Xbox One seen better days.. Need some help!

aarondatechguy

Evening All,

So I have this Xbox One recovered from a house fire. That happened 4months ago and while removing the whole we found it.

The unbelievable thing is it actually still works. 

I have cleaned boards before nothing like this.

Looking for some suggestions about the best way to do it.

I was thinking of submerging it in Isopropyl alcohol and then just gently rubbing it off with a microfibre cloth but just not sure how the capacitors and stuff will go submerged.

Even a bit concerned about the APU. I need to work out how to take the cross bracket thing off and obviously I would replace the thermal paste but yeah, more just want a bit of guidance 

Has no value to me, just doing it for something to do. We played on it for about an hour this arvo and didn't have any trouble.

TIA

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

910FE828-2D9D-4B3D-98C3-7F3F849BC03B.jpg

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

CPU: AMD R5-1600X @4.1 GHz/1.416v, GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3gb, RAM: 2x8gb Crucial, Mobo: MSI B350 Pro Mate, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 X, Case: Cooler Master Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

Evening,

The main board has been soaking in alcohol now for a few days.

Used a delicate foundation brush to gently rub the black crap off.

pretty good result. 

Now waiting to dry and then new thermal paste and put back together

Aaron

IMG_2314.JPG

CPU: AMD R5-1600X @4.1 GHz/1.416v, GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3gb, RAM: 2x8gb Crucial, Mobo: MSI B350 Pro Mate, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 X, Case: Cooler Master Enforcer

Oh my god. that is one dirty board. Nice work on cleaning it! cant believe it still works

Oh? Well hello there! Notice me please!

Specs!

CPU: A AMD A10 APU

HDD: like, 1 terabyte

RAM: 2x4 gig sticks of kingston DDR3

GPU: heheh- the amd A10 APU with radeon graphics oh wow

PSU: What ever is inside this thing

MOBO: same thing as the psu

Hah. this is my laptop. spooked.

Hey hey,

so have a bit of an update. After letting the components dry in air from the alcohol, I put the system back together and amazingly it still works are almost 2 weeks submerged in isopropyl alcohol.

Using a soft foundation brush, I gently rubbed all the soot away. To a fantastic result. (Previous post)

Here are some pictures from the reassembly process. The tin was quiet hard to clean, so in the end I just left it. It's only cosmetic at this point.

The Xbox is a original release, so it does have some visual wear and tear but all in all, I am super happy with the result. 

The APU has new thermal paste. 

The hard drive I didn't worry about cleaning the top, as any pressure can potentially damage the internals, so I have spoken with the owner, and we are looking at just replacing it if we have trouble with it.

Because of the paper sticker on the Bluray drive it was quiet hard to clean the top of that.

All in all, it is a completely functional Xbox STILL just 1000x cleaning and a less fire hazard

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

First time turning it one. Fires up, and is recognised via hdmi to my capture card

Sweet! i call that a win. was the fan damaged? because the xbox one already has super hot temps and problems with over heating, and i wonder if this xbone will suffer from high temps.

Specs!

Fan was fine. Had the system running Forza 5 for over an hour and like you said thermals are already pretty high in the console. But this seemed to work just fine. Fan sped up when it needed to.

Happy Days all round

Just now, aarondatechguy said:

Fan was fine. Had the system running Forza 5 for over an hour and like you said thermals are already pretty high in the console. But this seemed to work just fine. Fan sped up when it needed to.

Happy Days all round

Woot woot!!

Specs!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be worried about the optical drive.  The inside of that probably got a bit of soot in it too, have you tried a disk in it?