Linus's cost overhead?

Big Head Tech
5 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Not that simple. Eyeballs are eyeballs.. and my "tech savvy" audience is (in some way) worth a LOT less than a more mainstream one.

A view on LTT is not worth more than a view on some other tech channel.

That's true. There is a definite difference in the incomes of tech tubers like me and you because we seek a niche market when you compare it to, say, PhilipDefranco or even Boogie2988 because we are not seeking what they are seeking in many ways.

I'll be honest here, most tech tuber are simply rip-offs of you.

I know that you probably get this a lot but i was wondering ..... If you could go back and do it over again, what if anything would you do differently? Do you have any words of advice for growing tech tubers like myself?

7 minutes ago, JayzTwoCents said:

People often forget that a view is a view.... the difference is how many views the outlet generates and the amount of time that those views are generated that dictate the rate ;)

I run a growing YouTube Channel, I have  133 subscribers and do videos 3x/week. How do I become a "Industry Affiliate"?

Just now, Aluavin said:

same here. I think thats their business strategy. make content you watch with a hangover and fall asleep.

there can't be a different reason they air at 2am CEST.

That'd be the coolest strategy if it were actually it.

TBH I've seen a significant bump in content quality lately (or at least that's the situation for me), specially since the i9 rant. LTT is one of a handfull of channels that isn't afraid to call out major players when they start spewing BS.

Clickbaity thumbnails and cringy intros aside, I enjoy the content, even if most of it isn't news to me (keep in mind that I've been messing around with tech for the better part of my life and, for the last few years, I've been working with everything from $3 earbuds to servers worth more than a small car, both as a hobbyist and at work). Tech Quickie is now part of new employee training as a recommended source of information!

Might sound like a fanboi, but LTT is a valuable consumer service

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This may be off topic, but I just have to say that I am incredibly excited about the future of LTT. You have obviously been highly successful in what you do, and have expanded your enterprise into something much bigger than what it used to be, and I can't see how that growth could stop now or anytime soon. What will be the future of LTT? I don't expect an answer to this question, but merely thinking about it makes me very hopeful and happy. I've been a viewer of your channel and a visitor to the forum since 2013 and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, like I do with all other forums. Thank you so much for your content and everything else you and your team have done!

5 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

This may be off topic, but I just have to say that I am incredibly excited about the future of LTT. You have obviously been highly successful in what you do, and have expanded your enterprise into something much bigger than what it used to be, and I can't see how that growth could stop now or anytime soon. What will be the future of LTT? I don't expect an answer to this question, but merely thinking about it makes me very hopeful and happy. I've been a viewer of your channel and a visitor to the forum since 2013 and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, like I do with all other forums. Thank you so much for your content and everything else you and your team have done!

I am sure they thank you for the concealing fate ep too buddy \,./

17 minutes ago, Trojanmantony said:

I am sure they thank you for the concealing fate ep too buddy \,./

Are you a fan of TesseracT?

Just now, -TesseracT- said:

Are you a fan of TesseracT?

yeah just assumed you were maybe a member of the band lol

1 minute ago, Trojanmantony said:

yeah just assumed you were maybe a member of the band lol

Only in my dreams lol

On 6/21/2017 at 2:44 AM, MegaBitTech said:

I run a growing YouTube Channel, I have  133 subscribers and do videos 3x/week. How do I become a "Industry Affiliate"?

Generally around 10,000 sub's is when your considered successful on YouTube and may actually want to start considering perusing it farther. 

10 hours ago, NinJake said:

So thoughtful of you, glad to hear there are people still looking out for others instead of themselves!

No, just no. (At least not in the same "style" that Joffrey did lol)

No, no...at least Robb Stark type!

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

People who don't run businesses often say this as though it's some kind of magical free pass to get stuff :P

You still have to earn the money.

The only difference is that you don't have to pay INCOME TAX on the money you earned that you spent on it.

Do you even need to own a BUSINESS to experience this?  I mean, I get it, most people seem to have an understanding of it about as deeply as this...

