best way to "teamwork" on 4k footage simultaneously ?

Hello guys! We are a team of 4 people and we creat visual content in 4k. Until now we store everything on an old server ( very slow) only for back up and when we are editing we copy all the files we need on one external ssd and we pass it around! Now we got some extra money and we want to use one very fast storage ( NAS) to work together at the same time ! We want to use thunderbolt 2 connectivity. 

What would be the best choice ?

(  sorry for my bad english)

Cheers!!

I'd suggest going for 10gbps ethernet instead of restricting yourselves on thunderbolt.

10gbps switches are getting cheaper and rj45/copper based 10gbps network cards aren't really that expensive when you think about it (130$ for aquantia cards , and you can find intel ethernet cards on eBay for as little as 75$  (intel x520, intel x540)

Thunderbold would limit you do small length cables and more expensive motherboards or apple products.

It's exactly like 1gbps networks , only you have to use network switches with 10gbps ethernet ports and network cards with 10gbps ports.

The cheapest on that website is this one: Netgear XS708E ProSafe Plus, 10GBase-T  - it has 8 x 10 gbps ports on it. You connect your computers to it using Cat6a network cables .. from that website, these would work fine.

If that network switch is too expensive, you can try Amazon UK or .de (whatever is convenient to you.. though I'm not sure if you pay import taxes)

Here's XS708 : https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-XS708E-200NES/dp/B01GTWPTJY/

On Amazon it's very hard to find the items by going through menus, but you can look at other sites to see switches with 10gbps ports and then search Amazon for those particular models.

I agree on going 10Gb ethernet instead of Thunderbolt 2. Thunderbolt 2 can offer greater speed (20Gb) but you are going to be limited into a technology that is EOL and somewhat proprietary (AFAIK only Intel makes Thunderbolt 2 chips). The only reason i could see going thunderbolt 2 would be if all your machines already support it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

how much of this extra money do you have?

this will cost a few thousand to do right and have full speed at all times.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA