Would the Sony G lens 18-105mm be okay for vlogging

I have the opportunity to get a very good deal on the Sony 6500 camera (body only). I want to do a ton of photography and light cinematography with this camera. I can also get a pretty great deal on the Sony G lens that is 18-105mm.I was just wanting some input on if the lens would be alright to vlog with? 

The camera: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Digital-Camera-2-95-Inch/dp/B01M586Y9R

The lens: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SELP18105G-PZ-18-105mm-OSS/dp/B00ENZRQH8/ref=pd_sim_421_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ENZRQH8&pd_rd_r=ZGH1Y0SYXV7ZNJXM0JMV&pd_rd_w=NdUim&pd_rd_wg=X7CKV&psc=1&refRID=ZGH1Y0SYXV7ZNJXM0JMV.

33 minutes ago, Chioatzu said:

I have the opportunity to get a very good deal on the Sony 6500 camera (body only). I want to do a ton of photography and light cinematography with this camera. I can also get a pretty great deal on the Sony G lens that is 18-105mm.I was just wanting some input on if the lens would be alright to vlog with? 

The camera: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Digital-Camera-2-95-Inch/dp/B01M586Y9R

The lens: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SELP18105G-PZ-18-105mm-OSS/dp/B00ENZRQH8/ref=pd_sim_421_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ENZRQH8&pd_rd_r=ZGH1Y0SYXV7ZNJXM0JMV&pd_rd_w=NdUim&pd_rd_wg=X7CKV&psc=1&refRID=ZGH1Y0SYXV7ZNJXM0JMV.

It's a very good lens, I use it often on my A6500 and FS7.

It has a motorized servo zoom, and the zoom controls are fly-by-wire and NOT mechanical.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing.  You can get smooth zoom control for video, however it's slow to react if you want to zoom very fast or stop zooming because the speed ramps up and down.  Because it's servo zoom this also means you might find it difficult

tbc.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's a very good lens, I use it often on my A6500 and FS7.

It has a motorized servo zoom, and the zoom controls are fly-by-wire and NOT mechanical.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing.  You can get smooth zoom control for video, however it's slow to react if you want to zoom very fast or stop zooming because the speed ramps up and down.  Because it's servo zoom this also means you might find it difficult

tbc.

I wasn't too concerned with the speed of zoom to be completely honest. I appreciate the insight though, at least prepares me fore the differences.So you think it could function for the vlogging aspect as well?

29 minutes ago, Chioatzu said:

I wasn't too concerned with the speed of zoom to be completely honest. I appreciate the insight though, at least prepares me fore the differences.So you think it could function for the vlogging aspect as well?

It's a good lens, but just know that because the lens is using servo zoom controls and not mechanical controls like most other photo lenses, you may find that it doesn't respond fast enough.

Also on the A6500, when you turn off the camera and turn it back on, it takes a few seconds before you can start taking photos or video.  And the lens' zoom level resets.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I wouldn't think it's great for vlogs if your trying to hand hold or use it on a gorilla pod extended from your body. At 18mm i don't think it's wide enough. If your trying to get the Casey look you will neee a 10-18mm. But if you setting up on a tripod and have some distance your fine. Also keep in mind the minimum focusing distance of the lens. I have both lenses mentioned and are great but I am always frustrated with the minimum focus on the 18-105. At 18mm on the 18-105 you shouldn't have any issues though at arms length.

It could maybe not be wide enough, you should try it in a store and see so the FOV at 18mm will fit your face and all that in frame. If it doesn't id go with the 10-18mm which it seems is the focal length most vloggers use. 

The 18-105 might work but I would try before buying. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

I think 18mm should be fine, but I dont remember if Sony sensor size is the same as Canon or not....
At least, On my canon 600D, at 18 mm and my arm straight out, my face fits just fine with more. 

But you should probably listen to others here rather than me, I am a complete noob :P

I dont think its the smallest lens tho, if that matters...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I think 18mm should be fine, but I dont remember if Sony sensor size is the same as Canon or not....
At least, On my canon 600D, at 18 mm and my arm straight out, my face fits just fine with more. 

But you should probably listen to others here rather than me, I am a complete noob :P

I dont think its the smallest lens tho, if that matters...

I'm a noob too thats why I came here for assistance :D

14 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

I wouldn't think it's great for vlogs if your trying to hand hold or use it on a gorilla pod extended from your body. At 18mm i don't think it's wide enough. If your trying to get the Casey look you will neee a 10-18mm. But if you setting up on a tripod and have some distance your fine. Also keep in mind the minimum focusing distance of the lens. I have both lenses mentioned and are great but I am always frustrated with the minimum focus on the 18-105. At 18mm on the 18-105 you shouldn't have any issues though at arms length.

The only reason I'm not going for the 10-18mm at this moment is that I have the opportunity to get the 18-105mm cheaper than the 10-18mm, or else I would totally go for the 10-18mm.

Yeah don't get me wrong the 18-105 is my favorite lens. It's a do everything take everywhere lens. So definatly a good choice. If you want to save some cash you can look at getting a rokken or how ever it's spelled. They have a 14mm lens I think it's always on sale for $250. But it's also manual focus. 

On 6/22/2017 at 4:28 AM, thekillergazebo said:

Yeah don't get me wrong the 18-105 is my favorite lens. It's a do everything take everywhere lens. So definatly a good choice. If you want to save some cash you can look at getting a rokken or how ever it's spelled. They have a 14mm lens I think it's always on sale for $250. But it's also manual focus. 

I'm getting the 18-105 cheaper than that but I will totally look at that 14mm lens