Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Go to solution Solved by pommedeterror007,
Just now, LeinadTM said:

I'm mostly concerned about memory usage. My old laptop used to have 1-2GB of its 8GB used up by Win10, and I only have 4GB on this PC.

Personally I would recommend going with windows 10. It has nice features and is upto date. AS for your RAM issue, I would go out and buy another 2-4GB of (assuming) DDR2 Ram as its very cheap especially used.

I currently have Win7 Pro 32-bit installed on a 160GB HDD, and I'm about to upgrade to a 512GB SSD. I don't actually have a Windows 7 product key, and I'm not about to buy one, but I do have a Windows 10 one salvaged from a broken laptop. My options are:

- Install Win7 Pro 64-bit on the SSD, but use... less legitimate methods of activation

- Install Win10 64-bit on the SSD, and have no troubles activating, but old hardware might struggle (4GB DDR2, Q6600 etc)

What do?

I havent noticed much of a slow down when going to windows 10 with older hardware, but this is in my experience. (I believe windows 10 has lower requirements compared to windows 7). As for a key kinguin . net offers windows keys for ~35$

1 minute ago, pommedeterror007 said:

I havent noticed much of a slow down when going to windows 10 with older hardware, but this is in my experience. (I believe windows 10 has lower requirements compared to windows 7). As for a key kinguin . net offers windows keys for ~35$

I'm mostly concerned about memory usage. My old laptop used to have 1-2GB of its 8GB used up by Win10, and I only have 4GB on this PC.

1 minute ago, LeinadTM said:

Windows likes to take what it can, its normal behaviour (It will scale according to what you have). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Personally I would recommend going with windows 10. It has nice features and is upto date. AS for your RAM issue, I would go out and buy another 2-4GB of (assuming) DDR2 Ram as its very cheap especially used.

Just now, pommedeterror007 said:

Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade to 16GB in the near future, as a 4x 4GB kit costs around $25

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

Windows likes to take what it can, its normal behaviour (It will scale according to what you have). 

Oh, I didn't know it scaled. That makes it less of a worry

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade to 16GB in the near future, as a 4x 4GB kit costs around $25

Make sure your motherboard can take it as alot of LGA 775 Motherboards are limited to 4/8GB Total. 

Make sure your motherboard can take it as alot of LGA 775 Motherboards are limited to 4/8GB Total. 

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I checked, turns out it's capped at 8GB max. Welp, I guess I can pay a little less for it then.

2 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I checked, turns out it's capped at 8GB max. Welp, I guess I can pay a little less for it then.

Honestly if you have the money, id upgrade to something at least a few generations newer, ive seen i5 2400 Cpus for 40$ and alot of decent deals. Thats me personally. 

Honestly if you have the money, id upgrade to something at least a few generations newer, ive seen i5 2400 Cpus for 40$ and alot of decent deals. Thats me personally. 

Yeah, I would, but I don't have the money. Upgrading to 8GB and having this new SSD will more than get me by until I have a job and can afford better parts. Gaming on an 8 year old system actually isn't that bad, if you're not really used to anything better =P

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Yeah, I would, but I don't have the money. Upgrading to 8GB and having this new SSD will more than get me by until I have a job and can afford better parts. Gaming on an 8 year old system actually isn't that bad, if you're not really used to anything better =P

If youre happy youre happy. Just keep an eye out! There are alot of decent deals, i managed to get 16GB ddr3, i7 2600k, a old corsair watercooler, and a gtx 770 all for 150$ USD

Windows 10 is good,but runs shit on older drives,but you have a SSD,so you are a Druaga1's incarnation.

Honestly,just get some cheap Z77 or H61,P67 board with a i5 and you have SATA III,PCIe 3.0,etc so u can take the full advantage of a SSD

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

Windows 10 is good,but runs shit on older drives,but you have a SSD,so you are a Druaga1's incarnation.

Honestly,just get some cheap Z77 or H61,P67 board with a i5 and you have SATA III,PCIe 3.0,etc so u can take the full advantage of a SSD

I would save a little and do that, but I have an OEM case/mobo, so I'd need to buy a whole new case plus new ram, and at that point i might as well save a little more and get a full new PC.

If youre happy youre happy. Just keep an eye out! There are alot of decent deals, i managed to get 16GB ddr3, i7 2600k, a old corsair watercooler, and a gtx 770 all for 150$ USD

Then why do you use/game on a 8 year old system? a 770 is a hell of a lot better than a 3870,and why not use the 2600K? it is probably as good as a i3 7xxx or maybe i5 7xxx

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Then why do you use/game on a 8 year old system? a 770 is a hell of a lot better than a 3870,and why not use the 2600K? it is probably as good as a i3 7xxx or maybe i5 7xxx

Wrong guy haha, Im the one who has the stuff.

Wrong guy haha, Im the one who has the stuff.

shit

Sorry

Kek yeah wrong guy. I have a 4870 which is like 50-60% better, but I'm waiting on a molex to PCIe adapter so I can power it

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Kek yeah wrong guy. I have a 4870 which is like 50-60% better, but I'm waiting on a molex to PCIe adapter so I can power it

I have an i3 2120 laying around if ya want it :P, I may have some extra DDR2 if you have more slots on your motherboard. I wont use it so if you want it its yours.

I have an i3 2120 laying around if ya want it :P, I may have some extra DDR2 if you have more slots on your motherboard. I wont use it so if you want it its yours.

I mean, if you can ship it to Australia, sure =P. i3 wouldn't fit in my current socket though, it's LGA1155.

2 minutes ago, pommedeterror007 said:

I have a PIII 450 laying around with a 2005 modem :P and a dying old ASUS motherboard for the accompanying PII,and a PSU (dead probably) also

So if he wants it,it is his :o:P:):)xD xD.

Also a Dead 8300 GS as well,so have it if u want xD

jk

Just now, LeinadTM said:

I mean, if you can ship it to Australia, sure =P. i3 wouldn't fit in my current socket though, it's LGA1155.

I know,LGA 775 FTW (I myself use a C2D 6550 (E6550) in a dying motherboard tho,so i dont touch it)

I have a PIII 450 laying around with a 2005 modem :P and a dying old ASUS motherboard for the accompanying PII,and a PSU (dead probably) also

So if he wants it,it is his :o:P:):)xD xD.

I mean, again, if you can ship it to Australia, I'd take it =P