Nas external help

Hello I've ordered the parts for pc. I didn't go with internal storage but looking at a external nas. I have a unifi 16port Poe switch and currently use it for 2 hard wired pcs 4 cameras and I have 6 unifi wall socket type access points thrue out house. I want to have a raid array for storage for cameras a media storage for movies over network and 2 patitions for business storage and personal storage what options do I have. Can I do that with a 4 bay or do I need more as I want redundancy in case of a hhd failure. Can I get a standalone unit like a synogy system or do I haft to go full server rack I have a budget of $1500 with drives any help would be awesome 

A pre built NAS would probably be fine. But you are  way more felxible with a custom built one.

Resons for pre built:

• easy setup
  • no need to setup up the whole system with an OS and so on
  • proably easy configuration

Reasons for custom built:

• upgradebility/expandebility
  • Custom Stuff like Filesystem RAID (which is the best option (Btrfs, ZFS))
  • you get regular updates (security, features, bugfixes, and so on)
  • You aren't limited to what the manufacturer of the NAS let's you use featurewise

I hope this was helpful to you.

do you already have software that manages your cameras and everything related to it?

if not you may want to look into a Synology NAS which has a build in surveillance system that works with many different cameras.

On 17/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, Dr.Fr4nk3n5731n said:

A pre built NAS would probably be fine. But you are  way more felxible with a custom built one.

Resons for pre built:

• easy setup
  • no need to setup up the whole system with an OS and so on
  • proably easy configuration

Reasons for custom built:

• upgradebility/expandebility
  • Custom Stuff like Filesystem RAID (which is the best option (Btrfs, ZFS))
  • you get regular updates (security, features, bugfixes, and so on)
  • You aren't limited to what the manufacturer of the NAS let's you use featurewise

I hope this was helpful to you.

Synology updates their OS quite frequently... like once a month.

I have a bunch of Different NAS units in my network.  Here's a breakdown about how I feel about them:

Home/Pre-Built FreeNAS - (Dell T3500; Xeon L5520; 16GB DDR3R; Primary 275GB MX300 SSD; 2x 4-Port PCI-E SATA 6 RAID controller cards) Good expandability, easy to use. uses a lot of power, fairly bulky.  Takes time to learn but not too difficult to figure out. 
Drobo (FS & 5N) - Good units, but insanely sensitive about the drives it operates with.  Sensitive as it will use any drive, but if it cannot handle 24/7 operation, Drobo WILL work it to death.  I've found that the Drobo is harsh, even on NAS drives.  Rock solid most of the time, when a drive hasn't failed.  Many times the drive is still good, but just not enough for the Drobo.
Synology (1515+ & 1815+) - The 1515+ is probably my favorite NAS, but they're both excellent machines.  Have some limited upgradability, but they upgrade pretty easy with what is available.  Haven't pushed the unit anywhere near the max, anyway.  Interface is highly intuitive and no troubles whatsoever in setup and management.