7900X Coming In Hot?!

On 6/21/2017 at 1:01 PM, ivan134 said:

Did you forget you're not supposed to OC your K series CPU?!???

On 6/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

No, this is what they said: "If you don't want high temps, don't overclock because overclocking voids the warranty of your processor and increases CPU temperatures"

The guy that said that works for the NUC team at intel dude, no idea why people think he was speaking on behalf of intel.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

11 hours ago, Lays said:

The guy that said that works for the NUC team at intel dude, no idea why people think he was speaking on behalf of intel.

LOL, that guy works for the Intel NUC team? And people thought that what he said was legit info? xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

13 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Which clearly isn't AMDs plan for Ryzen Gen 1 chips. Their plan is to dominate the low to mid end of mainstream, HEDT, and server market for x86 chips as their opening blow. 

And you can also argue that Intel's plan with X299 wasn't to compete with Ryzen in terms of price/performance, despite that people are still comparing the 1700 to the 7820X and are saying that it's better value. 

13 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Delidded with a TIM with at the least double the thermal conductivity of whatever he OC'd the previous processors with. 

Yes, but the 7900X still hit 80-90C with an AiO, so even if you delid it, you will need something better than a 280mm AiO to keep it cool (especially if you want to use AVX)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Side note/status update: I ordered the 7820X + MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC bundle from the Egg. Comes with a headset I'll never use. :P I'll get it Wednesday? 

Can't wait to see how hot this puppy runs. :P 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

And you can also argue that Intel's plan with X299 wasn't to compete with Ryzen in terms of price/performance, despite that people are still comparing the 1700 to the 7820X and are saying that it's better value. 

Yes, but the 7900X still hit 80-90C with an AiO, so even if you delid it, you will need something better than a 280mm AiO to keep it cool (especially if you want to use AVX)

For as much as there are fanboy wars, the X299 platform does off the rare occasion where putting stupid amounts of money into a platform actually can produce legitimately stronger results and, somehow, at lower temperatures.  I don't think it's a practical use of ~600-900 USD, but it does offer actual performance uplift.  In certain contexts.

2 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Side note/status update: I ordered the 7820X + MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC bundle from the Egg. Comes with a headset I'll never use. :P I'll get it Wednesday? 

Can't wait to see how hot this puppy runs. :P 

May your toes never be cold in winter! 

And minus the gimped PCIe lanes, the 7820X is the best chip for the platform in the early going. We've been on 4c CPUs for so long that things seem to spawn out to 8c/16t better than 10c/20t. (Something noticeable in a lot of the early benchmarks.)  Plus, you also shouldn't have to deal with a small Sun in your case.

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

X299 didn't even take Ryzen and TR into account. I guarandamntee that when x299 was initially planned and designed, and possibly even when it was being taped out, Intel didn't have a clue as to the sucker punch that was Ryzen. At best they were sniggering into their cups that AMD was coming out with another underpowered PC architecture to try and challenge them. The reason Ryzen's launch was so borked was because AMD kept everything so very tightly under wraps. They would have known for a while that the IPC improvements were over 50% instead of 40%, but they kept saying 40% because it was advantageous to do so.

As I've said elsewhere, X299 was a rather blatant attempt to bring Intel's server side pricing and upgrade structure to the consumer HEDT space. Moreover, the only thing that makes sense as to why the i5 is there is if they were planning on removing overclocking from their mainstream chipset entirely. Course, even if that was the plan for Coffee Lake, I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to go through with it now.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

X299 didn't even take Ryzen and TR into account. I guarandamntee that when x299 was initially planned and designed, and possibly even when it was being taped out, Intel didn't have a clue as to the sucker punch that was Ryzen. At best they were sniggering into their cups that AMD was coming out with another underpowered PC architecture to try and challenge them. The reason Ryzen's launch was so borked was because AMD kept everything so very tightly under wraps. They would have known for a while that the IPC improvements were over 50% instead of 40%, but they kept saying 40% because it was advantageous to do so.

