7900X Coming In Hot?!

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Or get one of those EK predator modular loops. Get a 360mm + 280 mm and slap them all on the CPU :D

The predator is discontinued V2 was slated for spring but got delayed till fall

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

The predator is discontinued V2 was slated for spring but got delayed till fall

Well since these CPUs don't exist in the EU really, it adds up for a perfect match :D

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

4 minutes into the video, Steve says that under max load @ 4.7 Ghz on the 7900X, on a 360mm rad-based loop that it's maxing out around 73-74 C. 

This is getting funny.

I said this at the beginning of this thread.  Using a small AIO as most of these YouTubers were doing was just wrong.  I understand why they did it, but anyone with common sense should have known better.

Smaller to medium sized AIOs aren't even common for people on x99 when combined with high overclocks.  Why would they be acceptable with even more cores and higher clocks on Skylake-X?

Most of the guys currently running HEDT already know what to expect as they've been down this road before.  I don't think any of them ever expected to slap an out of the box 280mm AIO to a 4.7 GHz 10 core part.  

$1000 CPU + $300 Mobo + $300 Cooling.  >$1600 USD before graphics cards, case or any other I/O.

The Delid errors are going to be great humor.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

$1000 CPU + $300 Mobo + $300 Cooling.  >$1600 USD before graphics cards, case or any other I/O.

Or you could just run 4.2 to 4.4 GHz and save on the cooling.  We're not forced to use high clock speeds simply because the option to do so is there.  

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Believe me, if you want 4.7GHz on Threadripper you will have to spend $1000 on the cooler :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Believe me, if you want 4.7GHz on Threadripper you will have to spend $1000 on the cooler :P

ln2 is just 1 pound per litre :-p

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I read that wrong at first.  Yes, you can probably LN2 it to that level. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the best Performing setup in the HEDT is a Threadripper top-spec 16c part system, a KVM switch and a 7700k system right next to it.  I expect the the total cost to be below a full 7980XE system and give better overall performance in everything but very specific AVX512 workloads. 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

ln2 is just 1 pound per litre :-p

I read that wrong at first.  Yes, you can probably LN2 it to that level. :)

A phase change cooler costs $1000 :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

ln2 is better, more faster and more user interaction ;-)

more cheaper 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the best Performing setup in the HEDT is a Threadripper top-spec 16c part system, a KVM switch and a 7700k system right next to it.  I expect the the total cost to be below a full 7980XE system and give better overall performance in everything but very specific AVX512 workloads. 

So much truth in that.  Best of both worlds with two separate task specific rigs.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

ln2 is better, more faster and more user interaction ;-)

more cheaper 

But you can't use LN2 for daily overclocks.... :P

13 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But you can't use LN2 for daily overclocks.... :P

Not with that attitude you cant..

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

17 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So much truth in that.  Best of both worlds with two separate task specific rigs.

It's also why I think the 28 PCIe lanes on the 7820X is the biggest insult of the product stack.  Full access plus solid OC without having to get too extreme on the cooling, yet can game & render at a good cost curve.   For a single CPU choice, that'd have been it on X299.

30 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Or you could just run 4.2 to 4.4 GHz and save on the cooling.  We're not forced to use high clock speeds simply because the option to do so is there.  

To be honest even with something like a 280mm Corsair or a NH D15 I wouldn't feel very comfortable going above that on a 10 core.

25 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not that it means anything, but I have seen external ones for as low $500.

15 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Length beats thickness.  Applies to rads too.  :D

its a "preference" ;) 

/j

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

its a "preference" ;) 

/j

Jokes aside.  More surface area always provides better temps to thick rads.  This is to say that a 360mm 45mm thick rad will outperform a 240mm 60mm thick rad provided that they are equal design / quality.

I know, I'm fucking up the joke.  xD

Jokes aside.  More surface area always provides better temps to thick rads.  This is to say that a 360mm 45mm thick rad will outperform a 240mm 60mm thick rad provided that they are equal design / quality.

I know, I'm fucking up the joke.  xD

Yeap I wouldn't disagree with that, the only reason why I'd go with a thicc rad would be that I wouldn't have space for a 360mm rad

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

Yeap I wouldn't disagree with that, the only reason why I'd go with a thicc rad would be that I wouldn't have space for a 360mm rad

So odd when the thicc fits and the long doesn't. O.o

So odd when the thicc fits and the long doesn't. O.o

Well, you can blame pre 2012 era cases for that. Only way I'd fit a 360mm rad in my ancient case is to mod it. A thicc rad wouldn't exactly fit either xD

Just now, Pohernori said:

Well, you can blame pre 2012 era cases for that. Only way I'd fit a 360mm rad in my ancient case is to mod it. A thicc rad wouldn't exactly fit either xD

You got it in there and that's what matters.  Sometimes you just have to give it an extra push.  xD