Should I get a gmaing PC off of Craigslist?

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
2 minutes ago, Highku said:

my budget is $300 right now

Used is definitely the way to go. My suggestion: pick up a Dell Optiplex tower off of eBay with a -2XXX or -3XXX i5 in it, a 500GB+ hard drive and 8GB of RAM. Should set you back $200 tops, and you get an upgradeable Windows license with it. Drop another $50 on a used GTX 750 Ti or step up to the plate for a new RX 460/GTX 1050, and boom, you're done, and you've got a PC that will game circles around an FX-6300/R7 360 based pile of trash.

So, I found a Craigslist listing in my area for a gaming PC. the specs that where given in the listing are a Cybertron Pc Case, 750w ATX power supply, 16gb ram, 1tb HDD, 6core AMD fx 6350 CPU, Asus m5a78l-m motherboard, r7 360 2gb ddr5. I don't know what kind of preformance I should expect, or what I should watch out for when buying used. I need help ASAP, thanks!

You would be able to play some AAA titles at moderate settings with this system. Try making a parts list of those same components with pcpartpicker.com and see if the price comes out similarly. If it does, then try to talk the guy down from his price. Other than that, try r/hardwareswap. You can sometimes find good deals on PCs and components there.

Good Luck!

I hope that very cheap, the gpu will not get you very far and the cpu is kinda dated.

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

What games are you planning on playing? Because that's a complete waste of money for anything other than e-sports. Unless the guy's willing to take $150-ish tops, it's an easy pass.

What's your budget?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The secondary specs look fine but the CPU and GPU leave a lot to be desired, plus that motherboard is not going to work with basically anything newer. I'd try to haggle to price to ~$100 maybe a touch more and replace the CPU, GPU, and MOBO. And if you want to save a little money right now buy a GPU first then a new CPU&MOBO later.

1 minute ago, caleblovespizza said:

You would be able to play some AAA titles at moderate settings with this system. Try making a parts list of those same components with pcpartpicker.com and see if the price comes out similarly. If it does, then try to talk the guy down from his price. Other than that, try r/hardwareswap. You can sometimes find good deals on PCs and components there.

Good Luck!

I made it on pcpartpicker,com and it came out to about $630 without windows, and he is offering it for $275 with windows 10

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

What games are you planning on playing? Because that's a complete waste of money for anything other than e-sports. Unless the guy's willing to take $150-ish tops, it's an easy pass.

What's your budget?

I made it on pcpartpicker,com and it came out to about $630 without windows, and he is offering it for $275 with windows 10

I think i'd take it it's about worth that.... but it's not something you'll keep very long if you start buying games and want more performance

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I also plan on upgrading the GPU, and maybe the CPU if it is a bottleneck for the rest of the system, im buying this as a fixer-upper kind of PC.

1 minute ago, Highku said:

Honestly my suggestion would be to save up more money and build a pc using new or used components rather than buying a really cheap pc from someone off of Craigslist.

Used is definitely the way to go. My suggestion: pick up a Dell Optiplex tower off of eBay with a -2XXX or -3XXX i5 in it, a 500GB+ hard drive and 8GB of RAM. Should set you back $200 tops, and you get an upgradeable Windows license with it. Drop another $50 on a used GTX 750 Ti or step up to the plate for a new RX 460/GTX 1050, and boom, you're done, and you've got a PC that will game circles around an FX-6300/R7 360 based pile of trash.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll look at r/hardwareswap, or save up a bit more.

27 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What's your budget?

I have a friend who can run GR Wildlands on that CPU, but in terms of the GPU, I totally agree.