As I've said elsewhere, X299 was a rather blatant attempt to bring Intel's server side pricing and upgrade structure to the consumer HEDT space. Moreover, the only thing that makes sense as to why the i5 is there is if they were planning on removing overclocking from their mainstream chipset entirely. Course, even if that was the plan for Coffee Lake, I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to go through with it now.

Ya it is clear that the locked/unlocked CPU's is a way to get more money. a 7700 is a terrible CPU to buy now. you could get a lot better with going with ryzen.

I find the only part from intel on the consumer front worth getting  is the 7700k all the others have way better option on the AMD side.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So looking at newegg and Amazon, the 7640X, 7740X, 7800X & 7820X are all sold out. Many motherboards & combos too. I just think it's interesting to see especially the lower tier chips.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

So looking at newegg and Amazon, the 7640X, 7740X, 7800X & 7820X are all sold out. Many motherboards & combos too. I just think it's interesting to see especially the lower tier chips.

its at this times i lose faith in humanity, (mainly because of the 7640/7740)

Just now, cj09beira said:

its at this times i lose faith in humanity, (mainly because of the 7640/7740)

Depends on just how much of a paper launch X299 is. Supply could be very low. When I go by my local Frys and Microcenter I'll have to ask how many they got at launch to see.

7 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Out of stock because there was no stock?

None of the CPUs are even listed in the UK Amazon

Man19jbjRtKsUg4D6Yeqfw.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

19 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

X299 was announced in Internal roadmaps somewhere in mid-2016. Though a refresh to X99 was clearly on the year-cycle to happen in 2017, so none of that was unexpected.  What was unexpected was Threadripper, which actually didn't exist until probably late in 2016.  The TR CPUs are actually from the "Snowy Owl" product line, which was a BGA package for embedded & communications-type devices. They simply put a new package on it with a modified Epyc socket and, boom, really "cheap" X299 competitor.  

For the CPU space, that might be the fastest new product launch we've ever seen.  AMD didn't have a HEDT line until a few months ago.  Kind of nuts when you think about it.

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Ya it is clear that the locked/unlocked CPU's is a way to get more money. a 7700 is a terrible CPU to buy now. you could get a lot better with going with ryzen.

I find the only part from intel on the consumer front worth getting  is the 7700k all the others have way better option on the AMD side.

The Buying Guide for CPUs is messy at the moment.  There's some good value in the G-line of CPUs because they're so cheap.  Everything between 100 USD and 450 USD is "Buy Ryzen unless you're playing ultra-high FPS games".  There's specific buying cases for the 7700k because of single thread-thrashing games.  Beyond 450 USD, Intel is currently the only option.

Kind of fun, if you ask me, compared to the "what's your budget? We've got an Intel CPU that just fits".

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

X299 was announced in Internal roadmaps somewhere in mid-2016. Though a refresh to X99 was clearly on the year-cycle to happen in 2017, so none of that was unexpected.  What was unexpected was Threadripper, which actually didn't exist until probably late in 2016.  The TR CPUs are actually from the "Snowy Owl" product line, which was a BGA package for embedded & communications-type devices. They simply put a new package on it with a modified Epyc socket and, boom, really "cheap" X299 competitor.  

For the CPU space, that might be the fastest new product launch we've ever seen.  AMD didn't have a HEDT line until a few months ago.  Kind of nuts when you think about it.

The Buying Guide for CPUs is messy at the moment.  There's some good value in the G-line of CPUs because they're so cheap.  Everything between 100 USD and 450 USD is "Buy Ryzen unless you're playing ultra-high FPS games".  There's specific buying cases for the 7700k because of single thread-thrashing games.  Beyond 450 USD, Intel is currently the only option.

Kind of fun, if you ask me, compared to the "what's your budget? We've got an Intel CPU that just fits".

ya, I know for me I do not have big concerns about gaming FPS and I multi task a lot. (100 tabs in chrome) so I was considering x99, but now I feel AMD will give me way better bang for my buck.

I am really interested in Threadripper.

17 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Out of stock because there was no stock?

None of the CPUs are even listed in the UK Amazon

Man19jbjRtKsUg4D6Yeqfw.png

There was stock in the US. Not they're sold out. I was lucky to snatch the combo when I did.

