R7 1700 stock cooler (56C) - i7 4770K Antec H20 620 (64C)

Hi

So I was wondering if the temps I´m getting from HWMonitor on my 2 different PC´s looks weird to any of you.

One of my desktops is a ryzen r7 1700 with a stock cooler. It´s built in the Enthoo Evolv Micro Atx Case with 2 fans in the front, 2 top, 1 rear.

My max temp when gaming is 56C

The second desktop is a i7-4770K with a Antec H20 620. It´s built in a Full tower corsair obsidian (can´t remember the full name) with 2 fans in front and 2 rear fans for the radiator.

My max temp when gaming is 64C

To me this seems a bit sketchy. The water cooled desktop should be cooler in my mind. How much does the 2 fans in the top actually affect the airflow? And is the i7-4770K generally a warmer CPU than the Ryzen R7 1700?

The r7 1700 has a lower TDP, but I don't think that's the reason. The difference in TDP is very small. How old is the thermal paste on your 4770k?

Edited by CaptainGazzz

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

At stock the R7 1700 is incredibly efficient and has a TDP of 65W. The wraith spire is a 95W rated cooler. On top of that the 1700 is soldered for better heat dissipation, whereas the Intel isn't. Nothing wrong with these temp differences at all.

Glad to hear! May I ask if you would know if I should set a custom fan curve for the CPU and case fans? Because as of now the computer is pretty loud. What would you recommend? I heard some people set the fans to 0% til the CPU reaches 50C is that a wise thing to do?

6 minutes ago, CaptainGazzz said:

The r7 1700 has a lower TDP, but I don't think that's the reason. The difference in TDP is very small. How old is the thermal paste on your 4770k?

The thermal paste is recently switched as it was getting old and my temps were pretty up there. I was just confused when my never system on air was cooler while gaming.

120 mm and 140mm radiators are pretty bad, most of the time a good air cooler is much better, just like the stock cooler of amd

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

i7 4790K was known as a vulcanic thing back then but i am not sure if you are having the same thing but in 4770K

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

3 hours ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

Glad to hear! May I ask if you would know if I should set a custom fan curve for the CPU and case fans? Because as of now the computer is pretty loud. What would you recommend? I heard some people set the fans to 0% til the CPU reaches 50C is that a wise thing to do?

I would never try that. You are going to reach 50 very quick then the fans will spool up very fast to get it under control, 0-100 real fast is bad for the fan. I used the stock cooler for awhile and it is decent but a little louder than a budget cooler like a hyper 212 evo. When I used the stock cooler I used the turbo profile in my bios for the cpu fan.

35 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I would never try that. You are going to reach 50 very quick then the fans will spool up very fast to get it under control, 0-100 real fast is bad for the fan. I used the stock cooler for awhile and it is decent but a little louder than a budget cooler like a hyper 212 evo. When I used the stock cooler I used the turbo profile in my bios for the cpu fan.

Well, maybe I could atleast set a curve for the case fans seeing as I have 5 of them, so they don´t have to run that fast in idle?

4770k and 4790k are known to be hot CPUs.

Ryzen is soldered to IHS, while 4770k and 4790k are using TIM inside and Intel did put way too much adhesive.

That's why those CPUs are running hot(er).

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yes you could do that.

Any tip on how that curve could look? Sry if I´m bothering you with all these follow up questions :)

10 minutes ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

Any tip on how that curve could look? Sry if I´m bothering you with all these follow up questions :)

No worries, does your motherboard not have some default curves for you in the bios? There is usually: standard, silent, turbo and manual.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

No worries, does your motherboard not have some default curves for you in the bios? There is usually: standard, silent, turbo and manual.

Yes I think it does have that, but will silent be a good option when gaming? I guess I´ll just have to try it myself and fine tune it :)

11 hours ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

Logarithmic or straight line are best if you have PWM fans. Personally I don't run 0 rpm on anything. I've set low limit to 25% for CPU and 30% for case fans (latter are 3pins). Max for CPU is 80%, case 70%. Basically they are based on my sense on how loud they sound to me. I used Speedfan to ramp individual fans and find those. Thermal limits are low (before curve starts) 48c and max 65C. Again, got those tweaked by testing.

To your original question. You can't do that kind of comparison. Too many variables. Haswell is hot chip on Intel scale and you have midrange AIO for it. I get same temps with mild OC and midrange air cooler, so those are normal. So are temps for AMD which, while being bit hotter than FX series, only really heats up under OC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv