Xbox One X -vs- PC... A video request.

Rabih.H
1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On top of that, would any one explain to me why ultra is worthwhile when it barely looks better than the preset below while asking for a ton more GPU power?

Digital Foundry/EuroGamer has actually been approaching this in a series of videos they're calling '4K On A Budget'.  They're basically looking at 4K gaming in the 'good enough' arena, since, well, as much as PC gamers love to focus on top tier parts, a healthy majority of them can't actually AFFORD those parts they lust after but still want to play games.

23 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

... as much as PC gamers love to focus on top tier parts, a healthy majority of them can't actually AFFORD those parts they lust after but still want to play games.

And they still try to assert some sort of "dominance" over some group.

I feel it's like cars. Lots of people lust after the Porches and Lamborghinis, but they don't really see the other cars that can be actually fun to drive (and makes sense to own) and laugh at others who don't mind driving something "lesser"

6 hours ago, Rabih.H said:

EVGA actually make decent lower end PSUs.

Not this guy. It has no 80+ certification. It can't even detect input voltage, so if you don't flip the switch you could blow it up. Voltage regulation and voltage ripple are pretty much garbage. I haven't even gotten to the fact that it's only rated for 0-25C, and the crappy caps in that thing.

If you wanna destroy the rest of your pc in 3 years, suit yourself.

I didn't even mention that the 6 TFLOPs of the xbox x is more powerful than a 1060 3gb.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

17 minutes ago, TehStranger said:

So sick of this Console vs PC bullshit... No one wants a PC that's spec equivalent to a console, they want the console for what it is

exactly.

i like my consoles for what they are as much as i like my pc for what it is as well as my android tablet.

everything has a reason to exist the way it is. 

trying to make one thing be something it isn't failed most of the time.

you could install a desktop OS on a playstation 3 but that didn't really take off.

i know a lot of people with playstations but i didn't see anyone plugging a keyboard and mouse in and write a paper on their PS3 

the same goes the other way around: there have been attempts to bring the "console experience" to PC hardware but that wasn't widely adopted either it seems.

i think it was MSI (or was it alienware?) who sold a console sized gaming box with a custom "gamepad friendly" UI on top of windows ... that was some 5 years ago if i remember correctly ... console sized PCs are still a thing but i have not heard much about console-style operating systems in a while (yeah, steamOS also isn't making big headlines any more AFAIK) 

as you see, there isn't really a competition (at least i don't see any) - if people want to buy the new XBOX, they want the new XBOX and not an "equaly powerfull" PC (if they really wanted a PC , they would have bought a PC)

so please let PCs be PCs and consoles be consoles and for the love of god let people play with whatever they want without constantly begging someone else to confirm that one is superior over the other

31 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

exactly.

i like my consoles for what they are as much as i like my pc for what it is as well as my android tablet.

everything has a reason to exist the way it is.

Agree.  Each has Pros and Cons.

Myself, I have consoles along with my PC, because, crap it, there is some days I just don't want to fool with gaming on the PC.  Especially after a 12 hour shift on help desk duty arguing with officers.

Also, on that partpicker, peep needs to add a UHD blu-ray player; otherwise, it missing a feature the Xbox One X has.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

6 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You play LIS for Story not for graphics

I still need to play that but I agree anyway.  ?

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why would I play any game for it's graphics over it's story and/or game-play mechanics?  I play games for the game part of the game. That's why they're called 'games'.  If you were in it for it's graphics first and foremost, you could just play the 3D Mark demos on an infinite loop.

This.  400% agree.  Graphics are like icing on a cake: they make a game look nicer but like the cake underneath it's the story and/or gameplay that counts most.  

You could have the most amazing graphics in a game but if it's a terrible experience then it doesn't matter how nice it looks.  

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On top of that, would any one explain to me why ultra is worthwhile when it barely looks better than the preset below while asking for a ton more GPU power?

Is that the case with most (or all) games?    I never thought to examine the difference that much.

I could get some really nice high fps in games if turning down the settings wouldn't make them look any different.  ?

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Agree.  Each has Pros and Cons.

Myself, I have consoles along with my PC, because, crap it, there is some days I just don't want to fool with gaming on the PC.  Especially after a 12 hour shift on help desk duty arguing with officers.

Also, on that partpicker, peep needs to add a UHD blu-ray player; otherwise, it missing a feature the Xbox One X has.

Yeah.  One being noise.  At its worst my PS4 is quieter than my desktop and it can be really nice to game with less white noise in the background.  

Or console exclusive games.  Games like The Last of Us Remastered and Horizon Zero Dawn are too much fun to miss out on because someone wants to spout PCMR crap.  

PCs have benefits too but I'm too lazy atm to think of any.

In the end people should play what games are fun for them regardless of what system it's on.  

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Here's a modified version of that list, with other things added:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6HqfZ8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6HqfZ8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($55.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint M8 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.95 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 400W ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Pioneer - BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($128.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($36.00 @ B&H)
Other: Xbox Wireless Controller - White  ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Other: MSI RX 580 GAMING X 8G Radeon RX 580 GDDR5 8GB CrossFire VR Ready FinFET DirectX 12 Graphics Card  ($259.99)
Total: $880.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 19:04 EDT-0400

I mean, I guess you can knock off $90 for the OS (because lol why pay full price for an OS). I also replaced the wireless adapter with an 802.11ac one, because the XBox One S has one. Though it uses a MediaTek chip.

I would also knock off 4GB from the RAM, but eh.

On 19/06/2017 at 1:45 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

And I'm going to be me and say "You're missing UHD Blu-ray capabilities"

Also just because the hardware says "Gaming" on it, doesn't make it a "gaming-grade" piece of kit. That $25 KBM combo is going to last as long as any other $25 KBM combo.

Considering that most PCs are hooked up to monitors, and movies are watched online, I'm pretty safe to say that you don't need blu ray. Barely anyone actually uses discs nowadays... And it's a gaming grade piece of kit, I've used the keyboard and mouse before and they feel surprisingly premium. I've got a coolermaster devastator kb/mouse combo, it's $20 and has lasted 2 years so far with no issues whatsoever.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

Why is nobody adding the price OF A FREAKIN' 4K60 CAPABLE TV TO THE PRICE?

A GOOD 4k60 TV is at least $650 (and by good I don't mean off-brand crap that actually upscales 1080p and will break the second it goes out of warranty. I'm talking reputable brands, like Sony, Philips, Samsung etc.)

Add that $650 to the $500 of the console and you're looking at a $1150 bill so you can fully use your console.

A 4k 60hz monitor, on the other hand, can be purchased for $300 (or even less).

Factor in all your peripherals, people.

4k PC Gaming isn't cheap, but it's a helluva lot more fun.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

That's not really a 4K PC either. If you really wanted a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X-grade PC you'd be shooting for 2880x1620 up to 3840x2160 rather than just aiming for a straight 3840x2160. With console settings, you probably would be aiming for a better framerate, though, so you could shoot for better settings.

In general, it's kind of a shit PC for $510. First off, do you expect one to run Linux on a fucking couch PC? Second off, the power supply. Oh lord, you should get a smack for expecting that to hold up fine there. Third, you can get a 1TB hard drive for like $5 more. Fourth, that WiFi adapter. If you really want to aim for a couch PC here, you should get a PCI-Express card. There's too much to pull apart here.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 2017-06-18 at 2:56 PM, Rabih.H said:

Good value console for once? The Xbox 360 is a fantastic value console, especially with the amazing exclusives it has... Halo Reach was my life for a good 4-5 years, I don't think I'll ever have as much fun gaming as when I did with Reach. Personally, I feel as if the One X isn't a good value console. Its performance is heavily exaggerated, Microsoft are marketing the console as a 4K 60FPS gaming system even though literally only 1 game supports it... I'm not being bias at all, I just think that you can get way better value for the money.

Why do you not think that the Xbox One X is a good value? You tried putting together a PC with equivalent specifications and performance for the same price, but you in some sense failed to do so. The Xbox One X is much smaller and in my opinion much prettier than the case you gave for the build, you have 8 GB instead of 12 GB (albeit the 12 GB is shared between the CPU and GPU), less storage (500 GB vs 1 TB), no UHD Blu-ray drive (and these are quite expensive and difficult to use on PC), no controller, what I would assume is inferior WiFi capabilities and no Bluetooth capabilities.

I do agree that this PC would be cheaper in the long run, with cheaper games and free online multiplayer. Therefore, just spend a little bit more on the PC. It's fine, PCs do not have to be as cheap as consoles, which is okay, because you are getting so much more with a PC. A good value for money for me would be to spend a few hundra dollars more on the PC. You'll get a, in my opinion, far better gaming experience than you would on the Xbox One X, and it wouldn't be that much more expensive in the end. 

Edit: You also forgot the OS. 

5 hours ago, Rabih.H said:

Considering that most PCs are hooked up to monitors, and movies are watched online, I'm pretty safe to say that you don't need blu ray. Barely anyone actually uses discs nowadays... And it's a gaming grade piece of kit, I've used the keyboard and mouse before and they feel surprisingly premium. I've got a coolermaster devastator kb/mouse combo, it's $20 and has lasted 2 years so far with no issues whatsoever.

Then I'm allowed to deduct the cost of the UHD Blu-Ray from the console and reduce the price by another $40 considering the controller's MSRP is $60.

So basically you  have to build something as good for $350 or so. Maybe $400 if I was feeling generous.

I know I've said this before and I know I'll say it again, but consoles and PCs excel at different things and building one to 'kill' the other is ridiculous.

Consoles are very user friendly, small, compact, idiot proof boxes that basically 'Just make games and movies happen'.  They are priced in a specific range for consumers and they are marketed in a specific way.  They are also highly refined for their task, including dedicated interfaces that work for their control schemes and the livingrooms they'll be going into.  (That is, '10 Foot Interfaces')

PCs are highly modular, flexible, and modifiable.  They can be gaming PCs, office workstations, video editing stations, animation studios, render blades, or whatever, but they often need extra or different accessories to be ideal for these tasks. You can build a PC that is light and affordable or you can build a PC that is disgustingly overspeced and cost as much as a really nice used car.

While both can very much be 'Boxes you play games on' they are built to do from rather different philosophies and neither is a suitable replacement for the other in broad terms.

On 6/20/2017 at 3:13 AM, revsilverspine said:

A GOOD 4k60 TV is at least $650 (and by good I don't mean off-brand crap that actually upscales 1080p and will break the second it goes out of warranty. I'm talking reputable brands, like Sony, Philips, Samsung etc.)

Add that $650 to the $500 of the console and you're looking at a $1150 bill so you can fully use your console.

A 4k 60hz monitor, on the other hand, can be purchased for $300 (or even less).

Factor in all your peripherals, people.

4k PC Gaming isn't cheap, but it's a helluva lot more fun.

We talking about HDR ones correct?

Otherwise, that monitor going to go up in price for a good HDR one.  And, not just one with HDR smacked on it, one that actually has HDR10 Premium on it. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 6/20/2017 at 4:13 AM, revsilverspine said:

Because TV's live in different roles than computer monitors.  While a PC monitor can have multiple inputs and you can hook things other than a PC up to it, most typically they are used JUST as PC monitors.  A TV on the other hand is the center point of a living room, den, or home theater. It can be hooked up to MULTIPLE game consoles, a cable/satelite box, an antenna and many other things, not to mention many TVs are SmartTVs and can stream video content with only an internet connection.  A television isn't 'the thing that shows the pictures from the Xbox' it's 'The center piece of the entertainment room'.

In short, you buy a PC monitor for the PC.  You buy a TV for the livingroom. (Or den, or bedroom, or home theater, ect)

KB/M is a vastly superior control scheme to a console controller except in racing, fighting, and flying games. However, both racing and flying games have dedicated controllers which work much better than the console controllers for their respective niches. 