3aef37ef091cba004691f966f9693059.jpg

But even as a regular working stiff in the film industry, I got to 'write off' every dime I spent on my college education but I sure as heck didn't magically go to school for free.  Infact, I still owe about $3000.  So I don't think you have to own a business to see that a write off doesn't equal free, you can see it in every day income tax filings.  ...It's just that somehow, few seem to see it anyway. o.O 

Wow I never expected this much response from my post. My undergraduate degree is in accounting and yes a tax write-off is not very well understood. I'll try to explain it in very simple detail. You only pay taxes on your net income not gross income as a business. So if you make 1 million dollars in revenue but your expenses are 800k you pay taxes on the 200k. So sure, that server you paid 50k for is reducing your taxable income by 50k you're still paying 50k. So say if you're being taxed at 20%, that means at 200k you would pay 40k but at 250k you would have paid 50k. So technically you saved 10k due to the tax write off. But you still paid 40k for it.

And a side note for others, YouTube does not pay that much. I know that Linus probably makes 4-5 times per view than I do on my channel, but it's peanuts. Him, Jay, Kyle, Paul and Austin have to invest a ton of time in sponsorships and other revenue streams. I watch Kyle and Paul and they push their merch store a ton. Even though that does not make them a ton of profit, it's pushing half a dozen revenue streams at once is how they make it work.

Awhile this is speculation, if Linus makes $5 per $1000 which is very high, assuming no one ever uses adblock he would have generated 5 million on his channel since startup. That's before YouTubes cut, taxes and a crazy assumption. And if my understanding previously holds true, that wouldn't be enough for this year's expenditures.

Also @JayzTwoCents, I've started to really follow your channel recently. Definitely like your content quite a bit. I saw your video on why and how you quit your job and went full time. Quite interesting. I may get to that point some day but my videos are for fun and all about helping others. Plus I dont have a ton of direction yet due to working a ton myself. Wish I could upload more and do more product reviews.

6 hours ago, Aprime said:

Thanks for reminding me why I don't want a house

Owning a house isn't bad. I live in a pricey part of the states and I went with a townhouse. Unlike a condo I own the property but I pay $80/month to have the HOA take credit of that stuff.

6 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

That'd be the coolest strategy if it were actually it.

TBH I've seen a significant bump in content quality lately (or at least that's the situation for me), specially since the i9 rant. LTT is one of a handfull of channels that isn't afraid to call out major players when they start spewing BS.

Clickbaity thumbnails and cringy intros aside, I enjoy the content, even if most of it isn't news to me (keep in mind that I've been messing around with tech for the better part of my life and, for the last few years, I've been working with everything from $3 earbuds to servers worth more than a small car, both as a hobbyist and at work). Tech Quickie is now part of new employee training as a recommended source of information!

Might sound like a fanboi, but LTT is a valuable consumer service

I was one of the ones who didn't criticize him for the $1,000 build guide. OBVIOUSLY it was sponsored by a company so he had to use components from them. I run the PC Budget Solutions YouTube channel and while I'm all about value gaming, I'm not afraid to overspend on certain manufacturers because I simply like them. Now when o recommend builds to others I often won't do that because if an MSI GTX 1060 is $40 less than EVGA and neither have bad reviews, I'd recommend them MSI but personally I'd grab EVGA.

7 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Today I also:

- trimmed hedges

- reorganized shed

- bought new kitchen faucet at Home Depot

- played with kids

- replied to 60+ emails

- put seat covers back in car now that they've had the vomit cleaned off them

- cleaned up cat pee

- also I think I ate at some point...

Today I also:

- played Assassin's Creed

- not sure I ate anything or did anything else...

17 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We invest  heavily into our staff/business operations because I have a particular set of "end game" goals that MIGHT be different from other content creators.

Making great content that gets a ton of views doesn't take a huge team. Trying to build a sustainable business operation that (if all goes according to plan) could be capable of running seamlessly without yourself someday does.

There is a ton of merit to both approaches. Neither is "correct".

And to be clear, this is not an announcement or even a HINT that I'm going anywhere anytime soon. It's just the kind of thing where if I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow I would want my family to inherit a strong, sustainable business, and I would want all of my staff to still have jobs.

A business mentor of mine explained if you go on holiday or get sick and your business stops then you are just self employed. If your business can run without you (dedicated CFO, CEO, etc) then you are a proper capitalist proprietor. Many small businesses start to fail when the boss earns enough to buy his first boat or spends too much time on the golf course because they do not realise which category they fall under.

i actually saw a business die because the owner was spending too much time playing golf instead of chasing more work in the build up to the GFC. All his staff left him when his bread and butter contract ended because he was milking one customer that was prob 70% of his income

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, JayzTwoCents said:

People often forget that a view is a view.... the difference is how many views the outlet generates and the amount of time that those views are generated that dictate the rate ;)

Didn't knew you were on the forum 

17 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Making great content that gets a ton of views doesn't take a huge team. Trying to build a sustainable business operation that (if all goes according to plan) could be capable of running seamlessly without yourself someday does.

