ASUS releases first sub-100 dollar 10GbE card

Many of us have outgrown the capabilities of 1GbE-based networks but don't have the budget to upgrade to the ridiculously priced enterprise 10GbE solutions. ASUS is attempting to change that after releasing their 10GbE switch for a "measly" 250USD and now a PCIe add-on card for 99USD.

Asus rounded out the branded 10GbE ecosystem today with a desktop add-in network interface card to go with the previously released XG-U2008 unmanaged switch ($250 on Amazon). For less than $100 you get massive bandwidth with priority queuing for enhanced gaming support.

Finally the value proposition for 10GbE is reasonable, and for those of us running home/PLEX servers with 4K films this will be a very welcome upgrade. 

The XG-C100C supports 10GbE and the latest 2.5 and 5GbE standards. The lower bandwidth standards have yet to appear in a home-focused switch, but when they're available, they'll allow you to use legacy CAT5e cabling to avoid the expense of running new wire throughout your home. In our testing, we've found that users can still use CAT5e to achieve 10GbE speeds for short distances.

Another problem for people looking to do a whole-house upgrade was the need to rerun all their cabling and replace it with Cat6a to satisfy the shielding standards that 10GbE requires. By supporting the 2.5GbE and 5GbE standards, shorter runs of less than 40-50 meters will still be able to run at higher speeds (albeit not 10gbps). 

The NIC will set your system back four PCI Express 3.0 lanes as required by the Aquantia AQtion Client Controller. There are two specifications that make this product stand out from other 10GbE NICs shipping today. The first is the low $99 price tag. Amazon already has a product page for the XG-C100C, but doesn't have stock at time of writing. The MSRP is low and we expect pricing to get better over time. The second standout feature is related to why the market has adopted the AQtion AQC107 controller: it consumes very little power, and thus produces very little heat. The products we've seen use a low-cost heat sink--or no heat sink at all, in the case on onboard designs. Both features run contrary to enterprise-focused products, which are expensive and require cooling beyond what most of us use in our quiet desktops.

Edit: forgot to add the source http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-xg-c100c-10gbase-t-nic,34844.html

Edited by Terodius

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

still waiting for a switch with 2 10Gbp SFP+ and 2 10Gbpe rj45 that is under 400.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Asus, I love you. Now all we need are Thunderbolt 3 cards from you guys...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

still waiting for a switch with 2 10Gbp SFP+ and 2 10Gbpe rj45 that is under 400.

why would you want that? either stick with only SFP+ or only RJ45. Mixing and matching is a bad idea.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

2 minutes ago, Terodius said:

why would you want that? either stick with only SFP+ or only RJ45. Mixing and matching is a bad idea.

I messed up not knowing that 10Gbp rj45 switches are not as common and NICs cost more. my server has 2 10 Gbpe rj 45 ports and I have no more PCIe slots open. and it is cheaper to get SFP+ cards for my other PCs. the switch I am looking at is 500 but would love a cheaper option when I decide to buy.

14 minutes ago, Terodius said:

e Aquantia AQtion Client

Grrrr Its not intel

How are the drivers like? 

Vlans? teaming? jumbo pakcets? linux support? freebsd support? openbsd support? 

Also what is power like? I have been a fiber guy as it uses much less power than 10gbe over copper. 

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I messed up not knowing that 10Gbp rj45 switches are not as common and NICs cost more. my server has 2 10 Gbpe rj 45 ports and I have no more PCIe slots open. and it is cheaper to get SFP+ cards for my other PCs. the switch I am looking at is 500 but would love a cheaper option when I decide to buy.

well then this should be good news for you lol. yes SFP+ cards are cheaper but the cables are really expensive. 99USD for 10GbE RJ45 is really good. back when I looked into it, I think the cheapest used cards I could find were like 300 bucks. I ended up buying a couple 4x1GbE PCIe card for like 50 bucks each and paired them with teaming

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Grrrr Its not intel

How are the drivers like? 

