7900X Coming In Hot?!

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

As you can see they are between 3.9-4GHz. Very few Ryzen CPUs can go higher than 4GHz and even if they do they can't go higher than 4.1GHz

Btw I checked out that link, whilst 4-4.1 is the average. There are better chips around that are cooled via non extreme means. So saying 4 is Ryzen's max would be wrong.

OC.PNG

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The difference there was a mainstream CPU could go toe to toe with a HEDT platform so of course it was used in comparisons. However AMD compared the 1700 against the 7700k so it was clearly aimed to compete at mainstream they just showcased it being competitive with HEDT at the time. It is not up there with the Intel HEDT anymore in terms of performance which is fine but it wasn't aimed to beat the new Intel HEDT which is the whole reason they have TR coming.

So it's fine to compare Ryzen to X99 but it's not fine to compare X299 to Ryzen, what? They are CPUs, you can compare them however you want. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

You're forgetting AMD themselves compared Ryzen 7 to Intel 6900K.

I didn't forget that. See my post after that one :) If your product can compete with the HEDT of the time of course you compare it. That doesn't mean it competes with next gen HEDT which is why AMD is working on their own HEDT platform now, X399.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

So it's fine to compare Ryzen to X99 but it's not fine to compare X299 to Ryzen, what? They are CPUs, you can compare them however you want. 

Of course you can compare them however you want I'm just saying what AMD intends them to compete with is not X299 otherwise X399 wouldn't exist :) 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You're forgetting AMD themselves compared Ryzen 7 to Intel 6900K.

Think that was more of a dick move on AMD's part lol "Hey look we can match or out pace this $1000 cpu for half the price !!!!11!!!"

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I didn't forget that. See my post after that one :) If your product can compete with the HEDT of the time of course you compare it. That doesn't mean it competes with next gen HEDT which is why AMD is working on their own HEDT platform now, X399.

You have to compare it even for the sake of seeing how far the new Intel HEDT chip has improved from that last one, once you open that comparison it's done there is no going back.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Btw I checked out that link, whilst 4-4.1 is the average. There are better chips around that are cooled via non extreme means. So saying 4 is Ryzen's max would be wrong.

OC.PNG

That 4.7GHz guy was lying about his cooler, he was using LN2 or Phase Change. The 4.2-4.3GHz guys were probably using 1.5V or something like that, so if you don't want to kill the CPU those clocks aren't good for 24/7 use. (1.45V is the max safe voltage according to AMD)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, leadeater said:

You have to compare it even for the sake of seeing how far the new Intel HEDT chip has improved from that last one.

Not really you could compare X99 to X299 for that :P Also I think I said compete not compare there is a difference. You can compare whatever you like but if AMD intended AM4 to compete with X299 then they wouldn't have X399.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 4.2-4.3GHz guys were probably using 1.5V

Best to avoid guessing :P Just because 1.45V is what AMD says doesn't mean you can't exceed it, there are people on this forum at 1.55V on theirs (not me) and you don't know they voltage so can't really comment.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That 4.7GHz guy was lying about his cooler, he was using LN2 or Phase Change

While likely to be a true a source is always good.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Of course you can compare them however you want I'm just saying what AMD intends them to compete with is not X299 otherwise X399 wouldn't exist :) 

Of course, but AMD intended the 1800X to compete with the 6900K.... The 7820X is the new 6900K, so the 1800X is meant to compete with the 7820X :P 

Threadripper competes with the 10+ core X299 CPUs ;)

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Not really you could compare X99 to X299 for that :P Also I think I said compete not compare there is a difference. You can compare whatever you like but if AMD intended AM4 to compete with X299 then they wouldn't have X399.

At the time X99 was the flagship HEDT platform from Intel, AMD choose to compare themselves to it by their own choice. You can't simply ignore that once the next generation comes out that's not how it works. You can after then next one when it's shown they no longer compare but what's done is done.

Point is it was a stupid move to do that but they couldn't not do it either, that was part of Ryzen's appeal. Also by not doing it that may have raised questions over unannounced HEDT CPUs from AMD tipping their hand.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Best to avoid guessing :P Just because 1.45V is what AMD says doesn't mean you can't exceed it, there are people on this forum at 1.55V on theirs (not me) and you don't know they voltage so can't really comment.

Yep @knightslugger was using 1.45V on his 1700X and it died after a few months

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

While likely to be a true a source is always good.

A lot of people are lying about their cooling on HWBot :P

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep @knightslugger was using 1.45V on his 1700X and it died after a few months

I'm sure I saw him post about being above 1.5V. Didn't know it died. R.I.P

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

A lot of people are lying about their cooling on HWBot :P

Again probably, but no sawce

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Point is it was a stupid move to do that but they couldn't not do it either, that was part of Ryzen's appeal. Also by not doing it that may have raised questions over unannounced HEDT CPUs from AMD tipping their hand.

Good point. But still this thread has nothing to do with AMD or Intel performance anyway :) Puzzled as to why it keeps drifting from X299 thermals which is the topic, almost like people (not you) are trying to shift the focus ;) 

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Threadripper competes with the 10+ core X299 CPUs

Threadripper competes with whatever is closest in $ and whatever AMD says it competes against. After all it is their product so they decide what it is/isn't meant to compete with. Anyway unless you want to discuss AMD thermals its off topic :P 

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Again probably, but no sawce

Why do you believe that he is not lying? Do you believe that an AiO can handle 1.7V?

image_id_1850328.jpeg

(From the Cinebench Thread, 1800X at 4.8GHz)

@tom_w141

And if you can be bothered (don't, waste of your time) going through my posting history over that last few months you'll know that I'm not anti Intel or anti AMD and in fact I am more biased towards AMD. What they have shown interests me more and they have the platform package I am looking for but they need to close off some important points like performance (TR/Naples), price (TR/Naples) and virtualization support (All Zen).

I've also always said CPUs should be compared at the same price points, when looking to purchase. You also need to compare across the product stacks as well and check manufactures claims as that might be important for future products and trends. This still doesn't rule out simply paying more to get the higher performing part, sometimes that just ends up being the better thing to do not the most cost effective thing to do. Others may simply just want the best part damn everything else and power to those people go do it why not.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

What's with some guy desperately trying to snuff any good opinion about AMD and saying its a good idea to compare products that don't cost even remotely alike? 

Those people are the people buying X299 so doesn't matter what the thread is about there will always be spin to make themselves feel better about their purchase.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

@tom_w141

And if you can be bothered (don't, waste of your time) going through my posting history over that last few months you'll know that I'm not anti Intel or anti AMD and in fact I am more biased towards AMD. What they have shown interests me more and they have the platform package I am looking for but they need to close off some important points like performance (TR/Naples), price (TR/Naples) and virtualization support (All Zen).

I've also always said CPUs should be compared at the same price points, when looking to purchase. You also need to compare across the product stacks as well and check manufactures claims as that might be important for future products and trends. This still doesn't rule out simply paying more to get the higher performing part, sometime that just ends up being the better thing to do not the most cost effective thing to do. Other may simply just want the best part damn everything else and power to those people go do it why not.

Woah I never said you had opinions toward either side, when I said people steer the thread off topic I deliberately said not you :P I agree price point is always where they should be compared. Also I'm fully aware X299 is the better performer than AM4 that's obvious.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

What's with some guy desperately trying to snuff any good opinion about AMD and saying its a good idea to compare products that don't cost even remotely alike? 

What? When did I say that AMD sucks or something like that? Ryzen is amazing, but X299 is better. Period. Does it cost more? Yes, but the 6900K also cost more than the 1800X, but despite that AMD compared the 1800X to it. 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Woah I never said you had opinions toward either side, when I said people steer the thread off topic I deliberately said not you :P I agree price point is always where they should be compared. Also I'm fully aware X299 is the better performer than AM4 that's obvious.

I was still typing that when you posted :P

Edit:

I'm never afraid to state my bias, really no one should. My support is towards AMD and that won't change until after full in-depth reviews on Naples comes out, only a complete disaster will sway me on that.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@tom_w141

I've also always said CPUs should be compared at the same price points, when looking to purchase. You also need to compare across the product stacks as well and check manufactures claims as that might be important for future products and trends. This still doesn't rule out simply paying more to get the higher performing part, sometime that just ends up being the better thing to do not the most cost effective thing to do. Other may simply just want the best part damn everything else and power to those people go do it why not.

"People who buy these chips don't care about cost." - Some guy on this forum

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Of course, but AMD intended the 1800X to compete with the 6900K.... The 7820X is the new 6900K, so the 1800X is meant to compete with the 7820X :P 

Threadripper competes with the 10+ core X299 CPUs ;)

haha that's like saying the 5960X and 6900K are meant to compete with the 7820X

AS LONG AS IT BEATS RYZEN 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, XenosTech said:

"People who buy these chips don't care about cost."

Obviously... If they cared about cost, they wouldn't have bought an X299 CPU... Ryzen is a much better option if you are on a budget. X299 is for those who want the best possible performance and don't mind spending 2x more for it :P