OnePlus 5 Review

F&!@ OnePlus for dropping OP2 OS updates less than a year after selling me a brand new OP2

I was legitimately planning on going to the launch event in NYC tonight...why drop the video before the reveal by the company itself?

That's the French spelling of his last name.

chrome_2016-12-06_22-00-51.png

I agree that they've made it too expensive now.

For me, it seems like you are losing a lot by not spending 30% more to get all the features you can get with an S8.

Personal conclusion: For 559€, im not sure it can be called a mid-ranger anymore... :/.

Wheres the IP-67 in the very least :(, everything else is absolutely killer.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, Implosion said:

I was legitimately planning on going to the launch event in NYC tonight...why drop the video before the reveal by the company itself?

Bias. Of course the company is going to say it's the best of the best.

2 hours ago, Fiat-Libertas said:

I agree that they've made it too expensive now.

For me, it seems like you are losing a lot by not spending 30% more to get all the features you can get with an S8.

I'm considering this phone, but what are these other features you speak of on the S8? how far behind is this phone compared to that?

They said that the mezzanine video was floatplane exclusive in the video - but before they've always said on the WAN show that everything will be on YouTube at some point. So is it exclusive for ever or just now?

Once again @LinusTech failed to include call quality on both earpiece and loudspeaker on this review just like his past smartphone reviews. It's a phone and I'm pretty sure people want to know if it can hold on to a signal well and if phone calls won't sound like it's coming from a stroke survivor. Speaking of speakers, Linus also didn't include speaker performance on music/video playback. Who cares about the fancy new SoC or new UX features if a phone is awful at phone calls? Another disappointing thing that Linus didn't include is the talk about "endurance"; something as critical as battery life shouldn't be left out in a review. How much screen on time can it do in a day or how much battery is being drained when I'm watching a single episode of Stranger Things on Netflix at 50% brightness with volume at 50% and wifi enabled?

A bit disappointing that someone pro like Linus would be so detailed in his PC reviews but not with his smartphone reviews. I mean, smartphones are computers too right? I'm pretty sure majority of his audience wouldn't mind a slightly longer video as long as it covers the essentials of a phone like call quality or battery life.

:(

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'm more concerned that the phone doesn't have a sensual vibrating function, nail clipper. meat slicer etc. deal breaker for me.

/s

7 hours ago, Pattycake said:

F&!@ OnePlus for dropping OP2 OS updates less than a year after selling me a brand new OP2

You still have the option of utilizing the unlocked bootloader and hitting up XDA-Devs for some sweet, sweet custom ROMs... And probably for quite a few years to come. Devices with decent followings continue to receive ROM updates for years and years. My 16GB HP TouchPad is running Android 7.0 and it's going on 7 years old now.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

40 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You still have the option of utilizing the unlocked bootloader and hitting up XDA-Devs for some sweet, sweet custom ROMs... And probably for quite a few years to come. Devices with decent followings continue to receive ROM updates for years and years. My 16GB HP TouchPad is running Android 7.0 and it's going on 7 years old now.

I am fully aware of this, but I wanted something that was promised by OnePlus themselves. 

$649 CAD for the 6GB model is a "budget" phone now....smh

I think they spent most of the resources on the dual camera as the hardware design is straight up burrowed from their sister company's Oppo R11.

Oneplus 5 = 6

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My old Iphone 4 is fine

when it goes I will use my iphone 5

when that goes I will buy an old Samsung S4 which would be in 5-8 years time, by then they should be $20 on ebay.

Cell phone are too expensive now at $5-$10 extra per month on a 2 year contract thats $250-$350 total. Plus the $100 or $200 in cash at sign up.

Looks nice with some nice specs in the OnePlus 5 phone.  Too bad that they did not include a removable battery nor an SD card slot so I think I will stick to my LG v20...