add new drives to raid 5 soft raid

Go to solution Solved by Technomancer__,

On 19/06/2017 at 10:43 PM, dalekphalm said:

I don't currently use it anymore (I went ZFS and FreeNAS) but I have a full license to FlexRAID too - it was kickass for what I needed at the time.

FlexRAID also allows you to combine drives of multiple sizes into virtual drives (Eg: You have 4x 3TB drives, 1x 2TB, and 2x 500GB - you can combine the 2TB and 500GB drives into a virtual 3TB drive, giving you 5x 3TB drives).

It's - as the name suggests - very flexible.

flexraid is just what i needed but theres just one issue. it wont speed things up with multiple drives like raid 5

so i think i will run freenas on a vm and raid 5 from there

thanks for the help 

if I do a raid 5 softraid (parity mode) can I add another drive later on?

I plan on adding 3 drives and adding more later. I will be using hard drive sentinel to monitor drives and sent notification if something is about to fail or has failed.

if you know a better way than doing it thru windows like another software fell free to suggest it.

12 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

if I do a raid 5 softraid (parity mode) can I add another drive later on?

I plan on adding 3 drives and adding more later. I will be using hard drive sentinel to monitor drives and sent notification if something is about to fail or has failed.

if you know a better way than doing it thru windows like another software fell free to suggest it.

That entirely depends on what software you use to do Software RAID.

Unless "softraid" is a specific product - if so, I'm unaware of it.

FlexRAID is an example of Software RAID that can expand a RAID5-like parity pool on the fly. In fact, FlexRAID can even expand the parity level as well by just adding more drives.

FlexRAID costs money though, but it's fairly cheap.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

mdadm (linux raid) you can.

storage spaces (Win2k12 R2 Server or higher) you can.

btrfs raids (e.g plextor) you can.

unraid (xfs) you can. (though this is more spanned volume with parity)

windows disk management raid-5 you cant.

freenas (zfs) you cant.

Avoid trying to expand arrays using 3rd party tools on arrays that don't natively support it (e.g windows raid5) - or you're going to be in for a bad time. I know from experience....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

softraid is short for software raid

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That entirely depends on what software you use to do Software RAID.

FlexRAID is an example of Software RAID that can expand a RAID5-like parity pool on the fly. In fact, FlexRAID can even expand the parity level as well by just adding more drives.

FlexRAID costs money though, but it's fairly cheap.

thanks very much Transparent RAID was what i was looking for

i will do the trial and if i like it and works fine i will get the unlimited license its only 88 euros

9 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

thanks very much Transparent RAID was what i was looking for

i will do the trial and if i like it and works fine i will get the unlimited license its only 88 euros

I don't currently use it anymore (I went ZFS and FreeNAS) but I have a full license to FlexRAID too - it was kickass for what I needed at the time.

FlexRAID also allows you to combine drives of multiple sizes into virtual drives (Eg: You have 4x 3TB drives, 1x 2TB, and 2x 500GB - you can combine the 2TB and 500GB drives into a virtual 3TB drive, giving you 5x 3TB drives).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, Jarsky said:

mdadm (linux raid) you can.

storage spaces (Win2k12 R2 Server or higher) you can.

btrfs raids (e.g plextor) you can.

unraid (xfs) you can. (though this is more spanned volume with parity)

windows disk management raid-5 you cant.

freenas (zfs) you cant.

Avoid trying to expand arrays using 3rd party tools on arrays that don't natively support it (e.g windows raid5) - or you're going to be in for a bad time. I know from experience....

You inadvertently solved and issue I've been having for quiet some time now.  Thanks! 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

• 1 month later...

On 19/06/2017 at 10:43 PM, dalekphalm said:

flexraid is just what i needed but theres just one issue. it wont speed things up with multiple drives like raid 5

thanks for the help 

12 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

thanks for the help 

Indeed FlexRAID gives you zero performance increases over individual drives - by design - because each drive is still formatted as NTFS and works independently of the rest of the pool. 

FreeNAS is great, assuming you have all identical drives. If you don't have identical drives, it can be a real pain in the ass. 

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed FlexRAID gives you zero performance increases over individual drives - by design - because each drive is still formatted as NTFS and works independently of the rest of the pool. 

FreeNAS is great, assuming you have all identical drives. If you don't have identical drives, it can be a real pain in the ass. 

They will all be those 10tb segate nas hdds