Vlans? teaming? jumbo pakcets? linux support? freebsd support? openbsd support? 

Also what is power like? I have been a fiber guy as it uses much less power than 10gbe over copper. 

well the intel controllers cost A LOT more lol and also generate a lot more heat and use a lot more power. I don't think you can expect enterprise features on this budget controller, but I remember reading it supported 9000 Jumbo packets. 

Just now, Terodius said:

well the intel controllers cost A LOT more lol and also generate a lot more heat and use a lot more power. I don't think you can expect enterprise features on this budget controller, but I remember reading it supported 9000 Jumbo packets. 

how much can these cards do?

can they do 8 gig of real bandwidth?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how much can these cards do?

can they do 8 gig of real bandwidth?

We won't know till we see some benchmarks. As the article says it's listen on amazon but there's no stock right now. It will hopefully be available soon for tech youtubers/sites to put it through its paces.

5 minutes ago, Terodius said:

well then this should be good news for you lol. yes SFP+ cards are cheaper but the cables are really expensive. 99USD for 10GbE RJ45 is really good. back when I looked into it, I think the cheapest used cards I could find were like 300 bucks. I ended up buying a couple 4x1GbE PCIe card for like 50 bucks each and paired them with teaming

a fiber cable cost me $42 for 50 ft so it can go around my room.

I have a LB4m and 2 SFP+ cards 2 have 2 PC with 10Gb already. I don't think the cable cost is that bad.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

a fiber cable cost me $42 for 50 ft so it can go around my room.

I have a LB4m and 2 SFP+ cards 2 have 2 PC with 10Gb already. I don't think the cable cost is that bad.

maybe it's not that expensive there if you buy them used, but they're impossible to find used here and a 30ft cable can easily run north of 150USD new at the local webstores. 

11 minutes ago, Terodius said:

maybe it's not that expensive there if you buy them used, but they're impossible to find used here and a 30ft cable can easily run north of 150USD new at the local webstores. 

I bought it new. I got 2 transceiver and a 50ft LC-LC cable.

I got it here and they ship internationally

http://www.fs.com/

if you get a copper cable or a AOC cable it can be less then what I paid for. ($10-$20 for copper)

Or just go on ebay and buy a X540-T2 for $100 like I did.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Terodius said:

Finally the value proposition for 10GbE is reasonable, and for those of us running home/PLEX servers with 4K films this will be a very welcome upgrade. 

How much bandwidth does 4k streaming use? 

Please adjust your post for the dark ones here.

This is what I see;

Spoiler

Capture.JPG.28c60fb01d1fb69b53a992dac3eb58a5.JPG

Thanks. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Has anyone done any real world testing of higher bandwidths over cat 5e?   Given manufacturing tolerances (attenuation in the cable) and environment (install and interference) change a lot and dictate end speed cap and distance,  I would be interested to know just what speed types could be expected over 5e for varying distance and average install scenarios.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Grinners said:

How much bandwidth does 4k streaming use? 

I also want to know the type of streaming usage scenario where you're exceeding gigabit speeds.  Even a 50GB movie in 4K would only require 55mbps per streamer.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Has anyone done any real world testing of higher bandwidths over cat 5e?   Given manufacturing tolerances (attenuation in the cable) and environment (install and interference) change a lot and dictate end speed cap and distance,  I would be interested to know just what speed types could be expected over 5e for varying distance and average install scenarios.

Cat 5e could probably handle 10GbE over short <25m distances, but it's not rated for it.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I also want to know the type of streaming usage scenario where you're exceeding gigabit speeds.  Even a 50GB movie in 4K would only require 55mbps per streamer.

Cat 5e could probably handle 10GbE over short <25m distances, but it's not rated for it.  

That is my belief too, but I haven't actually seen any real world testing, just theoretical and math scenarios.  It would be nice to see a few "cable benchmarks" if they exist.