There is a ton of merit to both approaches. Neither is "correct".

And to be clear, this is not an announcement or even a HINT that I'm going anywhere anytime soon. It's just the kind of thing where if I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow I would want my family to inherit a strong, sustainable business, and I would want all of my staff to still have jobs.

There are multiple ways to assure continued care for you family.  As you said, one is not necessarily more correct than another.  I find it obvious from Floatplane that you have a different endgame than some of the other Techtubers.  The following is a conditional statement based on what little I know of the business models of Kyle, Paul, and Jay; if I was a Youtube personality, I would most likely be more like them with a small operation.  I have no desire to run an empire or be responsible for multiple people as the person where the buck stops.  I would be one that would look towards life insurance as a major option.

Linus has set up a company that obviously does things many of us enjoy, but can branch out into other things.  I wouldn't be surprised if his company is taking on projects other than what we see attributed to them through LTT.  It is pretty obvious that Linus is a savvy businessman who understands his business inside and out.  He hires the technical expertise needed to cover things he is not strong in.  He is a good example of growing a business.

It is also awesome that he is working to build something that can continue without him.  I have seen firsthand how not taking these sort of steps can be a nightmare if something happens to the key person.  A family friend's husband owned a very large plumbing company in the southeast US.  Unfortunately this man smoked cowboy killers at a rate of more than a pack a day for many years.  He went to sleep one night when he was in his late 40's and did not wake up.  His wife had always run the "business" side of things, but beyond that she did not have the knowledge necessary to continue.  Their son had recently come of age, and had been working with his father from a very young age.  Unfortunately he did not have the respect of the other men in the business.  The business failed very shortly after.  The insufficient pre-planning forced that family to sell many of their assets.  It was a bad situation.

Kudos to Linus for planning to keep the same thing from happening to his family.

5 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

But even as a regular working stiff in the film industry, I got to 'write off' every dime I spent on my college education but I sure as heck didn't magically go to school for free. 

This is actually very true. There are plenty of things that can be "written off" that don't require you to own a business, both in Canada and nearly everywhere around the world. Heck, you don't even need to be employed (self or otherwise).

They're also known as "Tax Breaks"

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

What did Linus drop though, thats what I want to know.

How many employee's does L-man have?

With wages and everything he needs to clear some fat cash.

Someone mentioned following Linus since 2013.

I think I've watched his video since that computer assembly video where he pointed out how important the static strap is. In the white room I think. I'll try to look it up

Edit: Well nvm, I can't find it. But everyone who has seen it knows it :P

I was bedazzled by all his earrings myself.

I wonder if L-man has a tattoo or 2.

• 11 months later...

I believe LTT has made in total, revenue of 90 Million.

Linus's tech channel makes around 2Million a year from youtube add revenue. Totalled is $10 Million

Assuming he makes 20k on each advertisement he does in a video on average - in comparison to the 30k mrbeast is paid. And allow for the fact that he only started doing the advertisements when he was getting allot of views on his youtube channel (past 3000). That calculates to $60 Million.

Finally the revenue made on Affiliate purchases is the only figure we can't really estimate. But i would assume it would be in the neighbourhood of 20 Million shown by how much they push "you can buy this with the link below". 

5 hours ago, Trillient said:

I believe LTT has made in total, revenue of 90 Million.

Linus's tech channel makes around 2Million a year from youtube add revenue. Totalled is $10 Million

Assuming he makes 20k on each advertisement he does in a video on average - in comparison to the 30k mrbeast is paid. And allow for the fact that he only started doing the advertisements when he was getting allot of views on his youtube channel (past 3000). That calculates to $60 Million.

Finally the revenue made on Affiliate purchases is the only figure we can't really estimate. But i would assume it would be in the neighbourhood of 20 Million shown by how much they push "you can buy this with the link below". 

I showed this to Colton. He laughed so hard. 

I laughed too. 

If I had $90M I'd be living on a beach somewhere. Lol.