Hyper Evo 212 in My Case

I've recently been overclocking my fx-6300. Surprisingly the stock cooler has held up pretty well, despite numerous posts on forums that it wouldn't be good at all.

I've been able to overclock to 3.8GHz stable, 3.9 will boot but crash soon after. My temps could be better, but for a stock cooler, I think they're pretty ok, but I might be wrong. The temps level out at 65C on AIDA64.

Voltages I haven't messed with, I've left it at auto; but I suspect it's not actually changing it, which may be why it crashes? I don't really want to mess with the voltage until I have a cooler that can handle the higher temps better.

I don't have a lot in the budget right now, so I was looking at the Hyper Evo 212. I want to get at least to 4.0GHz on my PC, I think the 212 should be able to handle that.

The question is, can my case handle the cooler? This is my case.

I've searched everywhere, but I can't find a definitive answer. Some say yes, some say no. I'd like to hear from somebody who maybe has experience with this case or one of the same width. This would be my first CPU cooler upgrade, so I'm quite the novice in this regard.

If it can't be done, I'd like to hear from you guys what cooler might do the trick. I researched the Hyper T2, but I'm just not sure, as I've read some reviews saying the build quality was low and the fan was quite loud.

Thanks in advance!

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

Not the 212. Usually stock is better. Stay with stock until you can get Dark Rock Pro or Noctua NH D14 or D15.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Well first off, the 212 EVO is a bad value cooler pretty much everywhere. Look for the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, it's cheap and way, way better.

Looking at the case dimensions, it will fit. :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, JDE said:

Not the 212. Usually stock is better. Stay with stock until you can get Dark Rock Pro or Noctua NH D14 or D15.

Dude those are like, $70 lol

The Gammaxx is quote-on-quote the $25 NH-U14S

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460.html

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, JDE said:

The NH D15 is what I'm planning on using when I upgrade my entire PC, but that's quite a ways away before I have that cash

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Well first off, the 212 EVO is a bad value cooler pretty much everywhere. Look for the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, it's cheap and way, way better.

Looking at the case dimensions, it will fit. :)

This looks nice, does it come with thermal paste or should I buy some with it?

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

I have a hyper 212 on the FX-6300 in the work tower, if that rear exhaust fan fits a 120mm fan then the 212 should just barely clear

Case looks to have 120mm rear slot and not lot space around it. Can you measure distance from CPU socket to side panel? My guess is that you can't get much taller than 150mm coolers. So M9a would probably be best pick. If available to you.

As for crashing while OC, usually that is either too high clocks or not enough voltage to support clocks. More clocks means that CPU needs more juice to run them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

As for crashing while OC, usually that is either too high clocks or not enough voltage to support clocks. More clocks means that CPU needs more juice to run them.

That's what I thought, my voltage is set to auto, but I'm pretty sure it's not working correctly, so I'd have to manually set it.

DELETE! DELETE!

Silence will fall.

2 hours ago, Macimoar said:

That's what I thought, my voltage is set to auto, but I'm pretty sure it's not working correctly, so I'd have to manually set it.

Leaving it to auto isn't recommended to begin with. But I guess older AMD handles that better than newer Intel.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am using a hyper 212 Evo and fx6300@4.6ghz. Works great and I hit around 60c. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man