Steam Summer Sale!

BestPCBuilder2017
22 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I don't have a single Steam game. I'm thinking about getting something cheap since now seems like a reasonable time to buy. I hear RocketLeague is pretty good. 

Run away before it's too late.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

22 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I don't have a single Steam game. I'm thinking about getting something cheap since now seems like a reasonable time to buy. I hear RocketLeague is pretty good. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

23 hours ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Run away, save your wallet!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Damn, I could not resist the 70-80% discount for Age of Empires 2 HD, Age of Empires 3 and Shadow of Mordor.

I don´t even have much time to play, maybe 1 hour a day. I already have 4 games from the last steam discount which I have to play....

15 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Only thing I have gotten from this Steam sale so far is Shadow of Mordor... Honestly I am not regretting, for sure a fun game for $4... Lol.

That's the game that's tough on VRAM, right? 

I wouldn't have even noticed a steam sale was happened, considering the home page is hardly any different than usual. When it usually had a whole new design for the sale.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

20 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Or buy a used GTX 980 TI on Ebay for $300... Always a great option. It is what I did and it's a great 4k performer. The Strix stays super cool (low 60's) if you have good case airflow.

Actually, I know a store here that sells a brand new one for less than a GTX 1070. But the thing is, I don't like how Nvidia treated GTX 500 owners when the GTX 600 then 700 series came out. So, I'd rather spend on the newer one. Dunno, still thinking.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

1 hour ago, NCIX Lampy said:

That's the game that's tough on VRAM, right? 

I believe not since it is older. I have not tried it out yet but the ratings were good so I assume no memory leaks.

Bioshock Infinite and Witcher 3 are on my list to buy. 

Have not played through either game. 

37 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Actually, I know a store here that sells a brand new one for less than a GTX 1070. But the thing is, I don't like how Nvidia treated GTX 500 owners when the GTX 600 then 700 series came out. So, I'd rather spend on the newer one. Dunno, still thinking.

my friends 780 ( 2 different 780 PCs) will NOT play Halo Wars 2 it will crash 100% of the time. it is stupid to think a card that was so good at its time has fallen so far. it is so clear that the 700 series aged very badly.

in my systems I usually pick AMD, and get Nvidia for my friends (due to it being better at the time and less issues at lunch) but it is annoying how they just do not stay as relevant as long as they should.

RE 7 is tempting but probably going to only get Fallout 4 and some cheapies.

Lol I was worried the last round of OG Gameboy stuff I've been getting lately was a bad idea because of this sale, whew.. no regrets.

12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Speaking of Cities Skylines, their latest DLC is the transportation one where you have to pay like $15 bucks. Went to their site last week or so, and saw there is a free transportation update. I wonder is that a update for the paid DLC, or did everyone who paid $15 bucks just got the virtual middle finger, while the rest gets it for free.

I don't know if anyone responded to you, but with every DLC they also release a free update that provides new features for everyone. In this case, they added new road tools for both free users and DLC purchasers, while the ones who bought the DLC got extra stuff like monorails, blimps, and ferries.

I got Shadow of Mordor. Good thing to get as well considering it can be tough on VRAM. 

If Skyrim drops low enough, I'll get that as well. For now, I think I'll just stick with the one game (which I can't really even play lmao) 

7 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I don't know if anyone responded to you, but with every DLC they also release a free update that provides new features for everyone. In this case, they added new road tools for both free users and DLC purchasers, while the ones who bought the DLC got extra stuff like monorails, blimps, and ferries.

Okay so those that bought the dlc has more things compared to the free update. That makes more sense, where their news page did not provide any clear details about it. They made it seem like the paid dlc is now free or something. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

24 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

But how does it do at dinner?

A lot better, it is able to finish it's plate

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

my friends 780 ( 2 different 780 PCs) will NOT play Halo Wars 2 it will crash 100% of the time. it is stupid to think a card that was so good at its time has fallen so far. it is so clear that the 700 series aged very badly.

in my systems I usually pick AMD, and get Nvidia for my friends (due to it being better at the time and less issues at lunch) but it is annoying how they just do not stay as relevant as long as they should.

Nvidia gets accused of gimping performance on older cards because of this. Can't really say if they really are or not though. I just don't like how they manage things.

Facts are Nvidia GPU architecture changes roughly every 2 or 1.5 generations compared to AMD which releases every 2 generations or more and even so are usually just improvements than actual new ones vs Nvidia. In each new launch Nvidia always focuses on the newer card, that's why they have really good day one drivers. It'll be hard to make a driver that supports even 2 GPU architectures. More support for older architectures will cost more resources. Question is, for how many generations should these companies give driver support for GPUs? No one knows really how many people are still using a 5 year old GPU. It's hard trying to balance how many people should be working on drivers for older GPUs.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

Nvidia gets accused of gimping performance on older cards because of this. Can't really say if they really are or not though. I just don't like how they manage things.

Facts are Nvidia GPU architecture changes roughly every 2 or 1.5 generations compared to AMD which releases every 2 generations or more and even so are usually just improvements than actual new ones vs Nvidia. In each new launch Nvidia always focuses on the newer card, that's why they have really good day one drivers. It'll be hard to make a driver that supports even 2 GPU architectures. More support for older architectures will cost more resources. Question is, for how many generations should these companies give driver support for GPUs? No one knows really how many people are still using a 5 year old GPU. It's hard trying to balance how many people should be working on drivers for older GPUs.

but still it is a thing to consider if you do not want to upgrade as often. to think in some games a 5 year old op of the line GPU just flat out can not play some games do to stability but the 290X is still holding strong.

12 hours ago, Alexokan said:

Bioshock Infinite and Witcher 3 are on my list to buy. 

Have not played through either game. 

Both are amazing, especially with an i5 and a 390. The GOTY version is a must for Witcher 3. If Blood and Wine was a standalone it would have been the best game of 2016.

On 6/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, ApolloFury said:

Yes, just play some older (but good) open world games until Black Friday. Skyrim and Fallout alone will occupy you for months.

EDIT: Just realised Black Friday is 5 months away so nevermind lol.

I played nothing but Skyrim for about 10 months after it came out. And that's not counting DLC. xD

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I played nothing but Skyrim for about 10 months after it came out. And that's not counting DLC. xD

Skyrim is the short term name for Elder Scrolls, right? 

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The sales have gotten shittier and shittier honestly. Nothing that I don't have that I'm interested in. Although...

wrIzr.png

Know any good racing games, friend? 

13 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Elder Scrolls is the series name, Skyrim is the specific game.  Skyrim is the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series.  They are, in order:

The Elder Scrolls: Arena

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

While I'm not a fan of Wikipedia in general, this does a decent job of displaying the outline of the games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls

18 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Take your pick

The Elder Scrolls: Arena <Main title

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall <Main title

The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire <Side title

The Elder Scrolls: Redguard <Side title

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind <Main title

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion <Main title

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim <Main title

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz