7900X Coming In Hot?!

10 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am pretty sure that this explains why they are not soldered, yields are probably very bad so they can't afford to lose dies by soldering them.

Meanwhile in AMD land Lisa Su is imitating Scrooge McDuck in a pile of Epyc and Threadripper chips.

18 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

LOL, that guy works for the Intel NUC team? And people thought that what he said was legit info? xD

Whilst true he is an Intel employee and he's not wrong. Their thermal solution can't handle overclocking on a 7700k so he said the obvious. The scandalous part is people expected a response that would actually help them overclock their unlocked CPUs whose only purpose is... Overclocking...

14 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

There was stock in the US. Not they're sold out. I was lucky to snatch the combo when I did.

What others are saying is they probably sold out because they purchased low levels of stock, likely in the hundreds if that. So they sell out quickly if that retailer serves a large area.

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If X99 prices actually significantly dropped, it could be a really good purchase. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=i7-6950X&N=-1&isNodeId=1

In other news, the Haswell-E prices haven't really even freaking dropped.

X99 might hold its value as its not that far behind and is the last soldered Intel CPU so its quality may make it hold its value.

21 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

There was stock in the US. Not they're sold out. I was lucky to snatch the combo when I did.

7 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

What others are saying is they probably sold out because they purchased low levels of stock, likely in the hundreds if that. So they sell out quickly if that retailer serves a large area.

With all the great rumors popping up lately, admittedly I can't tell you what "others" are saying as I've stopped paying attention.  Newegg is notorious for taking new releases and turning them into combos.   As soon as they notice something is selling, they start to make the combos and all of a sudden the item for individual purchase are no longer in stock on its own.

Just a wild theory of mine, but maybe they ordered a typical quantity expected for a HEDT platform and decided to force combos to sell more products as they are very well known to do?

Capture.thumb.JPG.06c0075e1c47c49d789e24ea7e1d5093.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.77a8989a07c9b7c31a8c6c612a885480.JPG

4 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Whilst true he is an Intel employee and he's not wrong. Their thermal solution can't handle overclocking on a 7700k so he said the obvious. 

This is way off the mark..... Even if you don't delid it, you can easily push the 7700K to 4.8-5GHz and the temps won't skyrocket. If you want to push it to 5+GHz, you will need to delid.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Even if you don't delid it, you can easily push the 7700K to 4.8-5GHz and the temps won't skyrocket

I've seen plenty of evidence on this forum and reddit saying otherwise. 4.8 is like the tip of what you can do without delid

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I've seen plenty of evidence on this forum and reddit saying otherwise. 4.8 is like the tip of what you can do without delid

@done12many2 How many of the 7700Ks you binned could hit 5GHz without a delid?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

@done12many2 Tell me when they're doing a 7980XE/4 Titan Xp/ The best VRM solution board that can handle those Xp's and 3 NVMe drives. It'll be the ultimate value.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@done12many2 combos are great though if its the parts you want and the price is right

No doubt.  Extra $40 off here and there helps.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Two of the largest sources of PC gossip on the interwebs.  Not the biggest forums necessarily, but higher maximum gossip per post.  

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

@done12many2 How many of the 7700Ks you binned could hit 5GHz without a delid?

Tons.  Of the majority to but of those, they are quite hot at 5 GHz under RealBench type loads.

You and @tom_w141 are both right.  Quality of the chip varies a bit.  I've seen 7700k's run hot as low as 4.8 to 4.9 GHz, but some handle 5 GHz nicely without delidding.  Hell there are even a few samples doing 5.1 without delids.  

Either way, getting 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 or 5 GHz out of a chip before delidding is damn good.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@done12many2 Tell me when they're doing a 7980XE/4 Titan Xp/ The best VRM solution board that can handle those Xp's and 3 NVMe drives. It'll be the ultimate value.

If you think about it, the 7980XE is the best value 18 core CPU, since the only other 18 core CPUs are Xeons that cost $3000-4000 :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you think about it, the 7980XE is the best value 18 core CPU, since the only other 18 core CPUs are Xeons that cost $3000-4000 :P

... and the winner because the opponent dehydrated and passed out is boxer #1.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

@PCGuy_5960 you hit auto agree again, that one was a joke you're supposed to laugh. ;) 

I agree that it's the winner :P

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

and the winner

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Btw Epyc has a 24C for $1700 so surely that is the winner of better value :P 

Is it an 18 core CPU? Nope xD

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Good old fashioned phone call?

Unfortunately that won't work.  I covered it a bit in yesterday's post about my disastrous trip to MC.

It's their entire MC internal network that's down.  Website, cash registers, product inventory tracking and everything.  They were taking credit card payment manually yesterday.  A sale rep that I know is going to contact me when he hears anything about their Skylake-X / x299 shipments, but I think this network issue is what's effecting everything.  

Employees can't even get emails.

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Unfortunately that won't work.  I covered it a bit in yesterday's post about my disastrous trip to MC.

It's their entire MC internal network that's down.  Website, cash registers, product inventory tracking and everything.  They were taking credit card payment manually yesterday.  A sale rep that I know is going to contact me when he hears anything about their Skylake-X / x299 shipments, but I think this network issue is what's effecting everything.  

Employees can't even get emails.

Capture.JPG

Love that stock photo xD "brb im haxing"

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Love that stock photo xD "brb im haxing"

Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw that shady ass dude on their bullshit "we're upgrading" notice was maybe I should cancel my credit card that they have on file.  Something big is obviously going on and I doubt it's a bad switch somewhere.  xD

7900X with a 360mm Thermaltake (probably aluminum) radiator! At 4.7GHz  with less than 1.25V the CPU only hit 74C! 

It was able to get a 2500 cinebench score! 

CinebenchS.jpg

https://www.techspot.com/review/1437-overclocking-core-i9/

31 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It also supports overclocking out the box. The 7980XE is such an awesome value. Especially for youtube in chrome.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

7900X with a 360mm Thermaltake (probably aluminum) radiator! At 4.7GHz  with less than 1.25V the CPU only hit 74C! 

It was able to get a 2500 cinebench score! 

https://www.techspot.com/review/1437-overclocking-core-i9/

My 5960x at 4.6 1.23v hits mid 60s with a bigger loop than what he's using so that's damn impressive for a 10 core.  I plan to use the 7900x on a loop that makes my 5960x loop look like a baby AIO.  :D

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

1.25-1.3V is more 1.25V. Score as expected. No temps are shown there but good news if accurate, although there is potential that it finished before it got hot.

Can you clarify what you mean?  He shows numerous temps.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

1.25-1.3V is more 1.25V. Score as expected. 

My bad, I thought he said less than 1.25V

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

No temps are shown there but good news if accurate, although there is potential that it finished before it got hot.

Watch the video:

He stress tested the CPU for almost an hour....