Should I IInvest in Wireless Headsets?

kecap
On 23/6/2017 at 10:42 PM, Aphala said:

In all honestly, Wireless is MUCH better than it was like 6 or so years ago. *naturally* I'm a wired man but since these recharging headsets look nice, can anyone recommend some good high end wireless gaming ones?

According to my research the LUCIDSOUND LS30 should be the top ones, and they aren't even that expensive. I've the Siberia 800s and I really like them, however I think at their normal price they are a bit too expensive :)

I havn't tried the LUCIDSOUNDs myself so my recommendation is purely based on internet research.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:29 PM, rasmuskrj said:

According to my research the LUCIDSOUND LS30 should be the top ones, and they aren't even that expensive. I've the Siberia 800s and I really like them, however I think at their normal price they are a bit too expensive :)

I havn't tried the LUCIDSOUNDs myself so my recommendation is purely based on internet research.

Nice, will need to check these out. My Razer Kraken 7.1's ALWAYS tangle no matter how hard you try! 

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:58 PM, rasmuskrj said:

I agree with you that some gear is inherently better but how much value that the improvement has to you is entirely subjective. To use the display analogy, there is no question about the fact that a 27" 4K monitor has a higher pixel density than a 1440p 27" monitor. However I cannot see the difference unless I sit uncomfortably close. And I would much rather avoid the hassle of scaling Windows such that text is readable than having the higher pixel density (which I can hardly see anyway).

And now that you mention high refresh rate monitors: I own a 165hz monitor and I've tried messing around with different refresh rates. While I can see the difference when looking at things such as the UFO test, I really can't see much of a difference between 120hz and 165hz when playing competitive fps games. I would never base my buying decision on which screen has the highest refresh rate, as long as it is above a certain threshhold. You might have better eyes than me and therefore benefit more from the higher refresh rates. That too is dependant on the particular buyer.

Anyway it sounds like we agree :)

Just an aside on your comment about FPS games...

It isn't about what you "see", it's about what you FEEL.  The primary benefit to a higher refresh rate has nothing to do with a smoother picture, it has to to with faster updates and better positional information.  Without getting into too much detail the TL;DR is that the higher your refresh rate the better your shot registration will be, for everyone of every skill level without fail.  If you played on a 240hz TN panel with zero input lag and recorded your statistics over a reasonable (and therefore accurate) sample size and then did the same on a zero input lag 60hz screen you'd see a tremendous difference in accuracy and contrary to what most people think it has nothing to do with your reaction time.  I've made big posts on it in the display forum so I won't go into any more detail, but if you're interested have a look in my post history.

But yeah, I don't think we really disagree we just have slightly different ideas of value and that's ok.

On 6/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, rasmuskrj said:

It is nice to hear that you have that approach, not sure that everyone do. Do you have any experience with the models the OP mentions? Or the Siberia 800s? Would be interesting to hear your perspective.

While I agree with you that audio tech is not moving particulaly fast, what i meant was the companies like Logitech, Steelseries, Corsair etc. might get better at building headphones as time goes by, or start using technology from established brands. Also companies such as Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have made a move into the headset market. The Game One seem to be based on the hd 598 with a pretty good mic slapped on the side.

I just need to comment on this... Sennheiser hasn't "made a move" into headsets, they have been making them since at least the early 2000s and have been widely considered the best gaming headsets on the market for as long as online gaming has existed.  They may have been around before that but that's when I was introduced to them so I'm not sure.

As for "headset technology"... almost nothing has changed for any of the brands except visual design in the last 5-10 years.  The G4ME series headphones are virtually carbon copies of the PC360 series that was a virtual copy of the PC350 series before it.  You'd have to go back 7-10 years to see any real change in Sennheiser gaming headsets and the same is true of the other companies.

If you absolutely must have a gaming headset then pick up a pair of the PC350SE's around the holidays when they are like $85, you'll be getting a slightly more "boring" (ie: gray) version of the closed back G4ME headphones for half to one third of the price.  At any rate, none of the headsets are anywhere near as good as the HD line of headphones (not even with dedicated amplification).  They do that intentionally because they don't want to eat into their own customer base and they want gamers to upgrade to "real" audio down the road.

My brother only uses gaming headsets because he breaks them too often to get "real headphones" (according to him).  So I've tried most of the major offerings from Logitech, SteelSeries, etc (in addition to my Sennheiser ones), and none of them are in any way comparable and the Sennheiser are definitely a cut above the rest.

3 hours ago, aithos said:

I just need to comment on this... Sennheiser hasn't "made a move" into headsets, they have been making them since at least the early 2000s and have been widely considered the best gaming headsets on the market for as long as online gaming has existed.  They may have been around before that but that's when I was introduced to them so I'm not sure.

As for "headset technology"... almost nothing has changed for any of the brands except visual design in the last 5-10 years.  The G4ME series headphones are virtually carbon copies of the PC360 series that was a virtual copy of the PC350 series before it.  You'd have to go back 7-10 years to see any real change in Sennheiser gaming headsets and the same is true of the other companies.

If you absolutely must have a gaming headset then pick up a pair of the PC350SE's around the holidays when they are like $85, you'll be getting a slightly more "boring" (ie: gray) version of the closed back G4ME headphones for half to one third of the price.  At any rate, none of the headsets are anywhere near as good as the HD line of headphones (not even with dedicated amplification).  They do that intentionally because they don't want to eat into their own customer base and they want gamers to upgrade to "real" audio down the road.

My brother only uses gaming headsets because he breaks them too often to get "real headphones" (according to him).  So I've tried most of the major offerings from Logitech, SteelSeries, etc (in addition to my Sennheiser ones), and none of them are in any way comparable and the Sennheiser are definitely a cut above the rest.

I sort of clarified in the section you quoted that I meant that gaming peripheral companies might get better at making headphones than they were 1-2 years ago. Or they might not, but you have to try the new headsets to know for sure.

Yea I would have definitely gotten one of the Sennheiser ones (or the AKG K612 with some sort of mic) if I was getting a wired set of headphones. But I really wanted a wireless pair, and I was willing to sacrifice sound quality to get them :)