Chinese developing new unhackable Internet

mr moose

The Chinese launched a Quantum satellite in August and generated a pair of entangled particles, then using a laser they sent them back to earth to two separate locations 1200Km apart.  This is the largest distance the quantum phenomena has been shown to remain tangled.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/china-sets-new-record-for-quantum-entanglement-en-route-to-build-new-communication-network/news-story/e528da0cf68b2e63bbe093cab49ec507

Chinese scientists have set a new distance record for beaming a pair of entangled particles: photons of light that behave like twins and experience the exact same things simultaneously, even though they’re separated by great distances.

The principle is called quantum entanglement and it’s one of the subatomic world’s weirdest phenomena. And China has smashed the distance record for quantum entanglement.

I'd personally prefer to know idf they have actually managed to send any data using the method, because once they do it will be the first demonstration of an un-hackable data connection.

The reason it can’t be hacked is because the information carried in the quantum state of a particle cannot be measured or cloned without destroying the information itself.

All hype?  Not too sure but it was published in the journal science and scientists from around the world have stated this is possible and has been done on smaller scales. 

My take: Imagine setting up your own data link that cannot be spied on at all.  Or better yet imagine instant data transfer over huge (interplanetary) distances.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is 100% unrelated to internet.

Also "the quantum state of a particle cannot be measured or cloned without destroying the information itself" well obviously it can't be hacked if you can't even access it yourself.

haHAA you can't know this information because I can't either!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Would be good 4 future mars and moon missions

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

how?  does the internet not use networks?

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Nice for secure key exchange, but unpractical for large data sets.

Still great technology.

why impractical for large data sets, they haven't even transferred data yet, for all we know it might be the next big thing to put fibre optics to bed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

From the looks of it, it looks life "Li-Fi" on steroids. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

how?  does the internet not use networks?

This is literally just two particles. Do you know what that means?

ONE bit. Just ONE.

And guess what? you can't even use it for anything because when measured it changes and it is impossible to know what it was before measuring.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is literally just two particles. Do you know what that means?

ONE bit. Just ONE.

And guess what? you can't even use it for anything because when measured it changes and it is impossible to know what it was before measuring.

you'd better go and tell all those physicists around the world they are wasting billions researching this stuff because you have already shown it to be futile.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

you'd better go and tell all those physicists around the world they are wasting billions researching this stuff because you have already shown it to be futile.

?

Where did I say it was futile?

I said this is not an "internet", maybe you want a refresher on what that is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Also the "unhackable" claim is BS, if you can't get the data for the same reason nobody else can then it's not unhackable, it's just useless.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also "the quantum state of a particle cannot be measured or cloned without destroying the information itself" well obviously it can't be hacked if you can't even access it yourself.

haHAA you can't know this information because I can't either!

lets put it in stupid terms

you drop your phone front first onto concrete 

but you dont know if it cracked or not without observing it

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Except, in this case, simply looking at the phone changes where it was cracked or not.

Basically, trying to use this as an unhackable internet is almost foolproof. It can be hacked prior to actual transmition, it can still be hacked. But once transmitted, it cannot be hacked as it cannot be used at all.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

About time, I heard about this like half a day ago :P 

Very interesting tech.  The thing with quantum entangled particles, to the best of my knowledge is that when one is affected, the other is affected instantly, as opposed to the traditional "after the amount of time it would take for light to travel the distance".  Perhaps in the distant future this can be used for instant communication between Earth and Mars, or farther.

It also raises the question of effective time travel since it allows transmission of information through space faster than light ?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

About time, I heard about this like half a day ago :P 

Very interesting tech.  The thing with quantum entangled particles, to the best of my knowledge is that when one is affected, the other is affected instantly, as opposed to the traditional "after the amount of time it would take for light to travel the distance".  Perhaps in the distant future this can be used for instant communication between Earth and Mars, or farther.

It also raises the question of effective time travel since it allows transmission of information through space faster than light ?

by that time you and me are dead so who cares its not like you're researching it :^) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

by that time you and me are dead so who cares its not like you're researching it :^) 

why you gotta be like that? :( 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

why you gotta be like that? :( 

because life is terrible and you know it~!

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.56.40 AM.png

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

?

Where did I say it was futile?

I said this is not an "internet", maybe you want a refresher on what that is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

Also the "unhackable" claim is BS, if you can't get the data for the same reason nobody else can then it's not unhackable, it's just useless.

I never said this was an internet, My title reflects the article I linked which claims the Chinese are working on an unhackable internet.  Please read before you contradict.

15 minutes ago, themctipers said:

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Except, in this case, simply looking at the phone changes where it was cracked or not.

Basically, trying to use this as an unhackable internet is almost foolproof. It can be hacked prior to actual transmition, it can still be hacked. But once transmitted, it cannot be hacked as it cannot be used at all.

I know my understanding of quantum physics is a little rough, but you do realise they had to measure it to prove it was entangled right?  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I know my understanding of quantum physics is a little rough, but you do realise they had to measure it to prove it was entangled right?  

and I'm gay 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

and I'm gay 

how's that working out for you? 

Just now, mr moose said:

how's that working out for you? 

my butt hurts a lot and people are asking for nudes (SERIOUSLY JOKING ABOUT THE LAST PART)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I never said this was an internet, My title reflects the article I linked which claims the Chinese are working on an unhackable internet.  Please read before you contradict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

The paradox is that a measurement made on either of the particles apparently collapses the state of the entire entangled system—and does so instantaneously, before any information about the measurement result could have been communicated to the other particle (assuming that information cannot travel faster than light) and hence assured the "proper" outcome of the measurement of the other part of the entangled pair. In the Copenhagen interpretation, the result of a spin measurement on one of the particles is a collapse into a state in which each particle has a definite spin (either up or down) along the axis of measurement. The outcome is taken to be random, with each possibility having a probability of 50%. However, if both spins are measured along the same axis, they are found to be anti-correlated. This means that the random outcome of the measurement made on one particle seems to have been transmitted to the other, so that it can make the "right choice" when it too is measured.[32]

You cannot make an "internet" by sending a single random bit to another location.

Yes you can measure it, when you measure it it will change.

This is not useful because you cannot force it to be a certain 1 or 0, it will be a random outcome when measured.

This is why it is "unhackable" because no matter who measures it, you or a hacker, nobody gets any useful information out of it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

You cannot make an "internet" by sending a single random bit to another location.

Yes you can measure it, when you measure it it will change.

This is not useful because you cannot force it to be a certain 1 or 0, it will be a random outcome when measured.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/china-s-quantum-satellite-achieves-spooky-action-record-distance

EDIT: added this quote seeing as some people are not reading the article.

Beyond the fundamental result, such experiments also point to the possibility of hack-proof communications. Long strings of entangled photons, shared between distant locations, can be "quantum keys" that secure communications. Anyone trying to eavesdrop on a quantum-encrypted message would disrupt the shared key, alerting everyone to a compromised channel.

54 minutes ago, mr moose said:

All hype?  Not too sure but it was published in the journal science and scientists from around the world have stated this is possible and has been done on smaller scales. 

Many rural areas still rely on satellite internet. I hope this quantum satellite using lasers will solve the bottleneck that exists in satellite internet: latency.

Satellite internet at the moment can actually compete with cable and DSL when it comes to speed but they suffer from high latency which makes them agonizingly slow for video chat and online gaming. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Many rural areas still rely on satellite internet. I hope this quantum satellite using lasers will solve the bottleneck that exists in satellite internet: latency.

Satellite internet at the moment can actually compete with cable and DSL when it comes to speed but they suffer from high latency which makes them agonizingly slow for video chat and online gaming. 

No,  at the moment it will only secure your connection,  we have to wait for other breakthroughs in this tech for the goods stuff like instant data transfer.