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

There was stock in the US. Not they're sold out. I was lucky to snatch the combo when I did.

Nice, barely got anything here.

Just some pre-order on x299 mobos for now.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

ya, I know for me I do not have big concerns about gaming FPS and I multi task a lot. (100 tabs in chrome) so I was considering x99, but now I feel AMD will give me way better bang for my buck.

If X99 prices actually significantly dropped, it could be a really good purchase. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=i7-6950X&N=-1&isNodeId=1

In other news, the Haswell-E prices haven't really even freaking dropped.

10 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

One of the European reviewers actually said it was a US-only release on launch.  Sort of in passing, which is why the EU reviewers weren't getting CPUs to test.  Might have changed a little, or it might be a delayed rollout.  Considering the X-series platform is such a small portion of Intel's sales (high Mindshare:Sale ratio, though), it isn't the biggest surprise.  Especially since Coffee Lake is going to be a really big deal.

35 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

If you want to buy used parts, X99 isn't a bad option....  :D

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you want to buy used parts, X99 isn't a bad option....  :D

ya but would rather be on the newest platform so it allows for a upgrade path if I want to.

Well...my 7820x shipped from B&H.  My Gigabyte Aorus 7 from Amazon...not so much.  Shows as currently unavailable on their site.  On hold now trying to figure out of it they got any and if it is actually going to ship.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

49 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Drove to 2 Micro Centers and neither received any Skylake-X CPUs or x299 motherboards.  They always have this type of stuff on launch so I am beyond surprised.  This may be a sign that I need to wait for the Asus Apex to drop.

I should also add that Micro Center was having some sort of huge server issue, which is currently still going on.  Their product systems, registers and anything server related are all down.

20 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Drove to 2 Micro Centers and neither received any Skylake-X CPUs or x299 motherboards.  They always have this type of stuff on launch so I am beyond surprised.  

I am pretty sure that this explains why they are not soldered, yields are probably very bad so they can't afford to lose dies by soldering them.

56 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Drove to 2 Micro Centers and neither received any Skylake-X CPUs or x299 motherboards.  They always have this type of stuff on launch so I am beyond surprised.  This may be a sign that I need to wait for the Asus Apex to drop.

I should also add that Micro Center was having some sort of huge server issue, which is currently still going on.  Their product systems, registers and anything server related are all down.

I was on their website last night searching for anything X299, and every time I hit search, it gave me like a 404 error (or something similar). I was hoping to see if they had updated anything because I was planning on maybe stopping by after work but Newegg made it easier for me. :P 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

One of the European reviewers actually said it was a US-only release on launch.  Sort of in passing, which is why the EU reviewers weren't getting CPUs to test.  Might have changed a little, or it might be a delayed rollout.  Considering the X-series platform is such a small portion of Intel's sales (high Mindshare:Sale ratio, though), it isn't the biggest surprise.  Especially since Coffee Lake is going to be a really big deal.

Yeah Coffee Lake seems really promising for mainstream users but I could not wait any longer as I have nothing. :P The 8 core was what I wanted and was lucky to jump on it while I had the chance.

I'll say, it's such an odd release for Intel. Not much fanfare. Reminds me of the Broadwell 5775/5675 releases. Although those Broadwell chips are badasss with their L4 cache and near Skylake-K performance.

7 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Yeah Coffee Lake seems really promising for mainstream users but I could not wait any longer as I have nothing. :P The 8 core was what I wanted and was lucky to jump on it while I had the chance.

I'll say, it's such an odd release for Intel. Not much fanfare. Reminds me of the Broadwell 5775/5675 releases. Although those Broadwell chips are badasss with their L4 cache and near Skylake-K performance.

Realistically, the X299 won't come into its own until whatever 10nm refresh happens.  So probably 2019. They're tacking on repurposed Xeons to fill out the stack so it doesn't lose in the productivity arena to AMD. X299 will probably work out okay in the Mindshare because you can drop custom loops on it and actually get something out of it, but for sales that might be an issue once Threadripper and Coffee Lake hit.

Especially if the clock speed boost happens with Coffee Lake.