the public has reacted. It is now on Apple to not go back on their word.

Apple phrasing it cleverly doesn't change public opinion of it being one slimy bastard of a company. Would you want to deal with such a company? Or rather an industry giant that can maintain respect?

The thing is, who out there even knows what powervr is? Or who imagination is? Or even what the hell a gpu is?

95% of people that buy apple products have no idea what the heck all this stuff is. In fact, I don't think mainstream media would really report on something like this, only tech media. And 95% of Apple customers don't read tech news. 

Also, I would buy stuff anyways. A company is a company. Companies work for money.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi

WOW , that's really interesting !! One of the potential buyers might be apple as others said too but i don't think that they agree to sell their business to apple for this cheap knowing that apple said that to be able to buy them for cheap so I think even if apple wants to buy them (means they are not truly able to make their own GPUs) , the imagination won't agree.

Nvidia can't be one of the potential buyers . They have their own mobile GPUs. 

AMD nighter have the money nor the need to buy them so that's another NO

It's not going to be Qualcomm for sure.

Intel might be interested to buy them!

I think Huawei or Samsung are more likely to buy imaginations because both of them have their own SoCs in their phones and use Mali as GPU but we haven't heard anything serious about Huawei trying to make their own GPU but as we all know , Samsung has been trying so hard to develop their own GPU and they have a lot of money so there is no financial problem and they can buy Imagination technologies for cheap , use their GPUs in their exynos SOCs and maybe earn some money from apple using imagination patents (if apple is really going to make their own gpu , that might happen) so I think we are going to see " Samsung Electronics is buying Imagination" in headlines soon 

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Companies who currently work with, or are considering partnering with Apple. Companies who want to associate their brands with others who have a clean record and conduct business in a respectable way. Also law firms and governing bodies waiting to tear Apple a big one knowing how much money can be dug out.

Companies work for money yes. Don't expect them to have a heart or care for morals yes. But a giant douchebag? I'd be an idiot to feign ignorance.

I still think a company would overlook that stuff when partnering with a company that's considered the second largest in the world (google is worth a few more percent xD).

The thing is, is there anything law firms and government bodies can actually do to get Apple? What laws would they break by doing this?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

It would be a massive shit storm if Apple bought them, LOL!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I still think a company would overlook that stuff when partnering with a company that's considered the second largest in the world (google is worth a few more percent xD).

The thing is, is there anything law firms and government bodies can actually do to get Apple? What laws would they break by doing this?

As I said above , I don't think that they even accept to sell their business to apple knowing that apple did that to buy them for cheap. As I said , I think Samsung is the one that is going to buy them. If apple wants to buy them , it means that they can't make their own GPUs so imagination knows that apple still needs them and the whole thing was planned to buy them for cheap so they are not going to accept that and they might decide to accept someone else's offer(mostly samsung) or cancel the whole selling thing BUT all of this might happen if apple wants to buy them. 

55 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its as good as fraud/extortion

If Apple buys Imagination, it means that their claim to stop using Imagination's tech was a lie to force stock price to go below its true value (which is what it had been before the announcement) so that Apple could buy the company for cheap. For example telling an addict that you will stop supplying drugs to him, knowing that he has no alternate sources and that his reaction will be to offer to buy at much higher price.

Not exactly.

Apple could buy them solely for their patents and dismantle the company. Owning the patents and making new hardware is not akin to still using PowerVR. And there would be nothing illegal with doing that.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Not exactly.

Apple could buy them solely for their patents and dismantle the company. Owning the patents and making new hardware is not akin to still using PowerVR. And there would be nothing illegal with doing that.

But as I said above ,I don't think that imagination accepts apples offer so even if apple has a offer , they are not going to accept it because it doesn't make any sense !!

2 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

But as I said above ,I don't think that imagination accepts apples offer so even if apple has a offer , they are not going to accept it because it doesn't make any sense !!

Imagination is a grown up company. They've been around since the 90s. Money is money, regardless of whos offering.

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Imagination is a grown up company. They've been around since the 90s. Money is money, regardless of whos offering.

I know who they are, they even did graphic cards for PCs in the past,

But if you have an offer from somebody(apple) that destroyed your stock price and from their competitor(Samsung) , which one are you going to choose ?

10 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

If Apple offers them a better deal than other companies, why not accept? You get more money and don't really lose anything that has any real value.

Yes, the morals are kinda shitty but companies don't necessarily care about these things.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

I know who they are, they even did graphic cards for PCs in the past,

But if you have an offer from somebody(apple) that destroyed your stock price and from their competitor(Samsung) , which one are you going to choose ?

Who ever offers me more. 

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If Samsung offers a standing $280 per share, Apple basically shot itself in the foot with this move

Exactly

That's what I think might happen!! BUT  apple might have their own GPU ready in 1~2 years and they might not even care about imagination technologies.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

@Zando Bob Sneaky Apple... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Almost as sneaky as UBER's top investors orchestrating a massive campaign to defame the CEO and get him to step down so that they can take the company public. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I could see China/Russia being interested as part of their "make our own shit" efforts cause the NSA has made US products a poison pill.  As huilun02 said if apple where to buy them there would be repercussions.  Imaginations stock holders would tie Apple up in court for manipulating the value of their assets till the end of time; other suppliers would have to re-evaluate their relationship with apple since the cost of doing business with them includes the possibility that they'll steal your company out from under you.