iFixIt Gives Surface Laptop Lowest-Possible Score (0 of 10)

TheReal1980
On 21.06.2017 at 3:12 PM, GoodBytes said:

Ignoring performance required for a moment, Thunderbolt 3 will not help you. You need a GPU that is compatible with it. If your intel integrated graphics is limited to 800x600 at 30Hz with 16 colors, you can have fiber optics connection, it won't get you a higher resolution or refresh-rate or more colors.

???

Ofc Thundebolt 3 will help.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core

@Edit.

Even old GPU's like HD 6000 series can support up to 2560x1600 at 60Hz. Intel dGPU since Nehalem? Sandy? Can support QHD easly :/

22 minutes ago, Huang420BlazeIt said:

???

Ofc Thundebolt 3 will help.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88190/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-core

@Edit.

Even old GPU's like HD 6000 series can support up to 2560x1600 at 60Hz. Intel dGPU since Nehalem? Sandy? Can support QHD easly :/

No. It wont' help... you are now getting an external GPU to do the work instead of the Intel integrated graphics. The Intel GPU inside is not limited by DisplayPort. The monitor you want to plug is on DisplayPort.

If the Intel GPU supports your monitor resolution, it will work via the DisplayPort. If it doesn't work, check your cable, monitor or you have a driver issue.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You don't have to look far for a better deal: Dell XPS 13.

To add another one: Apple laptops. And I think it's worth mentioning since what you say makes sense if Microsoft is trying to encourage OEMs to take the fight to apple more directly.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No. It wont' help... you are now getting an external GPU to do the work instead of the Intel integrated graphics. The Intel GPU inside is not limited by DisplayPort. The monitor you want to plug is on DisplayPort.

If the Intel GPU supports your monitor resolution, it will work via the DisplayPort. If it doesn't work, check your cable, monitor or you have a driver issue.

o.O

Im confused now. I said before that it would be nice to have Thunderbolt 3 because I could use external GPU and connect it with a device via Thunderbolt 3. But I can't. SP does not have thunderbolt and the new one does not have it either which is bad in my opinion. 

I can only use dGPU. I don't have driver issues o.O

43 minutes ago, Huang420BlazeIt said:

o.O

Im confused now. I said before that it would be nice to have Thunderbolt 3 because I could use external GPU and connect it with a device via Thunderbolt 3. But I can't. SP does not have thunderbolt and the new one does not have it either which is bad in my opinion. 

I can only use dGPU. I don't have driver issues o.O

Now I am confused. I though we were talking about resolutions not being able to be achieved due to DisplayPort.

As for SP:

I would wait for the Surface Pro 5 (MS said that they didn't call it Surface Pro 5 because there is not enough innovation to justify the new name). I think the Surface team was mostly busy with XBox One X (they made the XBox One S as well, that is why the XBox doesn't have the traditional look of being big bulky, and looking at the inside, it looks like a mess where parts where just thrown in), and the Surface Laptop.

I expect the Surface Pro 5 to have:

• USB Type-A + USB Type-C
  • Thunderbolt (3 or 4 if it comes out in time)
  • OLED display, or HDR enabled IPS panel with several color space modes like Adobe RGB color calib.

BUT, keep in mind that the SP Core i5 is fanless, and I expect that once Intel releases less heat producing CPUs that even the i7 will be fanless. So, throttling under extended load will be an issue regardless. Unless they decide to keep the i7 with a fan regardless, but of course, look at the price of the i7 model.. not cheap. So you need to get: i7 model + Keyb + Pen + external GPU enclosure + GPU.

I hope you are feeding well that money tree.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Now I am confused. I though we were talking about resolutions not being able to be achieved due to DisplayPort.

As for SP:

I would wait for the Surface Pro 5 (MS said that they didn't call it Surface Pro 5 because there is not enough innovation to justify the new name). I think the Surface team was mostly busy with XBox One X (they made the XBox One S as well, that is why the XBox doesn't have the traditional look of being big bulky, and looking at the inside, it looks like a mess where parts where just thrown in), and the Surface Laptop.

I expect the Surface Pro 5 to have:

• USB Type-A + USB Type-C
  • Thunderbolt (3 or 4 if it comes out in time)
  • OLED display, or HDR enabled monitor with several color mode

BUT, keep in mind that the SP Core i5 is fanless, and I expect that once Intel releases less heat producing CPUs that even the i7 will be fanless. So, throttling under extended load will be an issue regardless. Unless they decide to keep the i7 with a fan regardless, but of course, look at the price of the i7 model.. not cheap. So you need to get: i7 model + Keyb + Pen + external GPU enclosure + GPU.

I hope you are feeding well that money tree.

I think we did not understand each other :D

Im disappointed with the new surface. Same IO, kaby like is like non upgrade over skylake. They don't even include a pen :/

I guess next time I will buy Dell XPS. 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:16 AM, Jito463 said:

Obviously I'm not the target audience, that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion on it.

It doesn't mean you can't give your opinion on it but it does mean your opinion doesn't do much to inform on what Microsoft's goals are. Of course you're not going to like a product if you're not in the intended audience, they're not trying to get you to like or buy it.

Is the fact that you can't upgrade or repair the thing bs--yeah--but the people Microsoft are targeting at buying these things wouldn't want to do that anyway. Videos like this are good and it's a great thing for iFixit to get out there so people can make informed decisions when buying but at the end of the day the importance of repariability will be proven out in the sales of the product. If people find it that important, they won't buy it and it won't do well. If they don't care it will do just fine and we will continue to get mainstream products that can't be easily serviced. 

On 6/23/2017 at 1:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

OLED display, or HDR enabled IPS panel with several color space modes like Adobe RGB color calib.

No OLED displays for laptops please. Just imagine the oversaturation of colors, the yellow hue that forms in whites after prolonged use and shorter lifespan than IPS LCD. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, You Scrub....The Floor said:

This is a designer laptop. User experience comes first not the ability to peak inside.

I completely disagree that user experience comes first. If it did then they would not ship it with the piece of shit that is Windows 10S.

If it did then they would not have made the specs so low, to the point where it won't be a good user experience other than for very, very lightweight use.

Edit: I agree that it is a "designer" laptop in the sense that it looks nice. I just think user experience was quite far down their list of priorities.