Looking in to buying a Nintendo Switch but is it worth it?

Marshnt

Have one and love it. BotW itself was worth it but Mario Odyssey looks scrumptious.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

The best way to get a switch is probably to ask ur local places when is the switch going to be in stock and come the day they are in stock

prime 4 boi

On 2017-6-19 at 9:06 PM, Shiv78 said:

Yup. Also it lagged so far behind in terms of hardware that nobody stopped to consider the insane amount of optimization Nintendo has and also their unique games.

The issue wasn't that it was a weak piece of hardware so much. There have been plenty of underpowered consoles that have sold well. The problem with the Wii U was that it lacked any clear reason to be underpowered. The PS2 had a DVD player, the Wii was cheap and had motion controls, the Switch is portable. The Wii U had a portable component that wasn't really that portable and cost about as much as the other platforms.

I reckon what happened with the Wii U is that Nintendo got some research that said the majority of people who played portable systems played them at home. So they went all in on the idea of a semi-portable gaming machine with HD graphics. Before they could realistically make a proper portable machine that was powerful enough to do it. And consumers got a confused message about a home console that's portable as long as you play infront of the TV its connected to.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

i would say so, i love my switch. 

I've been looking into getting a Nintendo Switch recently but I just can't seem to push myself to pay that much for what I am getting. Even if I could get one at MSRP I think I'd still feel like I was massively over paying for a Switch. So I am not sure yet

Looks like the Platinum games from Wii-U might be coming to the Switch. Getting Bayonetta 2 would make the Switch a pretty much must buy for me, though I'll probably wait until Christmas to see if there is a good bundle (plus I have a back catalog of PC, PS4, and PS3 games I already bought that will easily last me the year).

I really hope the Switch's strong sales can finally make Bayonetta 2 highly profitable so we can get a third game in the series.

7 hours ago, ripper101 said:

I've been looking into getting a Nintendo Switch recently but I just can't seem to push myself to pay that much for what I am getting. Even if I could get one at MSRP I think I'd still feel like I was massively over paying for a Switch. So I am not sure yet

then don't get it, if you are wrong if you think you are "overpaying" for it, even at MSRP, the switch is a very innovative console having both TV and handheld mode, combined with that the chipset can support features like 4k Netflix( the chipset has 4k decoding) if Nintendo allows it to, Zelda breath of the wild is also one of the best games available, i have over 350 hr of it, not even close to exploring everything, switch is also getting bunch of other titles, most of the games are 60fps.on console multiplayer/ LAN multiplayer games are what makes it one of the best console in this generation. 

On 6/17/2017 at 7:44 PM, Theguywhobea said:

Where can you even get one at MSRP these days?

I got myself one 3 weeks after launch for 500$ sure it's 500$ but it came with Mario cart 8, botw, botw expansion and a 128 gb micro sd card

On 6/19/2017 at 7:56 AM, Shiv78 said:

No, the Wii U was just shit and didn't sell much. Hell, the Wii had friggin COD on it! How's that for third party support?

Wii U had no 3rd party support trust me I have one cod doesn't mean sh** for the Wii U cuz no one bought it 

6 hours ago, Gamerguy207 said:

I got myself one 3 weeks after launch for 500$ sure it's 500$ but it came with Mario cart 8, botw, botw expansion and a 128 gb micro sd card

still a little over what you should've paid but not bad deal

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

On 7/16/2017 at 10:55 AM, nerdslayer1 said:

then don't get it, if you are wrong if you think you are "overpaying" for it, even at MSRP, the switch is a very innovative console having both TV and handheld mode, combined with that the chipset can support features like 4k Netflix( the chipset has 4k decoding) if Nintendo allows it to, Zelda breath of the wild is also one of the best games available, i have over 350 hr of it, not even close to exploring everything, switch is also getting bunch of other titles, most of the games are 60fps.on console multiplayer/ LAN multiplayer games are what makes it one of the best console in this generation. 

botw is on pc too though via cemu

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no it's not that's a very broken experience also piracy 

They've actually made a lot of progress with that emulator

You can take this for an example

Just now, ripper101 said:

They've actually made a lot of progress with that emulator

that's not vary stable, also piracy on a such a good game is such a shame. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

that's not vary stable, also piracy on a such a good game is such a shame. 

I'm sure with how much profit they make over-pricing the Switch makes up for it. 

over-pricing the Switch

how is the switch overpriced? it seems priced right to me, considering how much it will cost to develop a new system. 

how is the switch overpriced? it seems priced right to me, considering how much it will cost to develop a new system. 

They didn't have to develop much because most of the technology is ready there and they just implemented it differently. Imo a Switch should be 200-250 dollars, but that's just me 

They didn't have to develop much because most of the technology is ready there and they just implemented it differently. Imo a Switch should be 200-250 dollars, but that's just me 

no, how was the technology there? this is the most powerful handheld of its time. 

1 minute ago, ripper101 said:

just implemented it differently.

so... no engineering cost? 

1 minute ago, ripper101 said:

Imo a Switch should be 200-250 dollars,

what about development cost, and engineering cost, it does cost a lot to make a handheld that's decent with detachable controllers. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no, how was the technology there? this is the most powerful handheld of its time. 

cpu/gpu from nvidia 

storage 32gb (lol)

720p touch screen (lol)

They basically just improved on the Wii U anyway (technology ready there)

Maybe in their next iteration, they can improve on the 3hr battery life and the $0.50 plastic dock

All-in-all you don't need to keep telling me how good it is because I know. I think the price is too high and that's just my opinion and is why I will hold off getting it until it at least drops to msrp. 

9 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

cpu/gpu from nvidia 

ok..... so no modification? 

storage 32gb (lol)

..ok

720p touch screen (lol)

really good quality screen, you have owned one how would you know, thare are more than resolution to a screen. 

They basically just improved on the Wii U anyway (technology ready there)

wii u was more of a prototype switch 

-257  to 260$ to make  https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/06/nintendo-switch-estimated-to-cost-257-to-manufacture/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/nintendo_switch_teardown_suggests_production_cost_is_around_usd260_per_unit

Its only worth if you like the switch exclusives. Like zelda, mk8, and xenoblade chronicles 

On 7/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, ripper101 said:

They're selling out at $300. Why would Nintendo charge $200?

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

They're selling out at $300. Why would Nintendo charge $200?

the switch costs about 257 to 260$ to make, they would lose a lot of money if they sell it for 200$. 

the switch costs about 257 to 260$ to make, they would lose a lot of money if they sell it for 200$. 

Even if they cost $1 to make they're selling out at $300 though, so no reason to sell any lower. 

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Even if they cost $1 to make they're selling out at $300 though, so no reason to sell any lower. 

.... to sell more units, Nintendo makes most of the profit from software.