EDIT: I have cat5e all over my house (just under 30M longest run), Thinking how nice it would be to transfer backups through the network instead of carrying around a portable hdd. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

First, let me just say it's great to see 10 Gb hardware getting cheaper, but I have to say a few things, first about the article, and then the product itself.

10GbE delivers just over 1,000MBps, which is just what you need to take advantage of your new NVMe protocol SSD across the network.

Uh, no.  There is no shortage of NVMe SSDs that can perform faster than this connection by quite a bit, so no it's not "just what you need", it's "about 2/3rds of what you need".  Furthermore, who the hell has a NAS built out of NVMe SSDs?

The question many will ask is: What the hell do you do with 1,000MBps of network bandwidth? [...] Wouldn't it be nice to watch a high-definition movie from across the network without stuttering?

Uh, yes, and you can already do that easily with 1 Gb ethernet.  A 50 GB bluray file streamed over the course of 1.5 hours needs less than 10 MB/s, under 1/10 of what's already doable.

Can they seriously not come up with one valid use for it?  (This is where I transition to my problem with the product itself.)

Well luckily @TheRandomness did :P 

It's for those people in Sweden/Denmark/etc. that get 5 gigabit internet access. xD 

For everyone else, it's just not worth it.  If you have a NAS, sure, this will be faster than what you've got, but are you really gonna pay $99 per machine, plus whatever it takes for all new CAT 6A cables, plus 1 or more 10 Gb switches just to less than double your speed (assuming you've got HDDs in your NAS)?  If so, good on you, but I suspect the answer is no, and that's the enthusiast end of the market.  For the other 99% of people, they simply don't transfer files often enough or with enough urgency to make it worth it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Workmanship quality of terminating the connectors has a large effect on this for the high bandwidth applications, if the absolute minimum amount of cable has been untwisted to terminate the connections and they all have very good contact with the pins you'll get good results.

As for cable benchmarks those actually are the CAT standards, they are fairly stringent and there isn't a high quality silver coated blah blah etc cable and anyone trying to advertise their raw cable (un-terminated) as better than another competing brands same rated cable is selling snake oil. You either meet the standard or you don't.

Edit:

Cat5e: 
Gigabit Ethernet up to 100 meters
10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 45 meters

http://www.kit-communications.com/FAQCat5evsCat6.htm

I'm not sure how much credibility I'd give the above though.

56 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Workmanship quality of terminating the connectors has a large effect on this for the high bandwidth applications, if the absolute minimum amount of cable has been untwisted to terminate the connections and they all have very good contact with the pins you'll get good results.

As for cable benchmarks those actually are the CAT standards, they are fairly stringent and there isn't a high quality silver coated blah blah etc cable and anyone trying to advertise their raw cable (un-terminated) as better than another competing brands same rated cable is selling snake oil. You either meet the standard or you don't.

Edit:

http://www.kit-communications.com/FAQCat5evsCat6.htm

I'm not sure how much credibility I'd give the above though.

I'm well aware of marketing BS,  I was more interested in something more like how we get GPU review benchmarks but where some dude runs a whole heap of cat 5 and compares it to whole heap of cat 6 in different lengths etc. 

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'm well aware of marketing BS,  I was more interested in something more like how we get GPU review benchmarks but where some dude runs a whole heap of cat 5 and compares it to whole heap of cat 6 in different lengths etc. 

I'd test it but I don't have any system capable of transfering 1gbyte/second to saturate 10gbps.   My 10Gb route is currently connected by Cat 7, because might as well not have the cable be the limit when it's not expensive to buy.

EDIT: I take it back my desktop has raid 0 Intel 730's ssds that could exceed 10Gb, but my server is mechanical so nope :)

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'd test it but I don't have any system capable of transfering 1gbyte/second to saturate 10gbps.   [...]

I think you do ;)

RAMdisk

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.