Ping test timing out. unstable internet (hard to describe)

Froger96

hey guys,

since i moved back to my parents, i've noticed some bad internet. for example, some pages taking close to 30 seconds to load, such as facebook or youtube, yet the connect speed is fast, i can watch full HD videos fine. there have also been times when two devices are connected to the internet. and on spotify only one comes up. i know it's a very vage description but is there any way i can find a way to troubleshoot so i can describe the problem better. my ping is also good to not. also when i do a CMD ping test to somewhere like google.co.uk the request times out and all packets are lost.

thanks in advance,

Fishhy

This may or may not work, but try actively cooling your Router and/or modem.

Those things run pretty hot (especially in the summer) and can thermal throttle. 

If you don't want to do that, unplug them for a few minutes, blow on them to get the heat out, and plug it back in. That fixed it for me.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

On 2017-6-20 at 9:25 PM, bob51zhang said:

This may or may not work, but try actively cooling your Router and/or modem.

Those things run pretty hot (especially in the summer) and can thermal throttle. 

If you don't want to do that, unplug them for a few minutes, blow on them to get the heat out, and plug it back in. That fixed it for me.

so i tried turning it off and on again and turning it off for a while, but it didn't really help. so i did a test. 

in CMD i put in "ping google.co.uk -t" and i noticed a pattern of 5-9 successful pings of a good latency, followed by 4 times out. then another 5-9 successful followed but another 4 timing out.

when in game, i would be playing at a ping about about 24ms average not changing too much. but sometimes i wouldnt't be able to move more than a few steps at all it's like an invisible wall for a few seconds. but my ping was still about 24ms