Core i9 - Our Unbiased Review

Last!

Mwahahaha, take that!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

anyone who buys an i9 between now and threadripper is in for a world of pain, as intel will have no choice but to cut the price of both the CPUs and the chipsets, and even ryzen is still super attractive, as that's enough of a compromise on performance to save a fair whack for faster RAM, or even jump to ECC memory.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

The drama.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

oh look FINNALY the Ryzen testbench returns 

edit: HOLY FUCK THE TEMPS AND WATTAGE , 90c on a DUALRAD WTFFFFF 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

That intro was actually quite good. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

One of the most entertaining intros I've seen in a while.

Way to stick to your guns Linus.

I like his bit about the discussion with Intel, and about them still having the working relationship, but then pops up that Ryzen Shine part. Amazing. Didn't have to stretch for the humor in this one. Not a single dad joke in there, haha.

We're back to Intel and AMD playing leapfrog and that is just great

IMO the reason why it's confusing to some is by constantly mixing the mainstream with the enthusiast. If you think about it like this, then maybe it won't be that confusing.

Socket 1151 Kabylake has 16 lanes and chipset has 24.

Socket 2066 kabylake-X is the exact same as socket 1151, 16 lanes for cpu and 24 on the chipset, It's just that now the board you got has a better upgrade path to a higher core count cpu, with additional PCIe lanes, and quad channel memory.

Socket 1151 is stuck at 4 cores max and dual channel memory.

The cheapest Core i7 on x99 only has 28 pcie lanes, so it's the same the the new Core i7x, but since Core i7x is now a middle range produce in the X299 line up, the full number of PCIe lanes goes to Core i9x with the full 44 lanes.

I do wish Intel would have wired the ram with KabyLake-X to use on both sides of the cpu socket, just like how you would install 4 sticks of ram on a X99 board, so it looks better and don't have the feeling of having empty ram slots.

If the price is right and not too much of a difference between 1151, then IMO Kaby Lake-X will be the better option to get for those who are looking at a mainstream/enthusiast setup.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

IMO the reason why it's confusing to some is by constantly mixing the mainstream with the enthusiast. If you think about it like this, then maybe it won't be that confusing.

Socket 1151 Kabylake has 16 lanes and chipset has 24.

Socket 2066 kabylake-X is the exact same as socket 1151, 16 lanes for cpu and 24 on the chipset, It's just that now the board you got has a better upgrade path to a higher core count cpu, with additional PCIe lanes, and quad channel memory.

Socket 1151 is stuck at 4 cores max and dual channel memory.

The cheapest Core i7 on x99 only has 28 pcie lanes, so it's the same the the new Core i7x, but since Core i7x is now a middle range produce in the X299 line up, the full number of PCIe lanes goes to Core i9x with the full 44 lanes.

I do wish Intel would have wired the ram with KabyLake-X to use on both sides of the cpu socket, just like how you would install 4 sticks of ram on a X99 board, so it looks better and don't have the feeling of having empty ram slots.

If the price is right and not too much of a difference between 1151, then IMO Kaby Lake-X will be the better option to get for those who are looking at a mainstream/enthusiast setup.

the thing is that the X299 motherboards are probably going to be quite a bit more expensive, if there are some cheaper ones then yah, maybe it can make sense, but if the motherboards start at $150 then it just dosent make much sense to me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the thing is that the X299 motherboards are probably going to be quite a bit more expensive, if there are some cheaper ones then yah, maybe it can make sense, but if the motherboards start at $150 then it just dosent make much sense to me

Decent Z270 most will want to get, starts out at $150 or so, how does it not make much sense for X299 if their boards starts at out at $150.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Decent Z270 most will want to get, starts out at $150 or so, how does it not make much sense for X299 if their boards starts at out $150.

you can get a decent motherboard for Z270 for less and thats STARTING at $150 for the low end boards that nobody wants anyway. the decent boards are going to be way more expensive then that. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Could someone express this in layman terms pls?

Hey, might there be a problem with your price-performance charts? It is lacking in detail, but how is the i9 7900X better value than the 7700k and 1800X while they cost 1/3rd or 1/2 respectively, and still are delivering more than 1/3rd or 1/2 of the i9s power? Also it's kind of weak to include the OC for i7 and i9 but not 1800X (or rather an OC'ed 1700 instead).

22 minutes ago, patthehat said:

Hey, might there be a problem with your price-performance charts? It is lacking in detail, but how is the i9 7900X better value than the 7700k and 1800X while they cost 1/3rd or 1/2 respectively, and still are delivering more than 1/3rd or 1/2 of the i9s power?

I believe that's an error on my part... It's the weighted average of all results, without the final "divide by price" step.

It should actually look like this:

BjlZO5U.jpg

EDIT: There is now a separate correction thread with this fixed slide, and there is a card on YouTube when the slide appears. Sadly, it's more difficult to make corrections to a video once it's live than at any other time in the process - And certainly more difficult than print. :( 

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I loved that intro bit there. Very original and creative with lighting, background, the ambient soundtrack and Linus with the disheveled makeup. Made me excited to watch the video. 

Good work LMG! 

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Did somebody call for Guncons?

What's sad is, that's only SOME of my Guncons...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the Guncon in the intro! 

I love the severe duress in this video, which reminds me of their March 23rd, 2013 video back when they're looking for an intern (now Brandon Lee).  Poor @Slick and Edzel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdqpB8OC1M

Just now, rogerwilco91 said:

I loved that intro bit there. Very original and creative with lighting, background, the ambient soundtrack and Linus with the disheveled makeup. Made me excited to watch the video. 

Good work LMG! 

Appreciate the feedback! I've seen a few comments saying it was in poor taste, but hopefully it's apparent to most that the intent was not to emulate certain groups in the public eye right now, but rather reference a few of our previous videos poking fun at Intel and what people's expectations were following Linus' Computex rant. :D 

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

1 minute ago, GabenJr said:

Appreciate the feedback! I've seen a few comments saying it was in poor taste, but hopefully it's apparent to most that the intent was not to emulate certain groups in the public eye right now, but rather reference a few of our previous videos poking fun at Intel and what people's expectations were following Linus' Computex rant. :D 

This?  THIS is your new forum name?

I'm unfriending you right now.