Netflix interactive TV: Choose your own adventure books for the modern age

Netflix has officially begun streaming their version of the old 'Choose your adventure' books that you used to get as kids with what they are calling 'branching narrative' programming. First up on the programming schedule is a partnership with Dreamworks to create Puss in Books: Trapped in an Epic Tale and they have future content planned for down the road...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/20/netflix-interactive-shows/

After months of rumors and speculation, Netflix is officially taking the wraps off of its new interactive shows for kids. The company is calling its new type of programming "branching narratives," since viewers can control certain aspects of the story, including the ending. The first series, Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Tale, was created in partnership with DreamWorks Animation and features 13 different storyline choices and two endings. It will debut today on the streaming service, followed by another interactive show, Buddy Thunderstruck: The Maybe Pile, on July 14th. But that's not it: Netflix says a third one called Stretch Armstrong: The Breakout is already in the works and scheduled to arrive later in 2017.

"Being an internet-based company enables us to innovate new formats, deliver at scale to millions of members all over the world on multiple device types and, most importantly, learn from it," Carla Engelbrecht Fisher, Netflix's director of product innovation, said in a blog post. "The children's programming space was a natural place for us to start since kids are eager to 'play' with their favorite characters and already inclined to tap, touch and swipe at screens." It's worth nothing Netflix had been quietly testing this out, but it wasn't until now that it decided to roll it out to its users worldwide.

This could be looked at as a natural evolution of kids programming since kids shows tend to try and interact one-way right now, however, this should allow for some limited two way interaction.  Honestly though, I don't see this working quite so well with a current adult audience and adult programming outside of video games although that might change in another five to ten years depending on how well this performs.  So a question would be, does anyone on the forum think that they would like to see a branching narrative presented in their favorite TV Series?

18 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So its literally a video game

Other way around

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

20 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Honestly though, I don't see this working quite so well with a current adult audience and adult programming outside of video games although that might change in another five to ten years depending on how well this performs.  So a question would be, does anyone on the forum think that they would like to see a branching narrative presented in their favorite TV Series?

This wouldn't work for ALL content, there will never not be a place for just 'A story that's told to you' but a submarket for interactive stories could exist even for an adult audience.  I can easily imagine viewers 'plotline bingeing' as they try to play ever possible storyline, much like how players of The Stanley Parable would try to do every plotline and blog about it and build FAQs telling you how to find the obscure story paths.

Just thinking about Telltale games coming soon to Netflix. Would probably be the only way for me to try those games if it was included in the normal Netflix subscription.

I watch netflix when I want to be a lazy piece of shit, I cant handle this extra work!

It's like Dragon's Liar all over again

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I hated those choose your own adventure books. Having to flip back and forth constantly ... so stupid. I had one story that had me read the same page 3 different times, I put it down and never finished it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

remembers my days playing corruption of champions, boy did i have fun with that game back then ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>