Vacuuming my keyboard?

Go to solution Solved by Lorunification,

While there might be a theoretical threat of static electricity, I'd probably lable that as nonsense. Personally, I vacuum my keyboard every other day. These things are pretty tough.

I replaced my old one because someone spilled lemonade over it and the sticky goo made it aweful to type. After getting a new one I just showered the old one. I literally took it into the bathtub and cleaned it with a relatively high preassure water stream and kitchen soap. After letting it sit for a few days it now is like it is brand new. Might have been luck though.

I want to clean my keyboard just because it's noticeably dirty and I don't like it. I haven't spilled anything on it, there's just a lot of crumbs, dirt, food, hair, etc. I have a Corsair Strafe with Cherry MX Brown switches, and I'm writing this post because I read that since vacuuming builds up static electricity that it could potentially kill LEDs.

Obviously I don't want this to happen so if someone could prove/disprove this that would be fantastic! 

Thank you in advance! 

its not ESD safe, canned air would be better or an ESD safe component cleaning fan. i doubt it will kill your keyboard though. have you read any guides on keyboard cleaning? i recommend this one:

1 hour ago, Daniel0898 said:

I'm writing this post because I read that since vacuuming builds up static electricity that it could potentially kill LEDs.

Obviously I don't want this to happen so if someone could prove/disprove this that would be fantastic! 

Thank you in advance!

It'll be fine just vacuum the dam thing. Or shake the it upside down. I'd say dont eat around your pc, but then again do what you like too many people give a shit about what others do with their own things its not funny.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

It'll be fine just vacuum the dam thing. Or shake the it upside down. I'd say dont eat around your pc, but then again do what you like too many people give a shit about what others do with their own things its not funny.

I think maybe he has reached the point where shaking it upside down is no help..

i vacum my 3 pc from time to time they work fine just do fast past dont keep on one spot to long

5 hours ago, tlink said:

its not ESD safe, canned air would be better or an ESD safe component cleaning fan. i doubt it will kill your keyboard though. have you read any guides on keyboard cleaning? i recommend this one:

-snip-

Yeah I already read that one but it didn't say anything about the vacuum potentially killing LED's

3 hours ago, Magma Claw said:

I think maybe he has reached the point where shaking it upside down is no help..

It really isn't that bad, just a little dirty. I can probably shake it out tbh

10 hours ago, Daniel0898 said:

It really isn't that bad, just a little dirty. I can probably shake it out tbh

Haha lol if that works it works I guess!

While there might be a theoretical threat of static electricity, I'd probably lable that as nonsense. Personally, I vacuum my keyboard every other day. These things are pretty tough.

I replaced my old one because someone spilled lemonade over it and the sticky goo made it aweful to type. After getting a new one I just showered the old one. I literally took it into the bathtub and cleaned it with a relatively high preassure water stream and kitchen soap. After letting it sit for a few days it now is like it is brand new. Might have been luck though.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency