Laptop Opinions, help me!

Hello guys. I am looking for a laptop that can do all of the work that i demand from it. I am a photographer and a videographer. Also in a few months i will study engineering and i need a laptop that can do photo editing, video rendering and run CAD programs.

Now i asked this quiestion a while back and got some answers and this is the laptop that i consider buying: HP Pavilion 17 Gaming 17-ab200nu, 1GM89EA, 17.3", Intel Core i7 Quad-Core

What do you think? :):P 

I wouldn't want to take this monstrous laptop to university

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

6 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I wouldn't want to take this monstrous laptop to university

I understand but i need the power to do my work, cuz somehow i need to pay the bills and if i havea  weak machine i will not be bale to work...

1 minute ago, LittleSleep said:

I understand but i need the power to do my work, cuz somehow i need to pay the bills and if i havea  weak machine i will not be bale to work...

what does it cost you?

I personally wouldn't go with hp nor 17 inch

My personal opinion would be a Dell Inspiron with sth like the 7700HQ TBH.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

16 hours ago, LittleSleep said:

What do you think? :):P 

Wats the price on that thing?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

8 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

About $1200 USD (depending on the config)

https://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-i7-6700HQ-17-3-Inch-Notebook-Portable/dp/B01H40L8PE?th=1

7700HQ (despite the link being wrong)

16gb ram

GTX1050

128 + 1TB

not something i would pay for

OP What's your budget? there's certainly better stuff around this price point

Well my budget is around 1000usd which is around 2000BGN (lev). Well i have asked around since and most people say: HP, Dell, Toshiba. I dont like Asus, Acer, Lenovo. I think that we are over thinking what i am asking... like does it matter how much is costs when it gets the job done? Here is Bulgaria we have a saying: Economy is the mother of Misery.

23 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

what does it cost you?

I personally wouldn't go with hp nor 17 inch

My personal opinion would be a Dell Inspiron with sth like the 7700HQ TBH.

What's wrong with 17inch? Also the Dell Inspirion with the kinda same specs is that much more expensive... like i know you guys show me stuff on Amazon but in the end i will buy it from a PC shop from Bulgaria! :)

Hey, I'm also a video editor. My short answer is, of those choices, go Dell. My dad's video production company uses Dell and he won't stop singing their praises. It's really annoying. Also give Obsidian-PC a look. They're based in Portugal, and although I know next to nothing about Bulgaria, they might be cheaper for you. After my experiences with HP and MSI, I'm only looking at re-sellers now (HIDevolution, Obsidian, LPC Digital, etc.).

The most important things for video editing are your i7 quad core (since nobody makes laptops with 6 or 8), at least 16 gigs of ram (32 if you can afford it), and a half-decent video card (1050/1050ti will get the job done; 1070 or 1080 recommended because of the vram). Thunderbolt 3 is also a great perk, but its absence isn't a deal-breaker.

I owned an HP Envy laptop back in 2012, and I hated it. It didn't even last 2 years before the motherboard exploded. I'm not editorializing. A diode on the motherboard exploded, and it never worked again. Also the Blu-Ray player never worked, even after I sent it out to get fixed. I now own an MSI Dominator model, and I hate it too. If it worked like it's supposed to then it'd be great, but it gets production-stopping problems at the worst times. I had the keyboard stop working not even 6 months in, one of the SSDs fails every now and then and won't boot, and now the battery won't charge. Also, I have to pay for shipping (my way) when getting warranty work done. The price tag and components are premium, but the quality control and customer service feels budget-class.

Taking the 17" to class is kind of a pain. At first I figured, "It's not a big deal, I can handle a heavy backpack," and yeah I was right about that part. But I didn't think about the desk space that it takes up, meaning all of it, and sometimes more.

Edited by Bootskii
grammatical micro-disaster; clarity

@Bootskii I see your point... I will search a little bit more, but in other words fVck all laptops and build a freaking PC... but being a student it will be hard for transportation :D:D

From personal experience I found HP gaming notebooks to have poor build quality, bad thermals, an awful screen, and just an overall cheap feeling.  Sure, they're a great value, but I wouldn't ever use one.

I'd get a Dell Inspiron 7000 series as someone else suggested, or if left with no other option, get the HP.  I advise against it as to the reasons I stated above but they are a really good value, I must admit.

@lilbman i see your point but HP Pavilion 17 is the only LapTop that meets all standarts. I mean yeah it is cheaper but has more stuff comapred to other Dell, Toshiba rivals. And TBH i have used the same Toshiba Satellite Pentium laptop since 2011... literally anything would be better than what i have now...

8 hours ago, LittleSleep said:

@lilbman i see your point but HP Pavilion 17 is the only LapTop that meets all standarts. I mean yeah it is cheaper but has more stuff comapred to other Dell, Toshiba rivals. And TBH i have used the same Toshiba Satellite Pentium laptop since 2011... literally anything would be better than what i have now...

If you feel that this laptop will suit your needs the best for the price, then go for it.  

• 1 month later...

I'd go with dell

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

11 hours ago, LittleSleep said:

Guys, what do you think of the HP OMEN or the Dell Inspirion 7567 is better? HP is more expensive but has more stuff (kinda) but Dell is cheaper and has as much stuff, like... i dont know... *cries for help*

@lilbman @Sierra Fox @Bootskii @Pendragon @19_blackie_73

Inspiron 7567 is better overall.  It is much better overall and I've had good experiences with the 7559.  I have used the HP Omen 15" with the 960M and it is horrid. 

Going purely off of past experiences, I would get the Inspiron over the OMEN in a heartbeat.