People's negative experiences with certain brands

So i've been a PC user for just about 2 years now and already i've pretty much done a full system re build going from AM3 to ryzen 5 and in that time i have had quite a bad experience from one manufacturer which is MSI. In my old rig i had an MSI 970 AM3 motherboard which completely died after about a year of use with no real reason or explanation behind it and i recently purchased another MSI motherboard for ryzen and now the BIOS just keeps freezing everytime i try to use it (if you have an idea on how i can fix this please comment it down bellow). which got me to wondering has anyone else had bad experiences with products from a certain company or is it just me who has had bad luck with just one company?

3 minutes ago, Squibbies18 said:

So i've been a PC user for just about 2 years now and already i've pretty much done a full system re build going from AM3 to ryzen 5 and in that time i have had quite a bad experience from one manufacturer which is MSI. In my old rig i had an MSI 970 AM3 motherboard which completely died after about a year of use with no real reason or explanation behind it and i recently purchased another MSI motherboard for ryzen and now the BIOS just keeps freezing everytime i try to use it (if you have an idea on how i can fix this please comment it down bellow). which got me to wondering has anyone else had bad experiences with products from a certain company or is it just me who has had bad luck with just one company?

AM2/AM3 Msi boards... I have had 3 of those boards die on me. I haven't bought msi since. Maybe their other stuff is good not really sure, but when 3 of their boards die on you it surely doesn't make you want to buy more of their products.

7 minutes ago, Squibbies18 said:

I had a dodgy z87 MSI board and that has kept me from buying any MSI board. Only sticking to Asus motherboards for now.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Had issues with ASUS for video cards and Gigabyte for motherboards.  The support/warranty experience and general lack of interest in doing the bare minimum or not even that in terms of support and understanding has prevented me from buying more of their products.  At least I feel like a person when I speak to Fractal Design, Phanteks, or eVGA.  I'm not saying that all support agents that work for ASUS and Gigabyte will treat me the same way...but it was bad enough over several calls and emails for each issue that it really turned me off those companies.

intel socket 1155 for ivy bridge

motherboards keep dying for me

Buffalo.

First I had an external harddrive died on the first plug-in (yes the very first time out of the box)

Then some years later I bought a router (wasn't a techie yet) which died very quickly. Brought it to RMA and was told it was recalled, replaced with a higher end one. That one was still garbage and flawed.

So it's on my blacklist forever. 

Most of time it's really just bad luck. But there are companies just make bad products.

Worst experience I've had with any company was Zotac.... I got a gtx 580 soon after launch and it kept crashing in games. (Tested in multiple pcs no change) I emailed customer service which took over a week to even respond. ( I found out later groom the zotac forums there is literally one guy dealing with RMAs) anyway I send the card in it takes over a month to get the card back, finally arrives at my house and the first thing I check is to see if it's my original card,  which it was not a new one. Get everything back up and running in my pc, download new drivers and..... crashes about 10 min into games again. E mailed CS again and I get a response days later that there's nothing wrong with my card, they couldn't replicate the issue. I was obviously pissed and complained saying I would like a new card not mine returned back to me, they proceeded to tell me I was sent a new card to be sure I didn't have any issues, which was complete bs.

I ended up giving the card to my buddy and buying a evga 580 and never had an issue again. 

I swore to never buy Zotac again because of this.  I dont care if they have improved as a company, nothing would make me purchase their products again. 

Intel 2500K @ 5GHz,Corsair H100i, MSI Z68 GD65, GTX 970 STRIX, 16GB G Skill Sniper, Seasonic X750, 250 GB Samsung 840pro SSDs in Raid 0, Corsair 650D.

any club3d, in my time of working in pc hardware sales and building i have seen almost as many club3d gpu's getting returned with some sort of defect.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

8 hours ago, ZTech said:

I wonder if that was something to due with a mb incompatibility, but still only 1 guy for rma's... 

Logitech.

Had two sets of Z506 speakers, both had defective power buttons on the control speaker. The first set was malfunctioning since you were able to hear plenty of static coming trough the speaker set, without anything being played in the background.

The second set seemed fine at first... a few months later and it had pretty much the same problem. Will never buy speakers from them again, in terms of audio oriented products at least since their webcams are pretty dope and resilient.

G.Skill.

1st impressions werent cool at all... a 32GB ram kit died in less than 2 months and had to be replaced too soon. I got the 2nd kit now, and it is still working, but the memory still exists. Altough its been quite a while and no issues so far :P. I suppose i can give G.Skill another chance and if i can, get a new kit from them for a future CPU/mobo upgrade.

Asus.

Jeez... my 1st MX239H was in the process of dying because of a prominent shadowy grey area on the display, dont know how to feel about that honestly. 2nd monitor is here, same monitor and all, but i want upgrade since its not exactly a very vivid panel and its too reflective for my taste. I guess i can also forgive them, since they make some of the best products out there, but i dont like their gaming monitor aesthetics anyways and their QC issues are widely known... ill pass on Asus displays in the future perhaps.

EVGA

My GTX 770 S/ACX died recently, and it lasted about 4 years. I was expecting it to last until replaced, so i suppose EVGA is another brand i wont be buying from again in terms of GPUs, it just died too fast and no conclusive answer was withdrawn from its death.

Samsung

Oh boy... yeah, they make excellent hardware but their smartphone QC and software experience is... horrendous (past and continuous personal experience). Great home appliances and computer hardware, but aside from that, their smartphones are an infinite NOPE for me, at least in the future.

Groomlake Authority

Been building PC's since 1995...

ASUS - Motherboard issues on X79 Rampage IV and loud optical disc drive. Have been leary of their products ever since. They seem to have a tendency to rush certain parts to market without enough QA. RMA takes forever and customer support is a roll of the dice.

Corsair - Bought a case and tried to swap out the fans. Vibrations from fans even with rubber screws caused constant humming. Put the fans back in my CM case...no problems. Returned case, got my money back. They also would not let me RMA an all-in-one liquid cooler and have avoided Corsair ever since. Phantek man now days.

EVGA - Had a rep who was kind of short with me via email. Complained and explained how I have been a customer for many years. Got a decent-sized discount on a EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified! Stuck with the brand. Had coil whine on GTX 760 but it went away on its own after a few days. EVGA customer service is second to none. Intel is up there too. Mostly stick with EVGA or MSI for graphics, but occasionally buy other brands too. Have had good cards from all the brands. Currently own an EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Gaming with zero issues.

Gigabyte - Had one Sniper motherboard DOA. Isolated incident, still occasionally buy Gigabyte. ASRock and MSI are usually my go to brands for mobos though.

InWin - Email response was extremely rude. Complained and was met with an equally rude response. Disowned the brand completely.

Logitech - Have Z623 speakers that get more quiet every year which rules out motherboard audio. Also have a wireless mouse that has been having an unintensional double click. Years ago they used to be a go to brand but seem to be cutting too many corners on quality these days.

NZXT - Had some little plastic pieces that broke off of a case. Reported to NZXT and they quickly replaced. Did not disown them, but avoided their cases ever since.

XFX - Had motherboard issues back in the days of LGA 775. Support and RMA took forever. Avoided ever since.

Logitech , when it comes to the g930 headset .

It seems to be incredibly susceptible to interference , and their software just won't work for some reason .Every time i run it , it creates constant disconnections, which doesn't happen when it doesn't run. 

It's a shame because i need it for 7.1 . I'm stuck on stereo now .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Pissed off with biostar rn, got an x370 gt3 and the top right led emits red light... all the time... EVEN WHEN THE PC IS OFF.  Its supposed to be rgb and I wouldn'tcare but I hate red leds.  I would prefer dead lol.  Customer support dropped me as soon as they heard a whiff of rma talk and now I'm kinda stranded >:( would have preferred asrock anyways but the Biostar had the best vrms so its what I've got.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

22 minutes ago, ShmooZ said:

NZXT - Had some little plastic pieces that broke off of a case. Reported to NZXT and they quickly replaced. Did not disown them, but avoided their cases ever since.

Their cases are basically all metal now, the only plastic on my case are the feet

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Here is a list of brands I've had issues with over the past 10+ years working in the IT and computer repair field:

Spoiler
  • Acer
  • AMD
  • Apple
  • Arris
  • ASRock
  • ASUS
  • Biostar
  • Broadcom
  • Dell
  • EVGA
  • Foxconn
  • Gigabyte
  • Hitachi
  • HP
  • HTC
  • Intel
  • Lenovo
  • Motorola
  • MSI
  • nVidia
  • Qualcomm
  • Samsung
  • Seagate
  • Toshiba
  • VIA
  • Western Digital

You'll notice this list contains a rather large number of computer hardware manufacturers and consumer brands. This is because in my time dealing with products from all the above companies, I have had at lease one product from each manufacturer fail or malfunction prior to it's end-of-life expectancy. Why am I basically saying that all companies have product failures? Because they do. Shit breaks, wears out, or has defects. Nothing is perfect.

