beginner - xcode(swift)?

ben dover kid

So im interested and i have spare time to learn programming, but im not sure where to start. i thought that since i have a macbook, i could easily use xcode. then i came across swift. im not sure what kind of programs id like to make, so im all open for suggestions(meaning iphone apps, "actual" programs, and whatever). also im not sure what language to pick... there are too many!

If you are new to programming (specially object oriented), I would recommend you first start with console apps to learn the fundamentals. then you can move on and develop for iOS or OSX. Walk before you run!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

3 hours ago, dany_boy said:

If you are new to programming (specially object oriented), I would recommend you first start with console apps to learn the fundamentals. then you can move on and develop for iOS or OSX. Walk before you run!

i prefer climbing up a tree ass first. ill go for binary coding(idk if its even possible but ill do it anyways)

25 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

i prefer climbing up a tree ass first. ill go for binary coding(idk if its even possible but ill do it anyways)

It's called Machine Code, I took a look at it once, probably wouldn't recommend it as a first language, if you want to do something like that you could probably do x86/x86-64 (or maybe even 8080) assembly xD Assembly isn't actually that bad once you get your head around that it's just moving data around the C.P.U.

However I would recommend that you start with a higher level language. Do some Googling around and find a programming language that looks good to you. If you want to start with Swift then Google "Swift Tutorials". But ultimately it's important to understand that the fundamental ideas of programming are the same dispite what language you learn, and the concepts you learn in one language can be transferred to other languages. Good luck :D

2 hours ago, edward30 said:

There is no point working with machine language. Assembly is one to one with the equivalent machine language... every line translates directly.

Most C.P.U.s now use the x86 or x86-64 architecture, and x86-64 is backwards-compatible with x86, so there is a point to learning assembly at least, it gives you a good idea of what is going on in the C.P.U., an assembler translates every line of assembly code into the C.P.U.s machine language, so assembly itself can still be somewhat useful for extremely small applications (nobody would use it for anything big anymore).

And you can use assembly language to do cool stuff for older C.P.U.s, I have a friend who learnt 6502 assembly for fun (so he can create his own homebrew NES games). The main point of learning assembly language is usually to gain a better knowledge of how the C.P.U. works. However for a first language I wouldn't recommend assembly.

18 minutes ago, edward30 said:

I didn't say don't learn assembly. I said don't bother trying to program machine language directly.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. I really wouldn't recommend programming in machine language directly, but there's no harm in having (even just a basic) understanding of it, sometimes when you're debugging stuff it's useful and interesting to open the executable in a hex editor and just have a look at what's going on under the hood (even if you don't completely understand it). :D