27" at 1080p a bad idea?

Hello,

I hope everyone is having a great day. 
I would like to ask for a little help.

i've been looking for a primarily gaming monitor, specifically at the AOC G2770PF 27 inch 1080p 144hz monitor. (which also happens to be on sale) 
Now, by reviews and comparisons of its tested performance its an excellent bang for the buck.

i will mostly use it for gaming, some graphic and image editing work too (but nothing that really requires accurate color representation) and the occasional movie.

my current monitor is a 10 year old TN LCD 1680X1050 panel that basically at the point where a toaster would be an upgrade.

I play a a wide selection of games, and also play competitive fps titles,
currently mostly playing overwatch,
Freesync is fine as i plan to upgrade my current R9 380X (yes it can run 144hz, it has a very heavy OC) to an RX vega when that is out (probably the middle, GTX 1080 equivalent or 1080ti)  so i might be ok for a 1440p display as well..
i can go low setting till i get the new GPU.

Thing is i've been told that 27" inch is too big for 1080P and that i would regret the purchase,

there is also a 24" version of this exact monitor but,
points i am considering:
- i plan on mounting it to the wall so it would be a little farther away from me then usual.  how much of an effect would the increased distance have? 
- the difference in price between the 24" model and the 27" is not that much (280$ VS 340$, local online prices, quite limited selection) 

Does anyone reading this have any input on the matter? is the resolution really that bad? or is it fine to use? 

sadly i can't see for myself as none of the local stores sell anything of the sort, so only online ordering within the country( import fees are heavy) 

other monitors i have been looking at: 
the LG 24GM79G-B - 25$ more then the AOC 24 inch (305$)
- AOC AG272FCX  27 inch VA 1080p panel 144hz freesync (380$) - i don't care much for it being curved tough

-AOC  AG241QX 24 inch TN 1440p 144hz  freesync (420$)
any other 144hz 1440p monitor i found is well over 500$ so its a no go cause it exceeds my monthly credit max.

so 24" at 1080p, 27" at 1080p or 24" at 1440p.
If anyone has any experience with any of these or any useful info i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

24 inch 1080p or 1440p 27". i have a 1080p 27" display at work and it's OK, but I use it for spreadsheets and 27" is about the limit you can stretch 1080p to.  

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, xenonn said:

- i plan on mounting it to the wall so it would be a little farther away from me then usual.  how much of an effect would the increased distance have? 

the display gets "smaller" as it gets further away, thats why 40" 1080p TVs arent blockfest when you're watching them from the couch, but you wouldnt want to have 40" 1080p right in front of your face on your desk. i prefer to talk about this in a sense of "pixels per field of view" rather than display size, resolution, and distance.

essentially, to get the same experience on a display that's bigger, you put it further away (or the same experience on a display that's further away -> you make it bigger)

my media center has a 38" 1080p TV strapped to it, and for being at the foot end of my bed, that's somewhat an ideal size in terms of readability without having to do some crazy font scaling and the like. i've had the same TV on my desk, and BOY was that blockfest. i dont mind blockfest much, but that panel was painful to watch..

I have a 1080p 34" LG TV as a monitor on my desk and it's fine.

The only gripe is the limited amount of stuff that fits on screen with 100% scaling.

But that's a 1080p thing and has nothing to do with monitor size.

I've had 1080p 27inch monitor for almost 10 years now and it's been good. I'm now starting to desire a finer resolution and considering a new monitor.

I guess it depends on your taste. Maybe go into a shop and demo some?

On 6/19/2017 at 7:11 PM, xenonn said:

Hello,

i've been looking for a primarily gaming monitor, specifically at the AOC G2770PF 27 inch 1080p 144hz monitor. (which also happens to be on sale) 
Now, by reviews and comparisons of its tested performance its an excellent bang for the buck.

i will mostly use it for gaming, some graphic and image editing work too (but nothing that really requires accurate color representation) and the occasional movie.

my current monitor is a 10 year old TN LCD 1680X1050 panel that basically at the point where a toaster would be an upgrade.

Freesync is fine as i plan to upgrade my current R9 380X (yes it can run 144hz, it has a very heavy OC) to an RX vega when that is out (probably the middle, GTX 1080 equivalent or 1080ti)  so i might be ok for a 1440p display as well..

Thing is i've been told that 27" inch is too big for 1080P and that i would regret the purchase,

points i am considering:
- the difference in price between the 24" model and the 27" is not that much (280$ VS 340$, local online prices, quite limited selection) 

Does anyone reading this have any input on the matter? is the resolution really that bad? or is it fine to use? 

sadly i can't see for myself as none of the local stores sell anything of the sort, so only online ordering within the country( import fees are heavy) 

- AOC AG272FCX  27 inch VA 1080p panel 144hz freesync (380$) - i don't care much for it being curved tough

any other 144hz 1440p monitor i found is well over 500$ so its a no go cause it exceeds my monthly credit max.

If anyone has any experience with any of these or any useful info i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

I reckon a lot of people on here will say that 1080p at 27" is about the limit as far as screen size vs resolution, but I have in the past used a 40" 1080p TV as a monitor, and whilst it wasn't perfect, it did the job no problem. And as soon as you watched video or played games, it was even better because the picture quality was better than your average monitor can achieve, and the screen was so big it immersed you to a much greater degree. Now, granted, I have a sofa setup for controlling my main PC, so I don't sit right in front of my display at a desk, so YMMV, but I still sit pretty close and honestly, it's fine. And, if you have the choice between a TN and a VA, go for the VA. Yes the response time is slightly slower, but the contrast levels are amazing and the viewing angles don't suck like TN either.

I currently own a curved 1080p 31.5" VA 144Hz panel with Freesync (BenQ EX3200R), and it's pretty awesome actually. I even like the curve,as it again helps with immersion, especially as you're gonna sit right in front of it.

Given the length of your potential upgrade cycle, I'd recommend you go for as high-resolution of a monitor as you can spring for. If it were just for casual gaming I might not say that, but you mentioned image editing. That task is where the ability to get a good sense for shape and detail will be adversely affected by a larger panel with low resolution.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:11 AM, xenonn said:

Hello,

points i am considering:

thank you.

Yet I have a 1080p projector at 100". Though it looks like 4K when your sitting a few meters away.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

On 6/19/2017 at 11:41 PM, xenonn said:

as u are mounting it on wall, i am assuming u r going to sit a few distance away(>2.5 Ft) so u should get a bigger size unless u want to squint your eyes.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:41 PM, xenonn said:

ur old monitor is 10yrs old and i am guessing u would  want your new monitor to last for at least 4-5 years. In that case go for a resolution higher than 1080p. coz by end of 2018, 1440p will most likely be the new defacto standard.

In view of this I would recommend u look for something like a 29" 1440p & 120hz.