ASUS releases first sub-100 dollar 10GbE card

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Game Sstreaming uncompressed to another box? (though I think 40g would be required) 

The only time I actually really abused the 1g bandwidth (or ever used Ethernet for that matter)  was transferring 24 GB of anime to a laptop without USB 3. It was SSD to SSD, so this was the first time I've ever seen my network bandwidth completely saturated. This house is not setup for wired networking though, so I use wifi 99.99% of the time. 

I've done game streaming with Steam over ethernet and even when turning off the bandwidth limit, it only seems to go up into the 60s of Mbps, which really is enough.  I suppose this would be useful (and enough) for uncompressed 1080p 60hz and even 1440p, but not quite 4K, but the problem then is I don't think there's any protocol for actually sending uncompressed video over ethernet.  Things like steam in-home streaming and shadowplay would have to add that support.  Personally I'd be much happier about reducing what little latency is left than increasing from a 50 Mbit stream to uncompressed.

You should be able to saturate a 1 Gbit ethernet connection with just HDDs on both ends in a sequential file transfer if they're not slow and fragmented

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:43 AM, leadeater said:

Just find an exposed cable trunk and cut some off, I'm sure who ever you take it from won't mind lol. Would give the IT guys a great story too.

mmm, delicious internet 

latest?cb=20121205194537

172ca98394733d069e573577c36a9b85.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.