Why people are upset about the Scrapyard Wars Season 5 Finale

LvxOne

First of all, I loved this season of Scrapyard Wars. I enjoy all three channels and it was great seeing these four guys get together for the series. If anything, I'd love a rematch just so I could get more content of all of them together. :-)

Anyway, I don't really think people are upset that Luke & Linus won. I think what it all boils down to is:

1. One instance of rule breaking/bending resulted in disqualification while other instances of rule breaking/bending had no impact on the final sore.
  2. The final ruling was determined by one of the contestants.

I don't think anyone would have been all that upset if an unbiased judge had reviewed the instances of rule fudging and applied penalties for each to the final score. I know that would be time consuming as none of the footage had been edited, but there you go.

Anyway, I loved this season! Let's have a rematch in another country so that neither team has a hometown advantage!

:D

i think it was fair , if one of their hardware they bought failed that's tied to their budget , then it should've been a no contest , But honestly i'm thinking it might have been knowingly  put out there with the extra spicy drama , if you know what i mean *grabs ultra salty popcorn*

Details separate people.

It was Linus and Luke's call to not penalize them 30% for being late and if they would've done otherwise they'd have still won and some people still would have been taking to the forum and comments section to complain.

Scrapyard wars isn't about winning, per se. It's about seeing how far you can stretch a thin budget and they've showed pretty clearly that $500 can get you pretty far. (A 980Ti in a $500 build? I can't even get a 980Ti for $500, let alone the rest of the hardware)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I think they should replace dead hardware with equivalent at whatever cost. The idea isn't to see who can buy working parts, but who can cobble together working parts from used computers to make the best gaming rig. Problem solved. Bad components happen and I think without that worry the show would be better. That's my two cents and speaking of two cents. Jay should have been the only one to Judge who won with all the facts,not in a rushed manner. Still, I loved watching and am not really complaining just giving my opinion.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

Because Paul and Kyle got cheated:

Team Linus was willing to fly 100s of miles and it be technically ok as "travel" doesn't count.

Nearly every "deal" Team Linus made the seller was aware of who they were and asked for autographs/merch.

Linus walked around in LTT merch the whole time...

Paul and Kyle accidentally left V sync on which crippled one of their scores yet still won

Paul and Kyle designed the better looking system

Paul and Kyle "cheated" on the HDD but the harddrive doesn't affect gaming performance AND it was proved working at time of purchase but the monkey at the store ripped it out while powered up and spinning which killed it at a stage in the game too late to go buy another. What would you rather have seen? No competition at the end because paul and kyle didn't have a HDD? Something that has ZERO influence on benchmarks?

7 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

I think they should replace dead hardware with equivalent at whatever cost. The idea isn't to see who can buy working parts, but who can cobble together working parts from used components to make the best gaming rig. Problem solved. Bad components happen and I think without that worry the show would be better. That's my two cents and speaking of two cents. Jay should have been the only one to Judge who won with all the facts,not in a rushed manner. Still, I loved watching and am not really complaining just giving my opinion.

I agree, a great watch but the ending was somewhat spoiled for me. I know you and me can have a competition but I'm the judge is that ok with you?

#SoreLoser

There should be a spoiler warning on this.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Because Paul and Kyle got cheated:

Team Linus was willing to fly 100s of miles and it be technically ok as "travel" doesn't count.

Nearly every "deal" Team Linus made the seller was aware of who they were and asked for autographs/merch.

Linus walked around in LTT merch the whole time...

Paul and Kyle accidentally left V sync on which crippled one of their scores yet still won

Paul and Kyle designed the better looking system

Paul and Kyle "cheated" on the HDD but the harddrive doesn't affect gaming performance AND it was proved working at time of purchase but the monkey at the store ripped it out while powered up and spinning which killed it at a stage in the game too late to go buy another. What would you rather have seen? No competition at the end because paul and kyle didn't have a HDD? Something that has ZERO influence on benchmarks?

Jesus dude, relax and go eat some unsalted fries to try and soak up some of that salt running through your veins right now.

It was an internet TV programme and I'm damn sure all 5 of them went out for a beer afterwards and had a good laugh over the results.

This is a hugely common occurrence on Twitch too, Twitch chat start huge fights with each other over stuff that happens on Stream and get so triggered is hysterical to watch while the streamers are all chilling in a lobby together, playing games and having a beer.

Yesterday I witnessed to guys in chat getting banned because they were arguing over who made the hardest level in Mario Maker, they were literally calling each other dicks (and other things I won't repeat) and the streamer (Panga who is famous for making some of the hardest levels around) kept telling them to drop it because it doesn't matter as long as people are having fun.

Ever heard the quote "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, LvxOne said:

Anyway, I loved this season! Let's have a rematch in another country so that neither team has a hometown advantage!

:D

Wait do you mean like season 5 extended?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Jesus dude, relax and go eat some unsalted fries to try and soak up some of that salt running through your veins right now.

It was an internet TV programme and I'm damn sure all 5 of them went out for a beer afterwards and had a good laugh over the results.

This is a hugely common occurrence on Twitch too, Twitch chat start huge fights with each other over stuff that happens on Stream and get so triggered is hysterical to watch while the streamers are all chilling in a lobby together, playing games and having a beer.

Ever heard the quote "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."?

I'm not salty my response was entirely on topic. Why are people not happy with the result? Reasons are in my above post. So why don't you calm down and get out of Linus' ass he doesn't need you to be his white knight.

EDIT: I never implied or meant to imply it has caused a rift between them, I'm sure everyone had fun but in the end result Jay should have judged the entire thing and Linus cheated, fact.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I'm not salty my response was entirely on topic. Why are people not happy with the result? Reasons are in my above post. So why don't you calm down and get out of Linus' ass he doesn't need you to be his white knight.

OK two things

1) Salt =/= On Topic?

2) Please show me where I was white knighting anything, I literally said the result only matters to the audience, the participants (note the inclusive) really don't care.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OK two things

1) Salt =/= On Topic?

2) Please show me where I was white knighting anything, I literally said the result only matters to the audience, the participants (note the inclusive) really don't care.

My point was my reasoning wasn't intended as bitter/salty it was just fact. Stating facts isn't salty especially if its in direct response to the thread topic.

Springing to their defence is what I meant (I did edit previous reply a bit). I was an audience member and from my perspective I watched Paul and Kyle get cheated. I doubt the participants care but the thread topic was why are viewers upset so I answered it.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

My point was my reasoning wasn't intended as bitter/salty it was just fact. Stating facts isn't salty especially if its in direct response to the thread topic.

Springing to their defence is what I meant (I did edit previous reply a bit). I was an audience member and from my perspective I watched Paul and Kyle get cheated.

FTR being salty just means being bitter about something, whether its on topic or not is entirely irrelevant.

I didn't spring to anyone's defence and I challenge you to quote me as saying anything otherwise. In fact if you read my response you'll notice I didn't mention any of the participants at all.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Springing to their defence is what I meant (I did edit previous reply a bit). I was an audience member and from my perspective I watched Paul and Kyle get cheated. I doubt the participants care but the thread topic was why are viewers upset so I answered it.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

FTR being salty just means being bitter about something, whether its on topic or not is entirely irrelevant.

I didn't spring to anyone's defence and I challenge you to quote me as saying anything otherwise.

You missed it 1st time round so I've bolded it for you.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

You missed it 1st time round so I've bolded it for you.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

You missed it (despite being the one who posted it) so I've emboldened it for you.

Yes, stating facts can indeed be done in a salty way.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

You missed it (despite being the one who posted it) so I've emboldened it for you.

Ok well I suppose in my mind there is on topic "salt" and off topic salt where you just go off on a salty tangent. Why am I even having this conversationnnnn such a thread clogger sorry everyone commenting on topic (like my 1st post). I'm not gonna argue definitions of salt/bitterness. OP asked a question, I answered as did others (I don't see you hounding them) my reasons were not intended as salt as I personally have no feeling on the subject I don't care. My response as to why do people disagree with the ruling was the facts stated in my 1st post. Are you satisfied? :P