Web host agrees to pay $1m after it’s hit by Linux-targeting ransomware

A Web-hosting service recently agreed to pay $1 million to a ransomware operation that encrypted data stored on 153 Linux servers and 3,400 customer websites, the company said recently.

As for how this Linux ransomware arrives, we can only infer that Erebus may have possibly leveraged vulnerabilities or a local Linux exploit. For instance, based on open-source intelligence, NAYANA’s website runs on Linux kernel 2.6.24.2, which was compiled back in 2008. Security flaws like DIRTY COW that can provide attackers root access to vulnerable Linux systems are just some of the threats it may have been exposed to.

Additionally, NAYANA’s website uses Apache version 1.3.36 and PHP version 5.1.4, both of which were released back in 2006. Apache vulnerabilities and PHP exploits are well-known; in fact, there was even a tool sold in the Chinese underground expressly for exploiting Apache Struts. The version of Apache NAYANA used is run as a user of nobody(uid=99), which indicates that a local exploit may have also been used in the attack.

This should serve as a reminder that you need to patch all your servers, not just your windows ones. Remember, if you don't patch it, you don't own it.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/web-host-agrees-to-pay-1m-after-its-hit-by-linux-targeting-ransomware/

I thought that you weren't supposed to pay the ransom?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Im sure this is a repost?

I could have sworn I saw something yesterday that was posted about already ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I thought that you weren't suppose to pay the ransom?

You're not.  It gives these people money so they can afford to keep doing this to more people, and shows them that it's a viable business.

Not to mention there's no guarantee they'll even do what they promised, or that they won't reinfect you in the future.

8 minutes ago, NZLaurence said:

[...]NAYANA’s website runs on Linux kernel 2.6.24.2,[...]

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Im sure this is a repost?

I could have swarn I saw something yesterday that was posted about already ...

I though so too but I could not find it on here, hence the post.

Also I will have to correct the formatting as mobile fail.

Company negotiators later managed to get the fee lowered

This is funny for 3 reasons.

You have money for negotiators but not to install free and easily applied patches.

What the fuck is their job?  "I've got a buddy that works in ransomware, let me have him come down and give a fair price".  "best I can do is $1M".

Does this happen often enough that they need to keep them on staff?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You're not.  It gives these people money so they can afford to keep doing this to more people, and shows them that it's a viable business.

Not to mention there's no guarantee they'll even do what they promised, or that they won't reinfect you in the future.

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem.jpg

If a ransomware comes after the fact, and backups are not made, there isn't much option for a company aside from paying the ransom. If the data is worth more substantially than the ransom (lack of backups aside), then a company probably will pay the ransom for that chance (however remote) of getting the data back vs not paying and having virtually zero chance.

Not defending any company here, as lack of backups for valuable data is not excusable, but this appears to be a fairly common occurrence.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

BBBBBB-B-B-B-BUT LINUX IS INVINCIBLE AND PERFECT AND HAS NO FLAWS!!!!! THIS IS MADE UP!

FAKE NEWS. SAD.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Remember, if you don't patch it, you don't own it.

Innuendo?

It's pretty common today for companies to do this.  Especially if they aren't making enough profit, which in turn means they can't afford to have good system administrators to update all the machines. 

Companies should realize it is critical to invest in simple security measures like patching servers and software.  You could also blame the administrators as well, or even management, if an administrator went to them suggesting they patch the servers. 

I think it's more common that we think for IT staff to suggest improvements and they get turned down, or management want them to make-do with what they currently have.  Effectively making it inevitable there will be a disaster.  I don't know about you, but I used to watch some of those airplane disaster shows, and most of the time there was a mechanical failure it was because the company decided to keep a breaking aircraft and repair it constantly until it finally gives, and breaks.

That is probably what happened here.  The stuffy, greedy executives wanted to keep insecure servers and make profits.  Even worse, they were forced to pay, so maybe the company DIDN'T have off-site backups?! Which is quite an alarming thought, you would think they would have off-site backups regardless of security.  

At least they are keeping security-people in demand.

Its also possible that they had someone on staff who set it all up that then moved onto a new job. Management don't want to replace them with someone as good (expensive). The other staff go into a holding pattern, because 'it work right'.

I have seen that happen more then once with even medium sized companies. Often when the original guy was much better then their pay and left to much more money and they just weren't willing to pay what they should.

i wonder what the staff turnover is like. Some executives treat system & network engineers as a nuisance. When a new CEO arrives the common theme is budget cuts to maximize shareholder return. This way the CEO gets a fat bonus and shareholders are happy. Its not the hardworkers who survive a budget cut, its the long serving ones with big pay cheques.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Imagine how much backup 1m could have bought. Prob a hell of a lot cheaper than paying these losers.

9 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

This should serve as a reminder that you need to patch all your servers, not just your windows ones. Remember, if you don't patch it, you don't own it.

Are they able to get a decryption key to recover their files? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

50 minutes ago, Nertsy said:

Unfortunately, stories like this one will become more commonplace. Companies don't see the point of investing in proper backups (read: offline backups!). As long as it runs, the cheapest solution is usually the one that goes. 

Also, real DBAs and System Admins are expensive. 

Go to /r/talesfromtechsupport, sometimes a story like this appears.

Honestly CEO's or whatever should read some of them, maybe that will make them realise this is important...

Or just keep ignoring it until it all goes to sh*t.

Last story i read was about a company that had basically 0 protection for people entering the server room, CEO didn't care, few months later multiple millions worth of gear got stolen, room was almost completely empty... Suddenly the room was behind a bunch of protection, wonder why....

If there's 1 thing i learned is that it doesn't matter how much you earn nor what your position is, stupid people are everywhere.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, 2Buck said:

BBBBBB-B-B-B-BUT LINUX IS INVINCIBLE AND PERFECT AND HAS NO FLAWS!!!!! THIS IS MADE UP!

I don't think anyone has ever said that a GNU/Linux distro which hasn't been patched for 9 years, running software which hasn't been patched in 11 years will be impenetrable. 

7 hours ago, 2Buck said:

nobody is saying that. this is like saying that people saying windows 10 is the most secure OS yet are also saying that windows vista is the most secure OS yet, apples and oranges.

5 hours ago, tlink said:

nobody is saying that. this is like saying that people saying windows 10 is the most secure OS yet are also saying that windows vista is the most secure OS yet, apples and oranges.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think anyone has ever said that a GNU/Linux distro which hasn't been patched for 9 years, running software which hasn't been patched in 11 years will be impenetrable. 

You'd both be surprised at what I've seen people say. You may not have seen someone say that, but I have. More than once. I mean, is it that hard to believe? The internet is full of stupidity.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

153 servers with 3400 customers and not a single fucking backup. Their IT staff should be fired to be honest.

On 2017. 06. 21. at 3:00 AM, 2Buck said:

FAKE NEWS. SAD.

Linux can be insecure too you know, if like in this case the company is dumb like hell. That kernel is ancient(and the software running on it as well i think). Try this with an up-todate and properly configured linux distro with SE-Linux enabled...9_9

Edited by jagdtigger

On 6/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Mooshi said:

Imagine how much backup 1m could have bought. Prob a hell of a lot cheaper than paying these losers.

About 400TB of Commvault capacity license which will cost you $200k per year in maintenance/support, excluding required hardware

Paying a ransom makes you a more likely target in the future, they'll do it again knowing you'll pay up.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

7 hours ago, sof006 said:

Paying a ransom makes you a more likely target in the future, they'll do it again knowing you'll pay up.

Also makes you look like a total fool to anyone "in the know".  No self-respecting tech-savvy person would be a customer there by choice in the future now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.