Multiple resolutions in one monitor?

Hi, I have recently been looking for a new gaming monitor and can't decide which type to go for. I was wondering if I could possibly buy a 4k but if I desire switch between 4k 60hz and either 1440p or 1080p at a higher frame rate such as 120hz or 144hz or if I could switch resolution but have to stick with the 60hz? Thanks!

Its just the resolutions it stays at 60hz no matter what

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Yeah you can. With a 4K monitor you can switch to 1080p no problem, it will look just like a 1080p monitor, just at the size of your monitor, because 1 '1080p pixel' will take up 4 pixels of your monitor.

1440p might look funky because you would be trying to fit 3 pixels in a 4 pixel space..

Also, your monitor will still be limited to your monitor's refresh rate, there are currently not many 144Hz 4K panels, so that would be hard. If you're just asking about the fps you would be getting.. Yeah I guess that is how it works (lower resolution = more frames)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What is your current PCs specs? It depends on the monitor if you can go to 120 or 144hz. If it is a 4k 60hz it will always be 60hz or less. You can buy a 144hz and set it up to 144 or as low as probably 20 or so.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

13 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

What is your current PCs specs? It depends on the monitor if you can go to 120 or 144hz. If it is a 4k 60hz it will always be 60hz or less. You can buy a 144hz and set it up to 144 or as low as probably 20 or so.

I have a i5 6600 16 gb of ram and a gtx 1080 ti literally a week away so I need to upgrade my monitor or else it will be wasted. Ive looked for 144hz 4k but they seem to be non existent...

That's one thing I miss about the old CRT displays ... you could scale the resolution to pretty much anything you wanted (up to the max), without the scaling / aliasing issues that you get with LCDs.  Also at lower resolutions the refresh rates were higher, but not nearly to the extent we see in various models of LCDs today.  (For example you might get 60 Hz at 2048x1536 which IIRC was the max, 75 Hz at 1600x1200, 85 Hz at 1280x1024 and below.)  Also 60 Hz on a CRT was a very flickery experience.  I could even see some flicker at 75 Hz, it wasn't until 85 Hz that it was pretty smooth.  (Even then, I think in peripheral vision in the right cases I could detect a little flicker at 85 Hz at the higher supported resolutions.)

4 minutes ago, jimbogamer38 said:

I have a i5 6600 16 gb of ram and a gtx 1080 to literally a week away so I need to upgrade my monitor or else it will be wasted. Ive looked for 144hz 4k but they seem to be non existent...

I'd go ultrawide 1080@144Hz, if you can afford it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers