New CPU Cooler needed perhaps, recommendations?

Xiauj
Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

You bought a stock cooler??? lol /s

It was free actually :D

But to be fair, I was about 30-40 GBP short so I mean, I wouldn't have had enough budget anyways

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

How do I tell what my current dB noise level is and what the fan speed is?

In this upgrade/transfer, I plugged the fans into a controller on a case which plugs into the PSU

For fan speed, my motherboard came with fan control software (compliments of Asus - AISuite). If your motherboard doesn't come with any fan control software, you can ask on the forums and someone should be able to hook you up. 

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:
1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

.....is it possible to change fans on a CPU-Cooler? Because some of Noctua's brown fans look cool but odd, aesthetically.

Yes, you can. The M9a uses a 92mm fan, so you can replace it with a Noctua fan

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

For fan speed, my motherboard came with fan control software (compliments of Asus - AISuite). If your motherboard doesn't come with any fan control software, you can ask on the forums and someone should be able to hook you up. 

Aaah I see, that would work even though the fans are plugged into the PSU?

Interesting o.O

If you're looking in the 212 evo price range you could take a look at the be quiet! shadow rock. At least here in the us it's about the same price as the 212 evo and it's consistently better.

You don't get the all black you get with better be quiet coolers though. The fan is still black but the heatsink is not.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

How do I tell what my current dB noise level is and what the fan speed is?

In this upgrade/transfer, I plugged the fans into a controller on a case which plugs into the PSU

You could buy a decibel ready thing if you wanted to.

AFAIK no way without using a laser tachometer or something. Usually your mobo detects the fan speed off one of the pins (that's why there are 4 pins, 12v, ground, PWM, and detecty thing), but if you're using a voltage fan controller then you can't really do that :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Aaah I see, that would work even though the fans are plugged into the PSU?

Interesting o.O

If the fans are plugged into the PSU, you'd need some kind of hardware fan controller. 

My fans are plugged into my motherboard and that's how I control them. 

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

If you're looking in the 212 evo price range you could take a look at the be quiet! shadow rock. At least here in the us it's about the same price as the 212 evo and it's consistently better.

Yeah but Be Quiet!'s mounting mechanisms and tools kind of suck though, not sure if they changed it recently 

Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

Yeah but Be Quiet!'s mounting mechanisms and tools kind of suck though, not sure if they changed it recently 

Yeah ik, I installed one of their CPU coolers a few week back and it wasn't horrible actually, though some parts were a bit unnecessarily annoying :P 

Why can't they just have something like noctua... :( 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, you can. The M9a uses a 92mm fan..

Wait a second.. 92mm fan?? Really? o.O I never knew about that. Interesting.

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

so you can replace it with a Noctua fan

What size fan would I need and what's a good, very quiet one?

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

be quiet! shadow rock.

Which one? PCPP shows "Shadow Rock 2" and "Shadow Rock Pro SR1".

I assume you meant the SR 2 one DocSwag but I dunno :P

Which is the more quieter would you say personally? M9A or the one you mentioned?

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You could buy a decibel ready thing if you wanted to.

AFAIK no way without using a laser tachometer or something. Usually your mobo detects the fan speed off one of the pins (that's why there are 4 pins, 12v, ground, PWM, and detecty thing), but if you're using a voltage fan controller then you can't really do that :/ 

Oh ok that's understandable ^_^ No worries!

Yep :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep :D

Wow. Very interesting lol xD

Learn something new every day!

What would be a good quiet fan choice otherwise IF I were to change it out for another?

I'm thinking Fractal Design, beQuiet! or Noctua

What would be a good quiet fan choice otherwise IF I were to change it out for another?

I'm thinking Fractal Design, beQuiet! or Noctua

Idk, I think Noctua would be the best option...

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk, I think Noctua would be the best option...

Alright cool, I'll have a look and see if I can find any of their fans. Idk if they do 92mm ones. Hopefully they do(?).

I assume I'll need a 92mm replacement one

Alright cool, I'll have a look and see if I can find any of their fans. Idk if they do 92mm ones. Hopefully they do(?).

I assume I'll need a 92mm replacement one

Get the cooler first and only if you find it too loud, replace the fan. The M9a is not very loud TBH :D

First site I go to is Amazon UK... they don't sell it.

Second site... Overclockers UK... out of stock.

"CCL", third site.. don't have a account -_-

GAH.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@PCGuy_5960 @DocSwag @NCIX Lampy,

Um, got a tiny problem :|.

Can't find it in stock anywhere, seems to be sold on most sites.

Any others that are nice looking, very quiet and similar to the M9A ..?

I dunno if @MEC-777's cooler suggestion is good as I've never really looked into Deepcool's products before, are they as quiet?

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

I dunno if @MEC-777's cooler suggestion is good as I've never really looked into Deepcool's products before, are they as quiet?

Honestly I would just go with a 212 Evo because of how well known they are and the amount of positive reviews they have. If you're still looking for other options, I would suggest keep searching then. 

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

The Cryorig H7?

9 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Out-performs the competition and yes they are quiet. I've used those fans it comes with before. 

Check out Tomshardware review. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html

Everyone recommends the 212 Evo, but it is not the best in it's class anymore. 

Here's another review. Out-performs the H60 AIO in OC testing. ;) 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/deep_cool_gamma_xx_400/4.htm

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Out-performs the competition and yes they are quiet. I've used those fans it comes with before. 

Check out Tomshardware review. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html

Everyone recommends the 212 Evo, but it is not the best in it's class anymore. 

Here's another review. Out-performs the H60 AIO in OC testing. ;) 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/deep_cool_gamma_xx_400/4.htm

It is a louder though.

At the same time though once you factor in the fact that you're comparing to $40-$50 CPU coolers I think you're right, it's a pretty good deal...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

What size fan would I need and what's a good, very quiet one?

Which one? PCPP shows "Shadow Rock 2" and "Shadow Rock Pro SR1".

I assume you meant the SR 2 one DocSwag but I dunno :P

Which is the more quieter would you say personally? M9A or the one you mentioned?

Oh ok that's understandable ^_^ No worries!

Honestly idk since I never have compared the two xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It is a louder though.

At the same time though once you factor in the fact that you're comparing to $40-$50 CPU coolers I think you're right, it's a pretty good deal...

$10 more and Noctua NH-U14S is reachable

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

$10 more and Noctua NH-U14S is reachable

That is a 33% price jump though, for much less than a 33% perf gain.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That is a 33% price jump though, for much less than a 33% perf gain.

Think about the noise

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol