PWM fan control issues

bpw87
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Lets start by saying that your mobo isn't really PWM friendly. Only CPU_FAN has true PWM controls. Other headers only support DC controls, except SYS_FAN4 which isn' controllable. Besides that, Gigabytes own software is pure crap. Profiles for CPU_FAN work somewhat well, but you can't do any more specific curve controlling.

So only option for that is Speedfan. With it you need to select correct controlling chip from settings, and leave controls from BIOS to auto. Here's my very crude take on how to do setup

This is how I did it on same chipset mobo that you have, UD3H and later with D3H. Speedfan can control DC fans while Gigabytes own software really can't.

I'm having trouble controlling fans either through BIOS or Speedfan. Bios won't ramp them up enough when controlled by PWM and Speedfan is ramping them up way too much down low and PC suddenly becomes a wind turbine with any form of temp above idle.

I have a Fractal S36 AIO as an intake with it's three PWM fans run through on it's inbuilt header to the CPU header. Than three more EK Vardar PWM fans as exhausts daisy chained to a single header.

What I want ideally is to be able to ramp the CPU / intake fans when the GPUs get over a certain temp as well as normally ramp up for CPU temp like it already does.

I also want the exhaust fans to be controlled by taking temps from both GPU1 and CPU and ramp up as temps increase if either get hot enough.

At the moment I can barely OC my GPUs as they thermal throttle without the chassis fans spinning up as well.

GPU fans I control through MSI Afterburner and they ramp up and down as wanted

03.JPG

Lets start by saying that your mobo isn't really PWM friendly. Only CPU_FAN has true PWM controls. Other headers only support DC controls, except SYS_FAN4 which isn' controllable. Besides that, Gigabytes own software is pure crap. Profiles for CPU_FAN work somewhat well, but you can't do any more specific curve controlling.

So only option for that is Speedfan. With it you need to select correct controlling chip from settings, and leave controls from BIOS to auto. Here's my very crude take on how to do setup

This is how I did it on same chipset mobo that you have, UD3H and later with D3H. Speedfan can control DC fans while Gigabytes own software really can't.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I ended up getting it sorted out through Speedfan. Not sure exactly what I changed but it started to work when I played with a few settings. Now I have Task Schedular start Speedfan at startup and everything works perfectly. Thanks