Can you recommend me a mechanical keyboard?

Bugses

Hi there,

My G710+ is due for an replacement. I have no idea which keyboards are good today, so I hope you can help me out. Heres what I would like:

Mechanical

RGB

Macro keys

Separate volume adjustment (prefer a scrollwheel like on the Corsair Ks and G710+)

Numpad

Got any suggestions?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

I don't have a suggestion, but i do have a recommendation.

Do NOT, i repeat, NOT, get a razer keyboard.

DON'T get one of them. Everything else is fine imo.

I even have a cheap-ass chinese knock-off for 27 bucks (no numpad, no macro's, fake MX blues but it does have LED's) and tbh it's better than razer crap.

I tried a blackwidow once with "razer green" switches, there were complete crap, just awful.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Hi there,

My G710+ is due for an replacement. I have no idea which keyboards are good today, so I hope you can help me out. Heres what I would like:

Mechanical

RGB

Macro keys

Separate volume adjustment (prefer a scrollwheel like on the Corsair Ks and G710+)

Numpad

Got any suggestions?

Get ducky shine 6, if it's available. It has PBT keycaps, much better than usual abs shit.

Or CM masterkeys.

9 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Mechanical

RGB

Macro keys

Numpad

K95 platinum has all of that.

Image result for K95 platinum

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Get ducky shine 6, if it's available. It has PBT keycaps, much better than usual abs shit.

Or CM masterkeys.

Neither have the volume scrollwheel or macro keys.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

K95 platinum has all of that.

What do you think of it?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

Just now, Bugses said:

What do you think of it?

lol K70 peasant over here.  I like corsairs software and the volume wheel (very similar) is awesome.  The next keyboard I buy (if the K70 dies) will likely be a K95 plat.

Just now, Bugses said:

Neither have the volume scrollwheel or macro keys.

What do you think of it?

Wrong, shine 6 has volume control buttons and it is fully programmable, even without any software. CM can be also programmed via it's software. Yes, no multimedia keys on that, but there is an fn-layer, so not a big deal.

I can't recommend k95 because I didn't use one. Also I've heard that rgb effects are not available without software running for it.

Just now, Damascus said:

lol K70 peasant over here.  I like corsairs software and the volume wheel (very similar) is awesome.  The next keyboard I buy (if the K70 dies) will likely be a K95 plat.

If I've understood correctly, then the "only" difference between the K70 and K95, is that K95 has the macro keys, right?

Just now, paprikman said:

I can't recommend k95 because I didn't use one. Also I've heard that rgb effects are not available without software running for it.

You can change static colors permanently on it  but not special effects.

Just now, Bugses said:

If I've understood correctly, then the "only" difference between the K70 and K95, is that K95 has the macro keys, right?

That and a lightbar up top +  backlit logo

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You can change static colors permanently on it  but not special effects.

Yes, exactly what I said. No effects without software running.

5 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Yes, exactly what I said. No effects without software running.

Ah.  Thought you meant it reverted to the bb static red with white wasd/arrow keys

On 6/21/2017 at 8:31 PM, samcool55 said:

I even have a cheap-ass chinese knock-off for 27 bucks (no numpad, no macro's, fake MX blues but it does have LED's) and tbh it's better than razer crap.

I tried a blackwidow once with "razer green" switches, there were complete crap, just awful.

It all person opinion imo, i had razer keyboard for almost a year and i was able to resell it at same price i got it. It actually not that bad. I enjoy the switch, some of my friend also did, some not.

Personally, why do people still have RGB unless your color scheme is not one of standard colors. Ducky, is good for decent price and quality standard backlit keyboard. 

Magical Pineapples

It annoys me, that the Corsair ones are so expensive. But I really need the macro keys. I don't think there's enough macro keys on the K95 Plat though, and the regular K95 costs even more.

Corsair STRAFE RGB is quite nice, but I've heard nice things about the K95 too.

1 hour ago, Bugses said:

It annoys me, that the Corsair ones are so expensive. But I really need the macro keys. I don't think there's enough macro keys on the K95 Plat though, and the regular K95 costs even more.

I don't think that there's any way of getting around the price: Corsair KBs are just really nice quality. The K95 has a metal plate on the back and the STRAFE has a plastic one, if that makes any difference to you, so you might want to pay the extra $30-$50 for a nicer lighting and durability.

8 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It all person opinion imo, i had razer keyboard for almost a year and i was able to resell it at same price i got it. It actually not that bad. I enjoy the switch, some of my friend also did, some not. Why don't you 

Personally, why do people still have RGB unless your color scheme is not one of standard colors. Ducky, is good for decent price and quality standard backlit keyboard. 

I hate it because it's really inconsistent. They don't feel the same at all. Even my chinese fake blues are much more consistent than the razer greens or whatever.

Some feel mushy, some feel sturdy, it's annoying...

Also i have an objective reason to hate them, i told this story already a few times (i should whack it into a notpad document and just use that tbh...) but anyway.

Let's take the Razer Blackwidow as an example, simple mechanical keyboard, few macro's, nothing special.

Anyway, years ago the Blackwidow came with MX blues, and as we know they are really good. Very consistent, no quality issues, very nice switches. Expensive but imo the price was justified, you got a product with a good quality for your money. Let's say a Blackwidow with MX blues was 100 bucks, to keep the story simple.

So, a few years ago, the patent for mechanical switches from Cherry, expired, which allowed other manufacturers to develop and sell their own mechanical switches, including cheap chinese ones. What razer did was ditch the MX switches and replaced them with switches from worse quality, so at that point the quality of the Blackwidow went down due to use of inferior switches. But what happened to the price of the keyboard? NOTHING, nada, premium price, still there, still 100 bucks even tho you now buy something worse than before.

Razer switches aren't as good as MX switches but they still ask MX prices, which is BS. And they do some other sh*t i don't like so i refuse to give them my money, there are much better options out there...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

• 3 weeks later...

I got the K95 RGB Platinum :)

On 6/21/2017 at 11:31 AM, samcool55 said:

I kinda dont mind razer keyboards, the widow 2016 is pretty nice. But its my opinion and still wouldnt reccomend it in terms of cost for what you get

Guess I'm late here, was gonna suggest the HyperX line of keyboards...