What monitor should I get?

Girell

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a new monitor. I know a few things which are quite important while choosing this. Let's start where I am now.

I am currently running a new system with a Intel i7-7700K and a Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC, so needless to say that there is power enough for some serious gaming. I am running a dual monitor setup at this moment which consists of 2 quite old monitors. These are the Acer V233H (main screen) and the Acer AL1702 (on the side). The V233H seems to be (somewhat) decent and runs at 1080p, but the AL1702 is small, and does not run full HD (it's not 720p I believe, but a little better). I do not have enough desk space to replace the small AL1702 monitor, so it will have to be the V233H that goes (or both). Since I got this new system I am very eager to upgrade other parts of my setup. Got a new mouse and a great headset already, so monitor(s) and keyboard (which I am going to do soon) are the only thing left to upgrade.

I will put this first. I am NOT a very competitive gamer, so I do not require a 4k 144hz 1ms IPS monitor. I just want a nice monitor on which I can enjoy my games very well. I do play some FPS games from time to time, and I do like my strategy games a lot. PUB is the game I mainly play at this moment.

I am looking for a larger screen with a higher resolution than 1080p. I would be looking at 2k or 4k, depending on what I can get. Great response time that is below 5ms (I want it to be better that I have now). At first I was looking for an IPS display, but all of those things together turns out to be too expensive. Then again, IPS is not necessary for gaming in a relatively dark environment. TN will (probably) be fine for what I want. Of course I would LOVE to get a G-Sync monitor, but this proves to be WAY too expensive, so I will go without that (I never had trouble without it anyway). The budget is (ideally) under 400 Euro's. I am not interested in shipping all the way from China or the US, so if it is available in (western) Europe it would be great.

Right now I am looking at the following monitor, the Samsung U28E590DS (about 370 Euro's where I want to buy it). This 4k monitor seems a nice choice for me (I think). 28" is quite large for my desk, so I hope I can still fit my AL1702 next to it to keep my browser/TS3 on. I chose this out of the rather few monitors that survived when I was looking for a 1ms TN 4k monitor under 400 Euro's. 

I would love to hear your take on this, and maybe get some advice. Did I talk total nonsense in terms of what I (might) need? Is the Samsung monitor a nice choice for a gamer like me? Any other suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Girell

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i v2 Liquid cooler

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270H GAMING

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1070 O8G GAMING

RAM: (Crucial) Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400 (2 x 8GB)

Primary disk: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIE SSD

Secondary disk: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2,5" SATA SSD

Case: Corsair Crystal series 460X RGB

Extra fan: Corsair SP120 RGB (rear mounted exhaust fan)

PSU: Corsair RM650X 650 Watt

Primary monitor: Dell S2417DG

Secondary monitor: Acer V233H

Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum

On 6/21/2017 at 8:55 PM, 107x said:

Seems interesting! It is a shame that it is not available at one of my two preferred shops here, but that does not matter too much. I do wonder if G-Sync is a worthwhile trade-off to a 4k display.. This screen would cost me around 450 euro's however, and that would be kind of over my budget. Very interesting pick tho, and thanks for the reply. Anyone else have some examples or tips? :D

Edit: I might actually be able to get this screen for much less than 450 euro's, so I guess I might actually get this one. I will take some more days to think about it tho. If anyone has any other suggestions before that then I would love to hear it. I will mark solved once I get the screen.

Edited by Girell

I was able to get a really good deal on the Dell S2417DG (470,- Euro's -> 340,- Euro's), so I got that one now. I was able to make enough space to run my Acer V233H as secondary. So far looking good! Thanks for the advice @107x. :) 

22 hours ago, Girell said:

I was able to get a really good deal on the Dell S2417DG (470,- Euro's -> 340,- Euro's), so I got that one now. I was able to make enough space to run my Acer V233H as secondary. So far looking good! Thanks for the advice @107x. :) 

im glad! hopefully you will enjoy it as do i, if you have any problems or questions about setting it up dont be afraid to ask :)

On 6/28/2017 at 5:35 AM, 107x said:

im glad! hopefully you will enjoy it as do i, if you have any problems or questions about setting it up dont be afraid to ask :)

I am basically running it as it came. I didn't really change much in the settings, except that I chose another brightness profile to suit my wishes. I have seen people talking about going all advanced to make the colors very nice. I am wondering if that is worth the effort. Could you advise me on that? :)

1 hour ago, Girell said:

I am basically running it as it came. I didn't really change much in the settings, except that I chose another brightness profile to suit my wishes. I have seen people talking about going all advanced to make the colors very nice. I am wondering if that is worth the effort. Could you advise me on that? :)

I would recommend going into the desktop color settings of the nvidia control panel, and setting the gamma to ~0.8. The monitor is a bit washed out otherwise.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

13 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I would recommend going into the desktop color settings of the nvidia control panel, and setting the gamma to ~0.8. The monitor is a bit washed out otherwise.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will try this for now. Does indeed look a bit better than before, but have yet to see its effect in gaming :D any further tips are greatly appreciated!