58 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

KB/M is a vastly superior control scheme to a console controller except in racing, fighting, and flying games.

In Ravenshrike's universe: Platformers are best played with mouse and keyboard. o.O

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

In Ravenshrike's universe: Platformers are best played with mouse and keyboard. o.O

With a decent Keyboard and at least 4 button mouse, yes. Especially if you split movement keys into 33,66, and 100% movement.

9 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

With a decent Keyboard and at least 4 button mouse, yes. Especially if you split movement keys into 33,66, and 100% movement.

I literally can't tell if this is trolling or serious...

On 6/18/2017 at 4:30 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Here is why this list won't work:

• It is not small
  • Xbox uses controller not mouse/kb
  • The Wifi adapter is very bad that it looks like made for decorative purposes
  • I would trust a bomb to power it rather than that PSU
  • You get a 1TB HDD (double the capacity) for $5 more 
  • 1060 3GB? Ready to be roasted

Yes, Ima say it, I would get a console for $500 than a PC

lemme just address all your points

maybe not but who cares it is superior

its called adapters which arent too much (for xbox one use USB type B i think it is?) [also if you are assuming you are using xbox controllers to game just find some shitty old keyboard and mouse to do the trick]

so you get a cheap $10 like i plan to (rosewill someshit)

so get a better PSU, look here for ideas (stay above Tier 4 for non-explosive experiences):

So you go for the 1 TB drive no big deal

Why do you say "ready to be roasted?" not a bad card for that range? i mean if you did price readjusting on everything else you could get better

On 6/18/2017 at 4:23 AM, Rabih.H said:

Hi there everyone. I've been on YouTube quite a bit lately, and have found so many misguided people who aren't too knowledgeable of the true facts regarding the One X, only believing what Microsoft is marketing. So many people are believing that the One X is a true 4K 60FPS console, where in reality literally only 1 game has been announced to run at 4K 60FPS, and that is Forza 7. In fact, only a handful of games are actually able to run at 4K at all on the new console.

- https://www.windowscentral.com/all-xbox-one-x-enhanced-games

Also, people are not understanding the fact that despite the 4K resolution 90% of these games will be running at low visual quality, which is fairly easy to achieve at 4K using PC hardware. In fact, it's so easy that I've been able to put together a solid part list for ~$500 that meets the One X's performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($55.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 400W ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Encore - ENUWI-1XN45 USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Thermaltake - Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse  ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $510.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 07:23 EDT-0400

It even includes WiFi and gaming grade peripherals (to match the controller/on-board WiFi) the One X has. Count in the fact that the PC will be superior for productivity, upgradability, aesthetics (if that's your thing), free online multiplayer, a better overall online community and a plethora of decent free/cheaper games, I think that the PC is the winner. The only argument for consoles I would pitch forward would be exclusives. Linus, I reckon it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to put together a video that pitches this forward. Tell me what you guys think, I've honestly got an open mind in this argument, I'm not bias and have both an Xbox One and my own gaming PC. Thanks :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t2BmzM

6 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

so 43$ over with no upscaling support, no 4k Blu-ray support, janky wifi adapter, doesn't even have a Windows key, no controller also no free games, with the benefit of looking ugly, who not just accept the Xbox one X is a really good deal. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

so 43$ over with no upscaling support, no 4k Blu-ray support, janky wifi adapter, doesn't even have a Windows key, no controller also no free games, with the benefit of looking ugly, who not just accept the Xbox one X is a really good deal. 

What a lot of people don't get, and you keep catching them on, is price wise, once you factor in EVERYTHING like you are, a a la carte built PC can't compete with a console.  Going piece by piece, you buy ONE UHD BD drive and so on.  MS goes in in and says 'Hey, we want ONE MILLION drives from you and options to buy more in one hundred thousand unit groups after that.  Let's discuss pricing'.  Guess who gets a better deal?

Consoles are MASS PRODUCED literally in the MILLIONS and can be sold at a LOSS to make it up on game sales.  PCs are a bunch of parts, with EACH company making EACH part, expecting to make a profit, one by one.  It's simple economies of scale.