What type of HDMI I have?

peibolrz

I have an HDMI and I wonder what type is it, 1.4, 2.0 or 2.1.

How can I physically know? Can I see it with the pc?

Thanks

Is it the HDMI port on the mobo or your GPU?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

You'd need to check the specs on your GPU or motherboard. There is no physical difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 (not sure on 2.1, but I believe it is still the same. It won't be 2.1 though). The revisions are controller upgrades that improve the signalling efficiency, so there's no physical signs really. 

What GPU/motherboard do you have?

I have a 1070 armor oc and a b350 plus 

Just now, peibolrz said:

I have a 1070 armor oc and a b350 plus 

Your GPU has HDMI 2.0 and the motherboard is HDMI 1.4b

3 minutes ago, peibolrz said:

how do you know?

Well, I knew the 1070 has HDMI 2.0, but it's in the specifications for the GPU and the motherboard. 

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-ARMOR-8G-OC.html#hero-specification

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/

so if i tried to connected a hdmi 2.1 to my gpu i could not supported? i don´t think so

so if i tried to connected a hdmi 2.1 to my gpu i could not supported? i don´t think so

HDMI 2.1 isn't available to consumers yet. It will be backwards compatible, so HDMI 2.0 (and 1.4) will work with HDMI 2.1 devices, but only features of the lowest version would be available. So if you got a monitor with HDMI 2.1, your GPU would work up to HDMI 2.0 specifications and your motherboard would be able to do HDMI 1.4 specification. 

In order to get full HDMI 2.1 support, you'd need a new GPU as the HDMI version cannot be upgraded on its own. For some of the high bandwidth specs such as 8K@60 and 4K@120 supported by HDMI 2.1, you'd need a new 48G cable. The cable will be backwards compatible as well, as the actual connector is still the same. 

HDMI.org have a good FAQ on HDMI 2.1 if you're interested http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

@Oshino Shinobu thanks a lot appreciate it :D, but if I have for example in one hand a hdmi 1.4 cable and in the other a hdmi 2.0 how I notice the physical difference? is there any difference?

Resultado de imagen de hdmi 1.4 vs 2.0 vs 2.1

for example this photo i search in google images, i don´t see any diffrence, so how can i know?

6 minutes ago, peibolrz said:

for example this photo i search in google images, i don´t see any diffrence, so how can i know?

HDMI version does not apply to cables. It only applies to the end devices. You can use an HDMI 1.0 cable to carry an HDMI 2.0 signal, provided the 1.0 cable was built well enough.

The only thing a version tacked on a cable means is it's been certified to meet that version's standard. Nothing more.

HDMI 2.0 cables and 1.4 cables are exactly the same.

There'sa "HDMI Premium High Speed Cable" certification that holds the cables to a higher quality to ensure that the cable will perform optimally for HDMI 2.0, but in most cases where you're doing a short run and there's not a ton of electrical noise an "HDMI High Speed" cable ('HDMI 1.4' cable) will work for HDMI 2.0

HDMI 2.1 requires completely different cables, but they should be clearly labelled. HDMI 2.1 cables will work with HDMI 2.0 and lower, but to get HDMI 2.1 speeds you *will* need specialized cables.

There's 3 different speeds of HDMI cables. Standard speed that only really work with HDMI 1.0, High Speed which works with any version up to 2.0 (the vast vast vast majority of cables you find are high speed), and Superspeed/2.1 which work with any version up to 2.1

1 hour ago, peibolrz said:

There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 cable. There are Category 1 and Category 2 (hi speed) cables. Category 1 cables can only go up to 1080i. They're very uncommon now days. Category 2 cables can do all current HDMI revisions, including HDMI 2.0. They will also work with HDMI 2.1, but some of the high bandwidth features of HDMI 2.1 will need a new 48G cable.