LINUX - How to dowload FPC videos with wget

I want to download fpc videos to my plex server via ssh, im assuming wget would be the best way.

How can I do this

@CatBoiler would be able to explain it if it's possible.  I have a feeling it won't be though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@CatBoiler would be able to explain it if it's possible.  I have a feeling it won't be though

It is, easily. Automating it is another story (I'm sure there's a way, but it won't be elegant), but you can simply go to a page, copy the link in the download button, paste it into your terminal with your download client of choice, and you're good to go. Filenames would be rather messy without an output option, so I'd use the -O flag (wget link.com/video.mp4 -O filename.mp4) to clean it up. 

view.png

5 minutes ago, Jade said:

It is, easily/. Automating it is another story (I'm sure there's a way, but it won't be elegant), but you can simply go to a page, copy the link in the download button, paste it into your terminal with your download client of choice, and you're good to go. Filenames would be rather messy without an output option, so I'd use the -O flag (wget link.com/video.mp4 -O filename.mp4) to clean it up. 

So you're going to the page on the forum and then pasting the link into the terminal? xD what is the point then, you could just click it?

Also, I'm surprised that even works... seems like there's opportunity for bypassing the fact you need to be a PFC member to get videos...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So you're going to the page on the forum and then pasting the link into the terminal? xD what is the point then, you could just click it?

Also, I'm surprised that even works... seems like there's opportunity for bypassing the fact you need to be a PFC member to get videos...

If what they've mentioned in the past is correct, you have a limited number of downloads in a certain timeframe (probably daily?) and the string that comes after "?wmsAuthSign=" probably is how they account for a user's download. As for why you might do that? I dunno, maybe it's a server (no GUI) box; OP mentioned doing the downloads over ssh.

On 19/06/2017 at 5:13 PM, Jade said:

I dunno, maybe it's a server (no GUI) box; OP mentioned doing the downloads over ssh.

Yes its a server with plex and i dont even have a screen plugged into it

7 minutes ago, AndromedaProductions said:

Yes its a server with plex and i dont even have a screen plugged into it

Yeah, I know, I used a server just like it for the example image up there. If you really wanted to, you could crawl the index of the FPC section and search for a download button then just copy the address that points to, but that's, in my opinion, too much effort, when we'll probably be getting the new site with at least a basic API in not too long.

1 minute ago, AndromedaProductions said:

i tried doing this with the rss feed but no luck as it just points to the player url: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/91-the-floatplane-club.xml/

Yeah, you could probably do something with that rss feed, but I'm not sure how to go about it, given the src links link to a Javascript-based player. Again, the less elegant method would involve scraping the pages with a cookie to be authorized, finding the link in every page, and queuing it to a download system. (probably not wget if you're doing it in a scripting language like Python.) ...and scraping would probably make the staff somewhat unhappy.