So don't let this one failure with your MSI board get you down about MSI, as I can count 6 different systems all running MSI Intel and AMD socket boards manufactured within the last 3 years that have zero problems. I can equally name about 4 or 5 systems that had Gigabyte boards from the last 4 years fail, and yet my Gigabyte AM2/AM3 boards from 2008 and 2009 are still functioning like new.

But I'd better throw them out because my friends systems with Gigabyte boards died. Right? :D (Kidding of course, because a problem with a single product does not mean all a manufacturer's products are bad.) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 6/17/2017 at 6:06 PM, ZTech said:

I ended up giving the card to my buddy and buying a evga 580 and never had an issue again. 

Wait but the card was useless right? What did your buddy do with it?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Based on the law of averages you will find at least one or two people (or given the number of active users here maybe a lot more) that have had issues with every brand.  The more popular a brand is e.g gigabyte and asus motherboards the more of those will be reported.  

I am not to sure what you hope to get out of this thread.  

Just in case you were wondering hardware failure rates are typically less than 1%, and more prominent for home/generic/whitebox systems than prebuilt by larger OEM's like dell, HP, etc.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131739-microsoft-analyzes-over-a-million-pc-failures-results-shatter-enthusiast-myths

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

More data needed

The limitations of the study are such that we can’t draw absolute conclusions from this data...

Not sure how viable that data is if it says that at the bottom of the article. 

But yes bigger brands will have more bad products overall then smaller ones and certain products of the brand will have more issues than others. A person should judge a company more on support experience over anything else.

7 hours ago, AustinJ said:

Not sure how viable that data is if it says that at the bottom of the article. 

But yes bigger brands will have more bad products overall then smaller ones and certain products of the brand will have more issues than others. A person should judge a company more on support experience over anything else.

The article was not intended to support some sort of absolute ideal, but more to inspire a deeper consideration of how quality is not all that it seems,  especially if you are relying on people posting their experience on a forum.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, LUUD18 said:

Wait but the card was useless right? What did your buddy do with it?

Used it for a over kill physic card and bitcoin mining, it seemed to work great at anything that didn't involve outputting video.  then soon before the 680 came out zotac released a bios update for the card which seemed to solve the problem, yet the card would still crash with ANY type of overclock. 

Intel 2500K @ 5GHz,Corsair H100i, MSI Z68 GD65, GTX 970 STRIX, 16GB G Skill Sniper, Seasonic X750, 250 GB Samsung 840pro SSDs in Raid 0, Corsair 650D.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The article was not intended to support some sort of absolute ideal, but more to inspire a deeper consideration of how quality is not all that it seems,  especially if you are relying on people posting their experience on a forum.

I think you are still missing the point of this thread. Every company has failures, it's unavoidable, it's not about that, it's about how these companies treat their customers and help them deal with their issues. 

2 hours ago, ZTech said:

it's about how these companies treat their customers and help them deal with their issues. 

you are exactly right! shit happens.

ive had bad boards and doa cards from basically every manufacturer. what really matters is how the company handles it.  if my board is doa, i'd like a reasonably timed response. i can see waiting 2-3 days for an email, they have shit to do. but 2-3 weeks for any response followed by back and forth emails until the warranty is up, is unacceptable. only having your call center be open from 10am-3pm est and not at all on weekends is unacceptable(i dont remember who it was but holy shit it pissed me off).  if i end up having to reach out to the community manager via social media in order to get technical support, then i refuse to support that company.

i havent had a lot of really aweful experiences in general, but i think microsoft support and acer are some of the worst offenders. and comcast, fuck comcast.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I've been using an MSI Z97 G55 SLI mobo in my rig for almost three years now, the only major problem I've had with it is the CMOS battery died and I have no clue where on the board they hid it... (I didn't look very hard, if it's on the back, then I'll probably just leave the damn thing until I build a new PC...)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 hours ago, ZTech said:

I think you are still missing the point of this thread. Every company has failures, it's unavoidable, it's not about that, it's about how these companies treat their customers and help them deal with their issues. 

I missed nothing here is what the OP asked:

On 6/17/2017 at 6:50 PM, Squibbies18 said:

He purely asks about products and does not mention poor after sales service or even asks if anyone else has.  It's fair to talk about after sales service if you want, but that does not seem to be the whole point of the thread. 

So as I asked before, what is the OP actually hoping to get out of this thread?  Because I have already pointed out that every company has failures so reading about them is not likely to change anything. 

MSI laptops build quality is bad.

Also, the fans on my Gigabyte 7970 is loud...

But my experience with Logitech is really good.

But Like mr moose says, IF OP are going to not buy companies all people here mention, he will not have any companies left to buy stuff from.... There Isnt a single Company where no one have had bad experiences with

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking