Atomos Ninja Infero worth it for Diploma Thesis?

Hey guys.

I gonna fly to vietnam in 20 days for 5 weeks to film and photograph for my diploma thesis. I will take my 5D3 and GH5 with me. I want good video results, so I am looking at the Ninja Infero right now. 1200€ only for the device + another 700 bucks for accesories are quite much for a student, so I ask you if the difference in videoquality is great or only minor. I am not really experienced in videography and color grading/correction, so I would need some time to get into it. Would it be important to have Prores 422 10bit footage for color grading when using the cinelike D picture style? Or would 422 8Bit would be enough? I don´t really see much difference in all the 10vs 8bit tests out there.

35 minutes ago, Delta-Force said:

Hey guys.

I gonna fly to vietnam in 20 days for 5 weeks to film and photograph for my diploma thesis. I will take my 5D3 and GH5 with me. I want good video results, so I am looking at the Ninja Infero right now. 1200€ only for the device + another 700 bucks for accesories are quite much for a student, so I ask you if the difference in videoquality is great or only minor. I am not really experienced in videography and color grading/correction, so I would need some time to get into it. Would it be important to have Prores 422 10bit footage for color grading when using the cinelike D picture style? Or would 422 8Bit would be enough? I don´t really see much difference in all the 10vs 8bit tests out there.

If all you want is to have ProRes files, you can always transcode the internal recording to ProRes in post.  The advantage of something like the Ninja Inferno:

• large screen to check stuff like focus and composition
  • field monitor features (focus peaking, false color, histogram, waveforms, vectorscopes, zebras, and of course AtomHDR)
  • if the camera supports better/higher quality signal via the HDMI output (such as 8-bit 4:2:0 in-camera but perhaps 10-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI out)
  • longer continuous recording (if the camera has an internal limit)

Yes, 10-bit 4:2:2 footage might the the minimum quality you would want if you plan to do heavy color grading.  Obviously the higher the better.

35 minutes ago, Delta-Force said:

I don´t really see much difference in all the 10vs 8bit tests out there.

You won't see much difference in final distribution files.  But there is a difference in the rushes.  And 10-bit will be important to have if you work with LOG footage.  8-bit 4:2:0 isn't ideal for LOG footage, and I wouldn't even use 4:2:2 8-bit files for color grading.  10-bit 4:2:2 or better just has so much more latitude.

FYI, I own the Shogun Inferno, one of my favorite field monitor/recorders.

My recommendation: I won't say don't get it or get it.  Think about whether you really need it or not.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I think I won't do hevy color grading, just a little bit of contrast or whitebalance tweaking if I don't get it right in recording. My concern is that I won't use the Inferno after that project, that it is a Kilo more in the bag and that I need a cage or rig to mount it on. But I think I will make the Investment. Even if I sell it used for 900 bucks it was a nice experience.

@AkiraDaarkst One question: What SSD drives do you use for your shogun? I want to buy Crucial MX300 with 512GB, but they aren't in the list of compatible drives. Would you say it's pretty much doesn't matter what drive is in use? I would really like to buy the crucial one, because they are 100€ cheaper then the 850 pros

30 minutes ago, Delta-Force said:

@AkiraDaarkst One question: What SSD drives do you use for your shogun? I want to buy Crucial MX300 with 512GB, but they aren't in the list of compatible drives. Would you say it's pretty much doesn't matter what drive is in use? I would really like to buy the crucial one, because they are 100€ cheaper then the 850 pros

I use Samsung, and sometimes Sandisk.  Do you really need the Samsung Pros?  I've used the Evos before without issue.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

If the EVOs work fine I will go with them. Are the same price as the crucial ones. Thanks for help.

• 2 weeks later...

@AkiraDaarkst

So I got my Ninja today. What camera do you use it with? I ask because I have the problem with running the GH5 in 4k60p 10bit mode. I have bought brand new HDMI 2.0b cables which the manufacturers say thay can have the 18Gbit/s speed. Which cables do you use?

5 hours ago, Delta-Force said:

@AkiraDaarkst

So I got my Ninja today. What camera do you use it with? I ask because I have the problem with running the GH5 in 4k60p 10bit mode. I have bought brand new HDMI 2.0b cables which the manufacturers say thay can have the 18Gbit/s speed. Which cables do you use?

I'm using a FS7 and a C300mk II.  I use SDI cables.  Check to make sure you have the latest firmware for the camera and the Inferno.