Should I go for Ryzen?

I currently have the 6600K overclocked to 4.5Ghz paired with a G1 Gaming GTX 1070. I'm fairly happy with this setup but I'm starting to see dips and hiccups in some games, even older games like Far Cry 3. But mostly in game such as GTA and sometimes in The Witcher 3. I'm also thinking about getting a 1440p monitor, wouldn't a 1700x do well there paired with the 1070. Or am I just as good with the i5 at those clockspeeds, I know the speeds for Ryzen are slower.

I don't think a Ryzen CPU will help you in pure gaming performance, unless you're streaming or doing other stuff in the background. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

I currently have the 6600K overclocked to 4.5Ghz paired with a G1 Gaming GTX 1070. I'm fairly happy with this setup but I'm starting to see dips and hiccups in some games, even older games like Far Cry 3. But mostly in game such as GTA and sometimes in The Witcher 3. I'm also thinking about getting a 1440p monitor, wouldn't a 1700x do well there paired with the 1070. Or am I just as good with the i5 at those clockspeeds, I know the speeds for Ryzen are slower.

you may have latant driver files that are interfering. Do you use Display Driver Uninstaller between driver updates?

if not, you should.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Might be something to do with the overclock. I'm not too knowledgeable on that, so I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that a CPU upgrade won't help with gaming. If the overclock isn't the problem, look into the GPU. Update drivers and all that. In this case, the only thing that you'd benefit noticeably from upgrading is the GPU.

Intel is still interesting in terms of frequency, so in any case, if you want to buy a new CPU, I think the best is Intel in your case.

No streaming. But I do sometiems like to have a browser open

Switching to an i7 would probably be cheaper. I was also considering switching to RyZen because of the horrible minimums I'm getting on my i5. I saw a no box i7 6700 on ebay for $240 and went for that instead. Just do the math and go with whatever is cheaper between a 6700k or R5 1600.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

No streaming. But I do sometimes like to have a browser open

A browser does not require that much in terms of multitasking

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

Time for a fresh install of windows? Might be all you need.

Just did that few days ago. I do that regularly. Might need just a fresh game install too.

5 minutes ago, Elerek said:

Time for a fresh install of windows? Might be all you need.

No. i5s are not good in those games he mentioned, much less capable of feeding a GTX 1070 properly.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

lol, i5s.. 

In all seriousness, pure quad-cores are limited now. Had a 2500k, but it's retired now. Also have another rig with a 6700k. Only reason I built a Ryzen one was because GFs pc was dying so I gave her the 6700k and Kabbylake was super dissapointing. 

i5 is just too few cores for a truly high end gaming rig, IMO.  Best bang for buck upgrade would be i7 7700k since you can use your existing motherboard.  Otherwise I do think a Ryzen 1700x would be a great upgrade.  Many have reported a generally 'smoother' running computer on Ryzen (gaming as well as other stuff).  Having an excess of cores means there is always more CPU headroom that programs can call upon when needed.

If you have the money and want to try Ryzen, go for it!  If budget is tight but you are really unhappy with your i5, go for i7 7700k or 6700k.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'd try a fresh windows install before you spend money. (edit: just saw you already tried this...)

If you still want to upgrade it'd be cheaper to go for an i7 since you already have the motherboard. You'll also probably get higher frame rates (though ryzen seems to get smoother frame rates is some titles).

I'll probably go for ryzen in my next upgrade, but that's because I'll need a new motherboard anyway.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

Hold on.....

I'm going to NYC next month so I checked prices at B&H, have done business with them before and been happy with it. I checked prices for both Ryzen 1700x and the 6700k and the i7 is just 20 bucks cheaper. Brilliantly I do have quite a lot of currency left over from my last trip (400 USD plus) so in theory that money has already been spent, it's just on my desk waiting haha. So that frees up a lot of cash for the mobo!

I'd advise against getting the 1700x or 1800x. Get the 1700. Comes with a cooler and has the exact same specs aside from out-of-the-box clock speeds. You can overclock it and get identical performance to a 1800x for half the price and a free cpu cooler at the cost of having to do some bios tinkering for the overclock.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

Pure gaming focussed upon ur information id say get an i7 k version 4cores over 8threads and oc it a little. Best pick would be 7700k in this case even on ur 1440p. Ryzen 1700 would do too. However prepare for that you will lose a bit of fps compared to 7700k (no drama drop 5-10%) and older games like single threads, so if youre some CSGO fan than i would also go for 7700k or any strong i7 4/8. Since ryzen also has memory related problems, you can stay on your older stuff/setup by going for intel here. I feel that your aiming towards gaming and this is what is the current best situation for that. Unless youre like me and want a better chip like ryzen 1700 at the cost of some fps due of higher frequenty on the 7700k vs all other win claims on ryzens side. Also if you can wait till august or the end of august i bet the prices will be much nicer for you, looool and all of us too! AMD will release threadripper and vega and intel will release the more cored chips. All in this year!

Games are already releasing patches for improved Ryzen performance.  I would expect future games to run better on Ryzen compared to their Intel equivalents.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440