best way to apply thermal paste laptop

Principis
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

As long as you have thermal paste on there, you should be fine.

Hi

I had to remove the heatsink from my HP Spectre x360 because the HP repair idiots didn't tighten the screws enough...  and I don't know how to apply the thermal paste correctly.

I used the 'carey holzman' method but It's not that easy because the dies are really small... 

Also when I had to screw the heatsink back in place it moved a lot because it's all really small and light.

Should I reapply it? Or doesn't it matter all that much?

My feeling goes to option 2.

Thanks in advance.

As long as you have thermal paste on there, you should be fine.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

The only difference is to apply slightly less as the surface area is smaller.

Also, I've heard elsewhere that whenever you apply thermal paste directly onto a die (as in laptops and GPU dies on graphics cards) and not on an IHS as you would on a desktop CPU, you just need to take your time and be sure it will cover the whole surface area, or a part of the CPU architecture won't get proper heat dissipation.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

It's a laptop, which means that the CPU is probably not covered by an IHS. so make sure that if there isn't enough mounting pressure to spread the paste, you need to do it yourself.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

38 minutes ago, Principis said:

Hi

I had to remove the heatsink from my HP Spectre x360 because the HP repair idiots didn't tighten the screws enough...  and I don't know how to apply the thermal paste correctly.

I used the 'carey holzman' method but It's not that easy because the dies are really small... 

Also when I had to screw the heatsink back in place it moved a lot because it's all really small and light.

Should I reapply it? Or doesn't it matter all that much?

My feeling goes to option 2.

Thanks in advance.

assuming your using non-conductive thermal paste you should be fine as long as you put about a drop/pea size in the middle of the chip. The idea is to have the thermal paste spread out on the surface of the chip which will occur naturally once you apply pressure with the heatsink. It's ok if it moved around because the main part that needs to be covered is in the middle. Not sure if you have one of those laptops that uses a single heatsink for both gpu and cpu in which case you would need to make sure your gpu gets covered as much as possible.