Which X370 Motherboard?

I'm just finalising the last few components of a new Ryzen 1700 build and I'm having trouble both deciding on a motherboard and also telling the difference spec-wise. One must have is 8+ USB ports as I'm currently using the only 6 I have on this system and will likely add to it in the future.

ASUS Crosshair VI

Gigabyte K5

I'm not sure if one brand is better than another but I'm aware one is £60 more expensive so it must have some features that the other doesn't? Not sure If I'm being completely blind here or not.

K5 all the way

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

K5 all the way

Any reason behind it? Just curious.

Have a look as the Asrock Taichi AX370 - that and the crosshair are pretty much the best X370 boards at the moment. K5 is decent, but the K7 is flagship so bios updates are slow for the K5. 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, elKz said:

Any reason behind it? Just curious.

Same features, cooler RGB on the K5 (IMO obviously) similar quality and 60 bucks cheaper.  Also comes with a steam voucher

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Same features, cooler RGB on the K5 (IMO obviously) similar quality and 60 bucks cheaper.  Also comes with a steam voucher

Hmm, fair point. 

Nothing on the ASUS actually justifies that £60 price difference then?

Just now, elKz said:

Nothing on the ASUS actually justifies that £60 price difference then?

Bios updates come faster and some prefer ASUS bios/looks

Just now, Damascus said:

Bios updates come faster and some prefer ASUS bios/looks

The bios updates don't mean a thing to me, If the system works that's good enough for the time being lol. I do prefer the looks of the ASUS but for £60? Eh. I guess I'm going with the K5 then unless there's another recommended board out there. 

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Asus has a BCLK generator. It probably has a few extra things here and there that I'd have to go back and check.

5 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Have a look as the Asrock Taichi AX370 - that and the crosshair are pretty much the best X370 boards at the moment. K5 is decent, but the K7 is flagship so bios updates are slow for the K5. 

I second this, the Taichi is absolutely great.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Asus has a BCLK generator. It probably has a few extra things here and there that I'd have to go back and check.

I second this, the Taichi is absolutely great.

I'm sorry to keep asking this but what makes the Taichi stand out? I'm running a ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 now and absolutely love the thing.

The colour fits right in with my build as well, might just have to add some red psu cables to it as well. 

Just now, elKz said:

I'm sorry to keep asking this but what makes the Taichi stand out? I'm running a ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 now and absolutely love the thing.

Good VRM's, fast updates, 10/10 looks good io, good support for whatever you want (nvme etc.)

Just now, elKz said:

The colour fits right in with my build as well, might just have to add some red psu cables to it as well. 

Asrock tends to do pretty well with bios updates. It's got the best vrms of any board out there right now (6+2 with doublers for 12+4, K7 and K5 are 6+2 without doublers and crosshair vi hero is 4+2 with doublers to make it 8+2, the xpower titanium is so garbage it shouldn't be considered :P), which is usually the reason it gets recommended. It also has tons of sata ports and stuff, and everything is really just high quality.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On June 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM, elKz said:

I'm just finalising the last few components of a new Ryzen 1700 build and I'm having trouble both deciding on a motherboard and also telling the difference spec-wise. One must have is 8+ USB ports as I'm currently using the only 6 I have on this system and will likely add to it in the future.

ASUS Crosshair VI

Gigabyte K5

I'm not sure if one brand is better than another but I'm aware one is £60 more expensive so it must have some features that the other doesn't? Not sure If I'm being completely blind here or not.

@jjohnthedon1 Is using Ryzen 7 1700 with the crosshair and he wins the silicon lottery because his stats are good. For further information ask him in a PM

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Hands down get the ch6 man 

there like a bios every few weeks crammed with new features 

its just a kick ass board with everything on it 

shit ton of power phases and looks insanely good 

best mobo Iv ever had 

i got both my ryzen chips to 4 Ghz on it 

and my Hynix ram is 3200 stable with the 1006 agesa beta bios 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1.c6h if u have so much money

2. X370 taichi  

no kxxx  

no b350xxx

no ausu prime pro

x370 taichi exterior and bios 

你们肯定没用过鲁大师这个娱乐软件哈哈bc3eb3b7d0a20cf413daabd47c094b36adaf99ab.jpg.e876c4cf88f93c290cbd183d124586eb.jpgpsb1.thumb.jpg.e495fb513209f8f9bb5726d401968c17.jpgpsb2.thumb.jpg.fac0952324b4d94a9f1be383ec31d733.jpg594939067769a_QQ20170530105642.png.ba0fcbecf779cbe58721595c7f3cba86.png

2 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Hands down get the ch6 man 

there like a bios every few weeks crammed with new features 

its just a kick ass board with everything on it 

shit ton of power phases and looks insanely good 

best mobo Iv ever had 

i got both my ryzen chips to 4 Ghz on it 

and my Hynix ram is 3200 stable with the 1006 agesa beta bios 

Won silicon lottery plus amazing motherboard equals amazing glory

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol