Xbox One X -vs- PC... A video request.

Rabih.H

Hi there everyone. I've been on YouTube quite a bit lately, and have found so many misguided people who aren't too knowledgeable of the true facts regarding the One X, only believing what Microsoft is marketing. So many people are believing that the One X is a true 4K 60FPS console, where in reality literally only 1 game has been announced to run at 4K 60FPS, and that is Forza 7. In fact, only a handful of games are actually able to run at 4K at all on the new console.

- https://www.windowscentral.com/all-xbox-one-x-enhanced-games

Also, people are not understanding the fact that despite the 4K resolution 90% of these games will be running at low visual quality, which is fairly easy to achieve at 4K using PC hardware. In fact, it's so easy that I've been able to put together a solid part list for ~$500 that meets the One X's performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($55.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 400W ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Encore - ENUWI-1XN45 USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Thermaltake - Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse  ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $510.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 07:23 EDT-0400

It even includes WiFi and gaming grade peripherals (to match the controller/on-board WiFi) the One X has. Count in the fact that the PC will be superior for productivity, upgradability, aesthetics (if that's your thing), free online multiplayer, a better overall online community and a plethora of decent free/cheaper games, I think that the PC is the winner. The only argument for consoles I would pitch forward would be exclusives. Linus, I reckon it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to put together a video that pitches this forward. Tell me what you guys think, I've honestly got an open mind in this argument, I'm not bias and have both an Xbox One and my own gaming PC. Thanks :)

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

7 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($55.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 400W ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Encore - ENUWI-1XN45 USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Thermaltake - Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse  ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $510.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 07:23 EDT-0400

Here is why this list won't work:

• It is not small
  • Xbox uses controller not mouse/kb
  • The Wifi adapter is very bad that it looks like made for decorative purposes
  • I would trust a bomb to power it rather than that PSU
  • You get a 1TB HDD (double the capacity) for $5 more 
  • 1060 3GB? Ready to be roasted

Yes, Ima say it, I would get a console for $500 than a PC

Oh, not this console vs PC thing again.

BTW, you may be right about productivity, upgradability, etc. But certainly not aesthetics. Those cheap PC cases are the ugliest thing in the world. No way I'll ever put one of those in my living room.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

• It is not small

Yes, Ima say it, I would get a console for $500 than a PC

i would make different choices for $500 rather than that specific PC, because all you said is very true :P

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

you know it happens every time MS talks Xbone.

34 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

• It is not small

I don't see a problem with having a slightly larger case, it isn't full ATX, it's a Micro ATX Mini Tower. Keyboard/Mouse is the preferred gaming input for PC, but at least you have controller support without having to pay money for some BS adapter. The WiFi adapter I included is absolutely fine, it supports up to 150mbps transfer speeds, which is more than what 90% of people have. That PSU is absolutely fine for lower end builds, no overclocking will be done. EVGA actually make decent lower end PSUs. The HDD point is correct, but I didn't want to go too far over budget to push people away. And $70 for 3GB more of VRAM isn't worth it for a build of this caliber.

32 minutes ago, Deli said:

BTW, you may be right about productivity, upgradability, etc. But certainly not aesthetics. Those cheap PC cases are the ugliest thing in the world. No way I'll ever put one of those in my living room.

I agree as well, but if aesthetics is your thing, you can just switch out the case and ram for a nicer looking case and ram with heatsinks, throw in a few LED fans and you should be good. This won't set you back too much at all.

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i would make different choices for $500 rather than that specific PC, because all you said is very true :P

you know it happens every time MS talks Xbone.

Put together a list, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

29 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

I don't see a problem with having a slightly larger case, it isn't full ATX, it's a Micro ATX Mini Tower. 

The Xbox has an advantage for being compact and you can place virtually anywhere, not that it's a problem to have ATX tower

I don't see a problem with having a slightly larger case, it isn't full ATX, it's a Micro ATX Mini Tower. Keyboard/Mouse is the preferred gaming input for PC, but at least you have controller support without having to pay money for some BS adapter. The WiFi adapter I included is absolutely fine, it supports up to 150mbps transfer speeds, which is more than what 90% of people have. .

1. Xbox One controller has support for Bluetooth so if you get a decent wireless adapter you won't need a adapter for it

2. Speed doesn't matter, that Wifi will not be reliable at all, especially when it's also USB and the fact that Amazon page of it has 3 star rating and only 3 reviews

. And $70 for 3GB more of VRAM isn't worth it for a build of this caliber.

You do know 1060 3gb amd 6gb difference isn't only VRAM right? 

27 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

Put together a list, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Other: Xbox One X ($499.00)
Total: $499.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 07:48 EDT-0400

22 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The Xbox has an advantage for being compact and you can place virtually anywhere, not that it's a problem to have ATX tower

1. Xbox One controller has support for Bluetooth so if you get a decent wireless adapter you won't need a adapter for it

2. Speed doesn't matter, that Wifi will not be reliable at all, especially when it's also USB and the fact that Amazon page of it has 3 star rating and only 3 reviews

Firstly, did you actually read the reviews?

"The software compression is awesome and my mom's computer was getting 158Mbps as opposed to my newer laptop could only reliably hold signal at 58Mbps at same time/place. With that caution it a great alternative to having to go to your local computer store for a wifi upgrade or install."

"This was pretty good. Shipped on time, but it didn't give me the distance for connection I wanted. My iPod gets better connection from my room than this... It's a great product if you are close to your router/modem!"

Of course, for $6 it won't be a fantastic adapter. But it's honestly good enough...

And secondly.

- http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2604-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-benchmark-review/page-3

See the FPS difference? It's literally 1-2FPS... Games don't use that much VRAM... I play some pretty demanding games on my R9 380 2GB GPU and it does pretty well.

16 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Other: Xbox One X ($499.00)
Total: $499.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 07:48 EDT-0400

That's the best you could come up with? Pitiful.

Honestly I could give less than two shits. My only complaint is how consoles all of a sudden went to this bloody 4K hype train and like everyone wants 4k. No I don't 4K Sony and Microsoft when you guys fucking fail at even making modern games barely run at 1080P with 60FPS. Shit a majority of games don't even hit 1080P and they just jump the train and say " 4K IS THE NEW THING" 

Newsflash 4K only appears for TV's and monitors that support the bloody thing. So even if I do get a 4K capable device which I do ( The PS4 PRO) I can't even use 4K settings anyway so it doesn't matter. Also if a majority of Microsoft Games are going to be released on Windows 10 then why bother with getting the Xbox X if you already have a PC? Again I can see why people might want it if they don't have a console or anything else.

But the bottom line here is that consoles are trying to be like PC's because they know they're failing in the power department heavily. And fail to realize that the more they try to get bigger numbers they fail at making their normal products even achieve 1080P.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Honestly I could give less than two shits. My only complaint is how consoles all of a sudden went to this bloody 4K hype train and like everyone wants 4k. No I don't 4K Sony and Microsoft when you guys fucking fail at even making modern games barely run at 1080P with 60FPS. Shit a majority of games don't even hit 1080P and they just jump the train and say " 4K IS THE NEW THING" 

Newsflash 4K only appears for TV's and monitors that support the bloody thing. So even if I do get a 4K capable device which I do ( The PS4 PRO) I can't even use 4K settings anyway so it doesn't matter. Also if a majority of Microsoft Games are going to be released on Windows 10 then why bother with getting the Xbox X if you already have a PC? Again I can see why people might want it if they don't have a console or anything else.

But the bottom line here is that consoles are trying to be like PC's because they know they're failing in the power department heavily. And fail to realize that the more they try to get bigger numbers they fail at making their normal products even achieve 1080P.

I 100% agree with this. The majority of people don't even have 4K monitors/TVs... I would've preferred Microsoft to put together a console that smashes out ALL games at 60FPS 1080P with graphics settings comparable to PC @ Ultra. Now THAT would be a console worth considering, especially if it's priced at ~$300, since the majority of people have 1080P monitors/TVs..

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Honestly, I don't get the whole thing about " Place it virtually anywhere" literally all we do with consoles is leave them in one spot like a TV or a monitor same thing PC. You can literally place it anywhere too, you can place it on the side if you really wanna, of course with components side up not down.   

Controllers, I can plug any old controller into my PC and tada controller. PS3 controller, Xbox controller, all I need is a Bluetooth adapter. 

WIfi strength depends on how far you are from the source if anything AC if you're less than a couple meters away so you get all the power or get powerline and do that. 

VRAM I guess it depends on what settings you use. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

16 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

"The software compression is awesome and my mom's computer was getting 158Mbps as opposed to my newer laptop could only reliably hold signal at 58Mbps at same time/place. With that caution it a great alternative to having to go to your local computer store for a wifi upgrade or install."

"This was pretty good. Shipped on time, but it didn't give me the distance for connection I wanted. My iPod gets better connection from my room than this... It's a great product if you are close to your router/modem!"

Yeah the review coming from someone who connects their ipod and their mom... 

It's great if you are close to the modem,so if you are far that adapter is as good as a decoration

16 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

Of course, for $6 it won't be a fantastic adapter. But it's honestly good enough...

And secondly.

- http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2604-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-benchmark-review/page-3

See the FPS difference? It's literally 1-2FPS... Games don't use that much VRAM... I play some pretty demanding games on my R9 380 2GB GPU and it does pretty well.

That review was too old

9 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Honestly, I don't get the whole thing about " Place it virtually anywhere" literally all we do with consoles is leave them in one spot like a TV or a monitor same thing PC. You can literally place it anywhere too, you can place it on the side if you really wanna, of course with components side up not down.   

Controllers, I can plug any old controller into my PC and tada controller. PS3 controller, Xbox controller, all I need is a Bluetooth adapter. 

WIfi strength depends on how far you are from the source if anything AC if you're less than a couple meters away so you get all the power or get powerline and do that. 

VRAM I guess it depends on what settings you use. 

I meant smaller form factor lets you have more options to place it

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I meant smaller form factor lets you have more options to place it

I mean I guess. Literally, the only factor preventing from placing it anywhere you want is how long the cord you got is. Short cord and it doesn't matter if you can stuff it into a teddy bear, no cord, no video, no graphics, no games.

Yeah the review coming from someone who connects their ipod and their mom... 

It's great if you are close to the modem,so if you are far that adapter is as good as a decoration

That review was too old

From what I can see, the max FPS difference was around 10 with pretty much all the games tested getting over 60FPS on the 3GB 1060... Which is a big difference, especially when we're going to be playing games on a 60Hz monitor... where visual FPS difference above 60 is very minimal.

cant we all just understand the fact that microsoft have actually come out with a good value console for once? The Xbox One X is solid value for what you are paying.

17 minutes ago, Mikpwn said:

cant we all just understand the fact that microsoft have actually come out with a good value console for once? The Xbox One X is solid value for what you are paying.

Good value console for once? The Xbox 360 is a fantastic value console, especially with the amazing exclusives it has... Halo Reach was my life for a good 4-5 years, I don't think I'll ever have as much fun gaming as when I did with Reach. Personally, I feel as if the One X isn't a good value console. Its performance is heavily exaggerated, Microsoft are marketing the console as a 4K 60FPS gaming system even though literally only 1 game supports it... I'm not being bias at all, I just think that you can get way better value for the money.

please don' start thing again with a shitty "console killer" with low-quality parts, the gtx 1060 comes nowhere near 6tflops. let people enjoy whatever they want, no one cares which is "better", it's all subjective anyway.   

well , the xbx comes in at 6Tflops . that's roughly 10% more than an rx 480 , and you get good old console optimization.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, Mikpwn said:

Ultimately, if you can't accept that there are other gaming platforms that other people are perfectly fine with, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's like you're needing a constant comparison with what you have to what's out there in order to feel justified spending to what is for most people a crap-ton more of money.

Would someone kindly explain to me why a game console running a game at 4K but -not- with a quality setting that would be equivalent to 'Ultra' is a bad thing?  Is every PC gamer playing every game at Ultra?  Cause I see a lot of the builds on this forum and a lot of those users most certainly won't be running their PC games with everything cranked up to Ultra.  Why are people so happy to dump on a console for not running at settings all maxed out but people aren't laughing anyone off this forum any time they buy something less than a GTX 1080?

Last night I was playing Life Is Strange, at 4K, on a Radeon HD 7950 3GB... At the 'Medium' preset mind you.  I suppose I could lash myself for not running at ultra but ya know, I was more focused on my utter failure to stop Kate from jumping off the dorm.

...RIP Kate. :(

But in all seriousness, maybe instead of attacking consoles for not having every possible graphical setting cranked up to 11, we should instead have more conversations on 'What settings in what games get you 'Good Enough' while enjoying a 4K rendering resolution.'?

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Last night I was playing Life Is Strange, at 4K, on a Radeon HD 7950 3GB... At the 'Medium' preset mind you.  I suppose I could lash myself for not running at ultra but ya know, I was more focused on my utter failure to stop Kate from jumping off the dorm.

...RIP Kate. :(

You play LIS for Story not for graphics

not sure if this is unpopular opinion but i find it a bit of a good thing that the Xbox one X is as powerful as it is. means that Play Anywhere titles will actually work pretty well on PC, heck perhaps even better than the Xbox if given the leeway to implement further setttings to increase visual fidelity + higher/consistent frame rates. because admittedly consoles still control most of where the game industry is going. 

You play LIS for Story not for graphics

Why would I play any game for it's graphics over it's story and/or game-play mechanics?  I play games for the game part of the game. That's why they're called 'games'.  If you were in it for it's graphics first and foremost, you could just play the 3D Mark demos on an infinite loop.

27 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Would someone kindly explain to me why a game console running a game at 4K but -not- with a quality setting that would be equivalent to 'Ultra' is a bad thing?  Is every PC gamer playing every game at Ultra?  Cause I see a lot of the builds on this forum and a lot of those users most certainly won't be running their PC games with everything cranked up to Ultra.  Why are people so happy to dump on a console for not running at settings all maxed out but people aren't laughing anyone off this forum any time they buy something less than a GTX 1080?

On top of that, would any one explain to me why ultra is worthwhile when it barely looks better than the preset below while asking for a ton more GPU power?